This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why does the competitive community have such double standard with typing?

#11iKhan88(Topic Creator)Posted 1/12/2014 5:34:30 PM
Mewtwo_soul posted...
Not all people who are competitive agree on the same things.

Second: I think Fire Flying in general is not a good typing. (Though some Fire/Flyers are amazing: Ho-Oh obviously) but SR weakness, and having a weakness to 3 Common attacking types (Rock/Water and Ground with Mold Break/etc.) Isn't always a plus. Thank goodness most recent Fire/Flying Pokémon have had some great stats/move pool/mix reasons for doing so well.

Edit:

And on the Bug/STeel thing: U -turn is a great Bug-type attack move, but a majority of bugs suck offensively or in general is probably what they mean. Similar to base Charizard as a Fire/Flying type.

1. Mold Breaker doesn't affect Fire/Flying's ground immunity.

2. If that's what people mean, they need to refine their vocabulary to describe such things. Calling Bug or Steel a common attacking type implies that attacks of typing often used for coverage. Fighting and Ice are common attacking types. But outside of U-Turn and Bullet Punch, those Bug and Steel attacks are extremely rare, and low power at that. If someone wants to say something has a bad U-turn weakness, say it has a bad U-turn weakness, NOT that it's weak to a common attacking type. Being weak to one common low-powered move is a lot easier to deal with than being weak to common typing.
---
"People fear and hate what is not normal. They are scared of those that are different. Then the solution is for everyone to become the same"-Yggdrasil
#12omega bahumatPosted 1/12/2014 5:35:14 PM
SuprSaiyanRockr posted...
We simply need more tools to deal with Stealth Rock, is all. While not all Rapid Spin'ers are bad, that's one less slot that could be used for something people like (assuming they don't like any of the available spinners).

I don't want to hear anyone suggest 'Defog' >_<

taunt and magic bounce

i win
#13omega bahumatPosted 1/12/2014 5:35:46 PM
iKhan88 posted...
Mewtwo_soul posted...

Second: I think Fire Flying in general is not a good typing. (Though some Fire/Flyers are amazing: Ho-Oh obviously) but SR weakness, and having a weakness to 3 Common attacking types (Rock/Water and Ground with Mold Break/etc.) Isn't always a plus. Thank goodness most recent Fire/Flying Pokémon have had some great stats/move pool/mix reasons for doing so well.

Edit:

And on the Bug/STeel thing: U -turn is a great Bug-type attack move, but a majority of bugs suck offensively or in general is probably what they mean. Similar to base Charizard as a Fire/Flying type.

2. If that's what people mean, they need to refine their vocabulary to describe such things. Calling Bug or Steel a common attacking type implies that attacks of typing often used for coverage. Fighting and Ice are common attacking types. But outside of U-Turn and Bullet Punch, those Bug and Steel attacks are extremely rare, and low power at that. If someone wants to say something has a bad U-turn weakness, say it has a bad U-turn weakness, NOT that it's weak to a common attacking type. Being weak to one common low-powered move is a lot easier to deal with than being weak to common typing.

Scizor shows up in roughly 1 in every 10 games

that's pretty common for an attacking type to see
#14MJOLNRVIIPosted 1/12/2014 5:36:38 PM
Some types are practically just synonymous with moves. A ground type weakness for example basically equates to EQ.
---
XBL GT: MercifulScarab PSN: DemonsniperM40 3DS FC: 3866-8391-7573
#15iKhan88(Topic Creator)Posted 1/12/2014 5:36:50 PM
R-A-V posted...
Lightflame posted...
No, you gotta remember that Auroros has the best defensive typing in the game.

It's a total monster in inverse battles.

In inverse battles, aren't the types it resists much worse attacking types? It's weak to the much better Normal, Poison, and Flying attacks.
---
"People fear and hate what is not normal. They are scared of those that are different. Then the solution is for everyone to become the same"-Yggdrasil
#16Pervert_KuhnPosted 1/12/2014 5:39:42 PM
Mewtwo_soul posted...

Edit:

Pretty sure Mold Breaker can't hit flying. Flying type is not an ability.
---
The Official Almaz von Almandine Adamant of the Disgaea 4 Board
Pokemon X FC: 4768-7650-8206. In-Game Name: Evangeline
#17iKhan88(Topic Creator)Posted 1/12/2014 5:40:02 PM
omega bahumat posted...
iKhan88 posted...
Mewtwo_soul posted...

Edit:

Scizor shows up in roughly 1 in every 10 games

that's pretty common for an attacking type to see

No, it's a common attack. Not a common attacking type. Steel coverage is not something that is incredibly important to have. You don't see the likes of Salamence running Iron Tail for all the coverage benefits it brings (In Gen 5 at least, Gen 6 it helps against fairies).
---
#18SuprSaiyanRockrPosted 1/12/2014 5:43:30 PM
omega bahumat posted...
SuprSaiyanRockr posted...
We simply need more tools to deal with Stealth Rock, is all. While not all Rapid Spin'ers are bad, that's one less slot that could be used for something people like (assuming they don't like any of the available spinners).

I don't want to hear anyone suggest 'Defog' >_<

taunt and magic bounce

i win

Sounds good, but:

a) Magic bounce is available on three mons, none of which are particularly bulky.
b) Taunt is also good, as long as your mon is faster.

but, most importantly;

c) these are measures taken to prevent the attack from being used. I'm talking about means to remove them afterwards, in case preventions couldn't be made in time.
---
GT/PSN: SuprSaiyanRockr - http://www.youtube.com/user/SuprSaiyanRockr
3DS FC: 3093-7125-1394
#19Mewtwo_soulPosted 1/12/2014 5:43:42 PM
Pervert_Kuhn posted...
Mewtwo_soul posted...

Edit:

Pretty sure Mold Breaker can't hit flying. Flying type is not an ability.

I may have used the incorrect statement but there are options to hit flyers with Ground moves (Gravity although this is a gimmick normally) there are other alternatives.

>.>
---
Only insecure and ignorant people try to debase someone online based on their username.
#20Mewtwo_soulPosted 1/12/2014 5:45:20 PM
iKhan88 posted...
Mewtwo_soul posted...

Edit:

1. Yes, like I just posted ,I messed up my statement, but there are alternatives to that.

2. U-Turn is a very common move however, and many Pokémon that make use of it can be very nasty to those with a weakness in the first place. Alakazam (although the stereotypical frail Psychic) cries everytime U-Turn is used .
---
Only insecure and ignorant people try to debase someone online based on their username.