This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are Gen 4 and Gen 2 the best two gens?

#161EpsteinBarrPosted 12/28/2013 2:52:32 PM
You got it. Gen 1 is also up there.
#162LexifoxPosted 12/28/2013 2:53:06 PM
360pages posted...
Then what are pokemon moves, if moves are their equipment? And while they tried to tell a meaningful story in Gen 5, they lost certain game play aspects of choice, And even in Gen 5, there is very little interaction between the main character and the world, which it cannot be blamed for since they are a silent protagonist.

For all its achievements, Gen 5 story is just okay, and because the game needs you to be in very specific place at very specific times, it overall had to reduce the choice and order you could visit certain areas and places.

The point is that Pokemon have a lot of room for customization regarding what they can do in battle. There is choice here.

As for the latter, no. A story can be meaningful and not lose anything despite a lack of interaction with it. Even when one functions as an observer, a story does not lose meaning. That said, silent protagonist aside? You're still functioning as an important part of the story, by being the catalyst that makes N change his mind.

Even your choice of starter at the beginning of the original BW because you will always fight the gym leader of which your type is weak against, and they just gave you a monkey anyway. Compare that to those who picked Charmander or Chikorita in Gens 1 and 2. You didn't know what you were going to be up against, and once you found out that you were at a disadvantage you had to find a way around them. On the other had, if you picked the other two starters you would have a far easier time.

The first gym wasn't meant to be a standard first gym, but a way to help teach newer players about type matchups. It wasn't a traditional gym and shouldn't really be held to the same standards as a result.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#163360pagesPosted 12/28/2013 3:20:55 PM
Lexifox posted...
360pages posted...
Then what are pokemon moves, if moves are their equipment? And while they tried to tell a meaningful story in Gen 5, they lost certain game play aspects of choice, And even in Gen 5, there is very little interaction between the main character and the world, which it cannot be blamed for since they are a silent protagonist.

For all its achievements, Gen 5 story is just okay, and because the game needs you to be in very specific place at very specific times, it overall had to reduce the choice and order you could visit certain areas and places.

The point is that Pokemon have a lot of room for customization regarding what they can do in battle. There is choice here.

As for the latter, no. A story can be meaningful and not lose anything despite a lack of interaction with it. Even when one functions as an observer, a story does not lose meaning. That said, silent protagonist aside? You're still functioning as an important part of the story, by being the catalyst that makes N change his mind.

Even your choice of starter at the beginning of the original BW because you will always fight the gym leader of which your type is weak against, and they just gave you a monkey anyway. Compare that to those who picked Charmander or Chikorita in Gens 1 and 2. You didn't know what you were going to be up against, and once you found out that you were at a disadvantage you had to find a way around them. On the other had, if you picked the other two starters you would have a far easier time.

The first gym wasn't meant to be a standard first gym, but a way to help teach newer players about type matchups. It wasn't a traditional gym and shouldn't really be held to the same standards as a result.

They could have easily done that like they did with this game and just have the starters start with their type moves. Bosses are usually there to allow you to apply what you've learned up to that point in the game, which sadly pokemon games do not do well in the first place since it's very easy to make bosses use the mechanics well, but that is a completely different story.
---
Gamefaqs in a nutshell (http://error1355.com/img/gif/gamefaqscant.gif)
3DS friend code 1161-0910-0692
#164SOAD5657Posted 12/28/2013 3:54:14 PM
2 and 5 are my favorite. My least favorite is probably 4, but that's not saying I don't like it. I like all gens.
---
GET a load of THIS!!!!!
#165AzardeaPosted 12/28/2013 6:58:14 PM
6>5>4>3>2>1
#166InkSpell432Posted 12/28/2013 7:28:51 PM
To me, I always thought the newer games were better than the older ones, so this is pretty much my opinion:

6 > 5 = 4 > 3 >>> 2 = 1

In short, I liked 4th Generation, but not the 2nd one.

Pokemon X and Y are currently my favorite, slightly above Black and White 2 and Pokemon Platinum, while all re-released Generations are my least favorite, which there were 4 of them: FireRed, LeafGreen, HeartGold, and SoulSilver.
---
MapleStory - Khaini Server; Main: iDramaStory, Lv. 171 Shadower
3DS Friend Code: 4167 - 5868 - 3605; You may call me Nori, it's as good a name as any.
#167sonicfan1020Posted 12/28/2013 7:31:35 PM
Taiphlosion posted...
They're IMO, the worst two

still great, but the worst two

Pretty much.

Gen 1 is objectively the worst. Not even "good but still the worst", just awful. It does not deserve the worship it gets.
---
Xbox GT: DebatableBubble