This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why does the competitive community have such double standard with typing?

#1iKhan88Posted 1/12/2014 5:18:02 PM
http://serebii.net/potw-xy/663.shtml

Today's POTW is a fantastic example. This mentions countless times across the entire article how good Fire/Flying is as a typing as long as you stay away from SR.

Do you know how many times I've been told that Charizard's Fire/Flying typing is a horrible typing and that it
A. Is a major factor for Charizard's lack in viability (Pre-mega forms)
B. Makes Bulky Mega Charizard Y a bad option.
C. Has overly redundant STAB coverage (I actually agree with this. POTW's assertion that Fire/Flying has terrific coverage is crap. It's decent, but nowhere near great)

Another fantastic example is looking at Smogon's analyses when they mention a pokemon's weaknesses. According to Smogon, every typing but Poison is a common attacking type. Seriously, I've seen analyses call BUG and STEEL common attacking types, and pointing out how horrible weaknesses to such moves are. At the same time, when it comes time to discuss how good typings are as a whole, or time to discuss a lesser used pokemon's offensive strength, stuff like Bug and Steel become horrible attacking types.

Does anyone else notice this? It seems like popular pokemon (in the competitive community, Charizard is NOT popular in that community) get the shortcomings in their typings dismissed, and the benefits exaggerated.
---
"People fear and hate what is not normal. They are scared of those that are different. Then the solution is for everyone to become the same"-Yggdrasil
#2Mewtwo_soulPosted 1/12/2014 5:23:46 PM(edited)
Not all people who are competitive agree on the same things.

Second: I think Fire Flying in general is not a good typing. (Though some Fire/Flyers are amazing: Ho-Oh obviously) but SR weakness, and having a weakness to 3 Common attacking types (Rock/Water and Ground with Mold Break/etc.) Isn't always a plus. Thank goodness most recent Fire/Flying Pokémon have had some great stats/move pool/mix reasons for doing so well.

Edit:

And on the Bug/STeel thing: U -turn is a great Bug-type attack move, but a majority of bugs suck offensively or in general is probably what they mean. Similar to base Charizard as a Fire/Flying type.
---
Only insecure and ignorant people try to debase someone online based on their username.
#3Sloth9230Posted 1/12/2014 5:21:35 PM
Charizard had other problems, not just typing. You didn't see Volcarona in NU did you?
---
Proud owner of a Ditto Friend Safari!!!! :D FC: 0189 - 9442 - 1365 IGN: Nero
All add request messages shall be ignored }:D
#4LightflamePosted 1/12/2014 5:21:48 PM
No, you gotta remember that Auroros has the best defensive typing in the game.
---
Too busy reading my cat books to make a gamer culture joke.
#5PentaoPosted 1/12/2014 5:25:56 PM
Bug and Steel are considered common simply because Scizor and Genesect exist.
---
"Religion keeps pressing B when we try to evolve." - pirategeorge"
[3DS FC: 1934-0673-9848 (Pentao)]
#6wind64aPosted 1/12/2014 5:26:01 PM
This is a new gen, and Stealth Rocks received a nerf through Defog now removing entry hazards. Unlike Rapid Spin, it can't be blocked by switching into a Ghost Type so it's much easier to remove quite a few of them. Vanilla Charizard's main issue is that it has stats geared towards a Special Attacker, but boosting moves for a Physical one. The Mega versions solve this issue somewhat, so people use them.
---
StrifeHart is my OTP. Official shiny Ninetales of the Pokemon X Board Riley's Boyfriend on the Pokemon BW2 & X boards. 3DS FC: 3050 8148 9673
#7R-A-VPosted 1/12/2014 5:26:55 PM
Lightflame posted...
No, you gotta remember that Auroros has the best defensive typing in the game.

It's a total monster in inverse battles.
#8Mewtwo_soulPosted 1/12/2014 5:27:17 PM
Pentao posted...
Bug and Steel are considered common simply because Scizor and Genesect exist.

This is also true.
---
Only insecure and ignorant people try to debase someone online based on their username.
#9SuprSaiyanRockrPosted 1/12/2014 5:29:43 PM
We simply need more tools to deal with Stealth Rock, is all. While not all Rapid Spin'ers are bad, that's one less slot that could be used for something people like (assuming they don't like any of the available spinners).

I don't want to hear anyone suggest 'Defog' >_<
---
GT/PSN: SuprSaiyanRockr - http://www.youtube.com/user/SuprSaiyanRockr
3DS FC: 3093-7125-1394
#10KrimSXGYPosted 1/12/2014 5:33:49 PM
Excelent fire/flying typing is actually code word for HURRDURR GALE WINGS
---
FC is 2750-1608-1191 Water Gyrados - Octillary - Frogadier
TSV- 1540 IGN Karen