This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Newer gens cater to competitive players at the expense of the game's quality

#1iKhan88Posted 12/28/2013 1:16:27 PM
I posted this in another thread, but I figured it was worth expanding into a full new thread

One thing that really bothers me about the newer gens is that I feel like they have shaved off game mechanics in order to make the game easier for competitive players.

For example, reusable TM's might be a really nice feature if you are playing competitively, and to be fair it has it's merits for in-game purposes as well. But the entire point of having TMs be consumable is a matter of resource management. You would want to be sure when you are teaching a TM to a Pokemon. It would also make pokemon that learn moves by level up much more useful. Moltres is a great example of a pokemon that was completely useless unless you wasted TMs. Resource management might be a bit annoying at first, but its something nearly all RPGs do, and something that does add a level of depth.

Same thing with Day/Night pokemon. While it might be nice to catch the pokemon for your competitive team whenever you want, it removes a degree of immersion from the game. You no longer feel like the game world is integrated with your real life world.

Here's another example. PP used to be a major factor in determining your pokemon's moveset. You would have to build your pokemon's moveset such that you didn't run out of PP in the middle of the Elite Four or a long cave. But with the advent of the consistently regrowable Leppa berry, you don't have to worry about it. Yes, there was the MysteryBerry in Gen 2, but you could only obtain 1 at a time, and it took a full day to regrow, so there was still a level of resource management involved. Now all of your Ethers and Elixirs you get might as well be dead weight, since you can grow as many Leppa berries as you damn well please. Before the Leppa berry, they were incredibly valuable and somewhat rare items that you'd want to save for situations in which you really need to recover PP.

I'm all for making the game easier for competitive players. Super Training and the IV checker are great ways to do this. But when it's done at the expense of making the in-game good, I have a problem.
---
"People fear and hate what is not normal. They are scared of those that are different. Then the solution is for everyone to become the same"-Yggdrasil
#2Companion_Cube_Posted 12/28/2013 1:17:57 PM
I've never had PP troubles.

I've played every main series game (Aside from thing like both Ruby and Sapphire, Gold and Silver, etc... Just one)
---
Pokemon Y Friend Safari Pokemon: Dedenne, Electabuzz, Zebstricka
3DS FC: 3024 - 5019 - 8681 (I'm low on Friend slots ATM) IGN: X
#3inTaCtfuLPosted 12/28/2013 1:18:33 PM
Lmao... wow
---
i7-3970X Extreme ~ Asus Rampage IV Extreme ~ 32 GB DDR3-2133 ~ 10 TB 7200RPM ~ 500 GB SSD ~ 690 x2 ~ 1200 W PSU Gold ~
#4CrazyfluffPosted 12/28/2013 1:19:17 PM
This is not survival horror, this is pokemon.
#5ChapFromKrugisPosted 12/28/2013 1:19:40 PM
I don't think anybody has ever cared about any of these things.
---
3DS FC: 5412-9912-6820 | Magmar, Larvesta, and Ninetales in Friend Safari |
IGN: Neo (Y) Makoto (X) | TSV: 1879
#6LexifoxPosted 12/28/2013 1:20:11 PM
You are just full of bad opinions today, aren't you?
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#7Godstriker8Posted 12/28/2013 1:20:22 PM
These are all non-issues. Pokemon has always been an easy single-player game, I really don't think any kids carefully consider who to give a TM to, or consider PP. Its easy enough that it doesn't matter, and I wasn't even aware that Leppa berries could be grown easily in this game yet I never once was wanting for one.
---
I'm just dickin aroouunnnd
SHAKE AND BAKE!
#8random_noobiePosted 12/28/2013 1:21:00 PM
ChapFromKrugis posted...
I don't think anybody has ever cared about any of these things.

---
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
FC: 0404-5961-8354
#9MJOLNRVIIPosted 12/28/2013 1:22:15 PM
I think you're just playing Pokemon for the worst reasons. All of those are terrible inconveniences and HM's entire existence ruins either your entire teams' movesets or takes up a slot on your team.
---
XBL GT: MercifulScarab PSN: DemonsniperM40 3DS FC: 3866-8391-7573
#10almightyjebus99Posted 12/28/2013 1:22:32 PM
I disagree with every point OP has except the day/night thing. I preferred it with certain pokemon only being available at a certain time of the day and the clock is easily changeable for competitive players.
---
1418 6848 6915
friend safari : Phantump, ?, ?