This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why does the fire type resist the fairy type?

#11WinterXeo(Topic Creator)Posted 1/11/2014 9:26:26 AM
17Master posted...
Fire is average offensively (the only good defense type it hits super effective on is Steel) and weak defensively.

I don't think the type itself was weak defensively, just that fire type pokemon in general are kinda frail.
I would've given that resistance to the psychic type.
---
Friend Code: 4656-7017-8427 IGN: Xeios Neuge
Psychic Safari with espurr, drowzee and duosion
#12NextgrandcrossPosted 1/11/2014 9:26:26 AM
17Master posted...

Also, fire destroys forests and Fairies live in forests.

I would figure it's the whole Man vs Nature or Man made technology vs the Supernatural theme for the weaknesses for Fairies, so yeah it makes sense for Fire, Steel, and Poison to be effective on Fairies.
---
FC: 3196-4054-9565
Ditto, loudred, lilipup
#13PrettyTonyTigerPosted 1/11/2014 9:26:50 AM
FryDays5000 posted...
So Blaziken and Charizard X wouldn't die to cute angels.

I already did.. to Valerie lol :}
---
She turns around like a tornado!!
#14kazooie959Posted 1/11/2014 9:26:52 AM
Because GF ****** up?

I don't think there's many people who would argue against grass should have resisted fairy over fire but apparently we aren't that lucky

Again I said aren't many I know there's a few
---
I am the great Kazoo! FEAR THE FEATHERS!!!
Poke Balls. Don't leave home without them.
#15javel34Posted 1/11/2014 9:28:44 AM
lildragon0 posted...
javel34 posted...
Rock, ground, water weakness (and they are everywhere)

Resists grass and lolIce

Fire isn't very good defensively IMO.

Fire resists 6 types:
Fire, Grass, Ice, Bug, Steel, and Fairy

Fire is weak to 3 types:
Water, Ground, and Rock

But grass is the only real common one. The only time I worry about offensive steel moves is Scizors bullet punch. Water types are everywhere, and anything that carries rock moves also carries EQ it seems.
---
3DS FC: 1822-0159-2098 Luxio safari
#16Blackcat0123Posted 1/11/2014 9:28:51 AM
To be fair, a majority of popular Grass types are also poison, which resists Fairy, anyway.
---
PSN: Blackcat012 3DS FC: 0834 1716 7409 Trainer name: Albert
Your friendly neighborhood black guy who may or may not steal your bike, at your service!
#17WinterXeo(Topic Creator)Posted 1/11/2014 9:29:00 AM
KRDsonic posted...
Look at Stealth Rock, then tell me again that Fire type is balanced.

Well I would tell you to look at the ice and bug type. Ice is obvious and the bug is resisted by seven types.
---
Friend Code: 4656-7017-8427 IGN: Xeios Neuge
Psychic Safari with espurr, drowzee and duosion
#18GirlHopePosted 1/11/2014 9:32:44 AM
It has nothing to do with balancing the game and everything to do with what Fairies ARE. I've seen so many complaints about Fairies resisting Bug, and what I must say in regards to this is that Fire resists Fairy for the same reason that Fairy resist Bug. Not because of damn game mechanics. It is due to the fact that Fairies are mythical beings and only Fire can resist their magic. Steel resostsa them because if you take a pixzie and rub her on a silver platter, she will die. And fairies don't have a strong enough immune system to deal with Poison. Fire, though, is an entity that eats things where what it eats cannot be restored. Fairies thrive where they can restore...and poison prevents this, fire scars and demolishes, while steel sears Fairy flesh itself.

Now Bugs are on the other end of the line. They are to embedded in this world for their moves to do much damage to Fairies. Fairy resists Fighting because attacks with fists and use of brawn in excess is too much embedded in this world as well. As for Dark...Fairy resists that because it represents dark forces that inhabit actions committed by humans.on't jus

There's explanation enough of you exercise your brain. Honestly, Pokémon makes much more sese than the fanbase seems to claim. I'm fairly certain GameFreak spent a plethora of meetings making sure the had the types right.
#19demonofspartaPosted 1/11/2014 9:33:06 AM
Nextgrandcross posted...
17Master posted...

Also, fire destroys forests and Fairies live in forests.

I would figure it's the whole Man vs Nature or Man made technology vs the Supernatural theme for the weaknesses for Fairies, so yeah it makes sense for Fire, Steel, and Poison to be effective on Fairies.

these would make sense. i always thought it was because in stories that use magic sometimes fire is the catalyst. loki the norse god of trickery used fire in his illusions and magic along with steel are humanities weapons against fair folk.
---
PSN: demonofsparta. SSF4AE--Oni/Zangief. UMvC3 team--Haggar-FF3, Hulk-Green King, Akuma-.Cyber Akuma
3DS FC 1246-8716-3301
#20lildragon0Posted 1/11/2014 9:37:05 AM
javel34 posted...

But grass is the only real common one. The only time I worry about offensive steel moves is Scizors bullet punch. Water types are everywhere, and anything that carries rock moves also carries EQ it seems.

Water types were everywhere in gen 5 because rain was so powerful. Now, water types are just average and rain teams are virtually non-existent. Yes, rock and ground attacks often come together. That just makes it easier to know when to switch a fire type out. Do you keep water types in against electric/grass types?

As for steel, you could also add gyro ball, meteor mash, iron head and flash cannon from other pokemon. Those moves weren't so common in gen 5, but with fairies around, it's a different story.
---
FC: 4296-2981-8490