This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Newer gens cater to competitive players at the expense of the game's quality

#81Blue_GamerPosted 12/28/2013 6:45:57 PM
Glad that these mechanics aren't an issue anymore. As someone already mentioned, the games are not competitive enough as they are. Players need these kinds of distractions removed from the game so that they can focus more on training and team building. This isn't 1997, it's 2013. Everything is becoming global and competitive so these games will eventually have to follow. I actually want the games to be somewhat like Conquest (Nobunaga's Ambition).

A sidenote; hoping they'll make a secondary anime geared more towards adults as they did with Origins and the Trailer for BW (which got over a million views). There's definitely a market for it since most of the people that started off with it have grown older.
#82PentaoPosted 12/28/2013 7:03:53 PM
Erm... what?

Competitively, this gen was more about rebalancing old things than it was introducing new competitive elements.

+It nerfed weather, the most over powered thing in gen 5.

+It nerfed sleep, another incredibly over powered mechanic.

+It introduced a new type to help counter some of the most over powered types of the previous gens, but hey, fairy type was actually pretty casual too because of it's more cutesy look.

+It introduced some new items but that's pretty par for the course and has been part of practice since gen II.

Casually, this gen introduced a ton of things.

+PR Videos (which would probably be way more rampant if they could be distributed more easily).
+Clothing options.
+Breeding Pokemon can take Pokeball designs after their mothers.
+4 hotkey slots instead of the old menu select system.
+Convenient grinding area near a breeding area early game.
+Rollerskates.
+The Player Search System.
+Wonder Trading.
+Pokemon Amie

In terms fo a single player RPG, Pokemon has never been all too strong in that regard, because it's had to cater to children in many regards (story, difficulty, etc). The games never had the design to keep the player stuck in any given area, unable to defeat a certain trainer or something, and the game has always been about prepping you to get past things. Even in Gen II, you could trade for a Machop before fighting Whitney! Meanwhile, Pokemon HAS always focused on communicating with other players. Be it competitively or casually. You couldn't get every Pokemon without link cable trades, and you obviously wanted to see if you could beat your friends in battle or not.

Pokemon has not been designed as a purely single player RPG... like... ever. Pokemon that evolve only by trade accentuate this factor. The many forms of communicating with other players does as well. Hell, version exclusives! If you wanted a game where you just played a challenging and mindful single player game, you probably shouldn't have gotten Pokemon. If you wanted a relaxing single player game that's filled with childhood memories and the possibility of interacting with others who also like the series, then you chose right. Likewise, if you wanted to play for the social experience of battling others competitively then you also chose right.

I don't disagree that Pokemon has a weak single player campaign and all that, but I think it's only fair to say it simply hasn't been designed around that. Ever.
---
"Religion keeps pressing B when we try to evolve." - pirategeorge"
[3DS FC: 1934-0673-9848 (Pentao)]
#83Blue_GamerPosted 12/28/2013 7:41:15 PM
You're misunderstanding me. I'm not saying that the new games released are competitive but the opposite. I'm saying the creators of the game will eventually have to make the games more competitive in a global gaming world.

And as for as the comment about the game not being the right choice. Yes, the game is for me but I was just stating what many others are wishing for. That is to have the game more towards adults and I listed one of the previous games of how I hope it would be in the future.

I also addressed what the OP was stating and how those kinds of mechanics were of a nuisance. Now you can teach those TM's to more than one on your team. This helps you build a better team by giving them better move sets. Obviously TM's are just one factor for creating a good team which I'm sure you already know.
#84PentaoPosted 12/28/2013 7:42:10 PM
Blue_Gamer posted...
You're misunderstanding me. I'm not saying that the new games released are competitive but the opposite. I'm saying the creators of the game will eventually have to make the games more competitive in a global gaming world.

And as for as the comment about the game not being the right choice. Yes, the game is for me but I was just stating what many others are wishing for. That is to have the game more towards adults and I listed one of the previous games of how I hope it would be in the future.

I also addressed what the OP was stating and how those kinds of mechanics were of a nuisance. Now you can teach those TM's to more than one on your team. This helps you build a better team by giving them better move sets. Obviously TM's are just one factor for creating a good team which I'm sure you already know.

I wasn't responding to you lol. Was responding to the TC. I didn't even read your post.
---
"Religion keeps pressing B when we try to evolve." - pirategeorge"
[3DS FC: 1934-0673-9848 (Pentao)]
#85Blue_GamerPosted 12/28/2013 7:49:28 PM
Pentao posted...
Blue_Gamer posted...

I wasn't responding to you lol. Was responding to the TC. I didn't even read your post.

Was intending to ask if you were responding to me and why you didn't quote me if so. Hey, at least the thread was bumped Lol.
#8613121987Posted 12/28/2013 7:51:48 PM
This Thread forgot the entire point of the Pokémon game.

That is to collect and raise monsters, and have fun with your friends and families by connecting your monsters to their games to have fun.

Resource management? You are playing the wrong game though. Pokémon is a game where the developers go their way out to make sure you NEVER miss anything and will NEVER get stuck with or without resources; except for a few mislooked areas(Masterball in RE, Magikarp trade stuck in island)

Heck, before you even complain about resources, the NPC in recent Pokémon games literally appear out after every task you do to tell you where to go next with stupid excuses. And the enemies are dumb balloon heads. Why don't they gang up on you all at once?