This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Still trying to understand IVs and EVs...

#1Fujinicole88Posted 1/14/2014 6:10:34 PM
Okay so I am still a little confused about all this IV and EV thing..
I read that EV is Effort Value and that can be raised by battling pokemon. So the EVs are the +3 (or what-have-you) and those raise the stats by however much it says, correct?

Now I understand that IVs are individual stats and perfect is 31/31... and all that... But what I want to know is if the EV or IV things are what it says when you look at the summary of a pokemon..
For example, I have a level 95 male Pangoro that has hp 316, attack 288, defense 173, spatk 143, spdef 154, and speed of 184.. Now is this what everyone is talking about?
---
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code 1392 4606 4660
#2FuneralCakePosted 1/14/2014 6:13:16 PM
For all intents and purposes, you will never see the exact IVs or EVs. The stat numbers are not IVs or EVs, and the amount you get after a level up is not IVs or EVs.

The only time you really see how many EVs your Pokemon has is if you use a Reset Bag in Super Training. Otherwise, they're pretty much invisible.
---
YOU WANT SOME FUNERAL TO GO WITH THAT CAKE?
| 3DS FC: 3437 - 4335 - 3104 | | Friend Safari: Panpour, Wartortle, Frogadier |
#3Fujinicole88(Topic Creator)Posted 1/14/2014 6:16:59 PM
Oh okay thanks for clarifying this for me.
So really the only way of knowing is to go to the stat judge guy then? Or use the calculator (which I really can't do as my math is horrible..) that someone linked me to?
---
#4Latias007Posted 1/14/2014 6:17:24 PM
IVs are hidden values that range from 0 to 31, and are assigned to each stat of an individual Pokemon. EVs are semi-hidden values that range from 0 to 252, and are assigned to each stat of an individual Pokemon, maxing at 510 EVs. These increase your Pokemon's stats depending on its level.

The formula for obtaining the stat increase is as follows:

Rounded down ((IV + Rounded down (EV/4)) * Level / 100)

This is added before the nature's modifier.
---
No more concealing, no more hiding. Open those castle doors and let it go. Let your talent build a magnificent world of snow. I hope you find your way.
#5iamBGSPosted 1/14/2014 6:18:14 PM
The on-screen stats are determined by a combination of the base stats for that species and the IVs (unchangeable) and EVs (trained) for that particular mon, as well as its level. I'm assuming this is one you used in-game and the EVs as a result are probably all over the place. If the EVs are known because you trained the mon intentionally, you could use an online calculator like Metalkid's to figure out the IVs.

If you take a Pokemon to the guy left of the counter in the Kilouse Pokemon Center, he will give you an overall gauge, tell you which IV is best or tied for best and roughly how good they are, as well as any IVs that are 0 on that mon.
---
0688 5336 2575 Pidgey, Swanna, Rufflet, PM me if you add please
Add me *before* contacting...don't have space for provisional adds
#6jayman7Posted 1/14/2014 6:20:21 PM(edited)
Fujinicole88 posted...
So the EVs are the +3 (or what-have-you) and those raise the stats by however much it says, correct?

Wronger than wrong and wrong and more wrong and, in conclusion, wrong.

Sorry, you triggered a small pet peeve of mine.

Those Little Plus Numbers you see when you level up are nothing. They mean as much as the points in Whose Line Is It Anyway?. They are best ignored. They're not EVs, they're not IVs, they're not stat gains, and they're not important... they're nothing more than misleading LPNs.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#7BugorchestraPosted 1/14/2014 6:20:46 PM
EV's:

EV's are Effort Values. For every 4 EV's a pokemon obtains in a stat, that stat will have a +1 at level 100. It's much easier to use Super Training to maximize EV's. You can only put up to 252 EV's in a stat, and you have a maximum of 510 EV's to use.. So let's say you are breeding an Infernape. You'll want it with Jolly nature (Boosts speed, reduces sp. attack) and put 252 Attack EV's onto it to maximize its power, and 252 Speed EV's to maximize... speed. Now you'll have 504 EV's. The remaining 4 EV's you should put in HP to give it more bulk and make the HP stat an odd number to diminish Stealth Rock damage. The remaining 2 EV's are useless.

IV's:

IV's are Individual Values. Every pokemon is born with a random Individual Value for each stat and these can't be changed. But the offspring's IV's can be manipulated. You can manipulate the IV's of the offspring by breeding it with parent A holding a Destiny Knot (this item passes on a total of 5 IV's between the two parents and they never overlap) and Parent B (this one must have the nature you want on the pokemon) holding an Everstone (everstone passes on nature). This way, the offspring will have 5 IV's total from both fathers (it's possible it gets all the bad ones) and the correct nature from the other.

Example: Infernape (M), 31 HP / 31 Attack / xx Defense / xx Sp. Attack / xx Sp. Defense / 31 Speed

+

Infernape (F), xx HP / 31 Attack / 31 Defense / xx Sp. Attack / 31 Sp. Defense / 31 Speed

=

High chances of obtaining: Infernape (M) or (F), 31 HP / 31 Attack / 31 Defense / xx Sp. Attack / 31 Sp. Defense / 31 Speed

To calculate chances, use: http://www.destinyknot.tk
---
I go on message boards to complain about games I never played.
Pokemon Y FC: 2621 - 3011 - 8514, IGN: Osc, Rock Safari: Onyx, Boldore, Barbaracle
#8Fujinicole88(Topic Creator)Posted 1/14/2014 6:25:40 PM
iamBGS posted...
The on-screen stats are determined by a combination of the base stats for that species and the IVs (unchangeable) and EVs (trained) for that particular mon, as well as its level. I'm assuming this is one you used in-game and the EVs as a result are probably all over the place. If the EVs are known because you trained the mon intentionally, you could use an online calculator like Metalkid's to figure out the IVs.

If you take a Pokemon to the guy left of the counter in the Kilouse Pokemon Center, he will give you an overall gauge, tell you which IV is best or tied for best and roughly how good they are, as well as any IVs that are 0 on that mon.

Yes I did use this pokemon in game and I did feed it some of those calcium/proteins/etc that I had found in game, but I did not really understand what I was/am doing...

I think I will just give up trying to understand this thing because it is giving me a headache.
Sorry for all the bother and thanks to everyone that took the time to read this and/or post.
---
#9LontaBeansPosted 1/16/2014 2:33:52 PM
TC, please understand.
---
I was once modded for bumping my thread the first time. >_> Well played mods.
[This signature was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]