This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Competitive Pokemon Battling is basically Rock-Paper-Scissors... it's luck.

#1AnimeKid1089Posted 1/16/2014 8:55:45 AM
...from what I can see with this game. It's nothing more than luck, grinding, and guessing (and I hate that there HAS to be a "best Pokémon" or a "best team". That's not competition, that's basically mindless fun without strategy. Let me go into more detail:

1.) Grinding: This would be worth it if Pokémon could survive battles for a longer than 5 seconds to a minute (if battles themselves lasted longer than even 5 minutes on a daily basis). But no, you go through hours upon hours of putting the right EVs, IVs, moves, team combinations, leveling up, and items. And what do you get in the end? One-shot kills from an opposing Pokémon regardless. You spend hours building your Pokémon from the ground up to do a battle that lasts for more than a 20th of the time.

2.) Luck: The way you win is mostly through prediction (or guessing), bluffing, and the best Pokémon. And what's worse, is that this new Mega Evolution feature has no penalty at all. You basically have no reason to not use it other than that it's overpowered and want to prove your worth. But even then all you really need to win is the best moves, the best Pokémon, and the best EV placement, and you're golden (if you can also have the Psychic ability to figure out what the opponent will do than spam the same moves for one-hit kills). Faster Pokémon also do better, period (and that's all Speed is good for; going first. Whoope dee doo).

3.) Guessing: Like I said, it's nothing more than prediction.

I'm done with Pokémon. It's not fun to work in a video game, and it's not especially fun that all your hard work only applies to battles that last for such a short time. I think I'll play a real strategic competitive game, like... StarCraft.
---
I am not a kid, nor a huge fan of anime, so don't ask.
#2MahoganyTooth92Posted 1/16/2014 8:57:31 AM
My main problem with comp play is that attacks can crit randomly.

That's basically throwing everything that could possibly be balanced out the window.
---
"I'm amazed TC is still posting. It's not your everyday run of the mill stupidity. This is advanced stupidity." -nickizgr8
3DS FC: 2234-8306-6237
#3AnimeKid1089(Topic Creator)Posted 1/16/2014 9:01:34 AM
MahoganyTooth92 posted...
My main problem with comp play is that attacks can crit randomly.

That's basically throwing everything that could possibly be balanced out the window.

That is part of the luck factor, which I failed to point out, sadly. Thanks.
---
I am not a kid, nor a huge fan of anime, so don't ask.
#4Lady-LucyPosted 1/16/2014 9:01:49 AM
tl;dr I'm mad because I can't predict correctly and my non 100% Accuracy moves miss sometimes.

Also, no game allows you to simply go into the competitive scene without investing any time before hand, that's just how the competitive scene works.

Also, you don't HAVE to use the "best" to succeed, a little bit of brain alongside your favorites can get you really far,
example, K8WG-WWWW-WWW4-JNNY
---
If Cynthia were to be your Sidekick, you'd end up being her sidekick instead.
And thus, you end up as a comedy relief sidekick, http://i.imgur.com/EZG0Fx2.jpg
#5mazaratePosted 1/16/2014 9:02:03 AM
The only thing that I don't like is a 90% acc move missing while the other guy hits me with the wisp lol -_-
---
Fc is 0447-6345-6157 my shiny value is 265
Ps. I have instacheck so don't try and be stupid...
#6Genericgamer667Posted 1/16/2014 9:04:07 AM
oh look another one who thinks mega evolution is op

shows you know nothing at all
---
3DS FC: 4940-5445-8767
It is a remake, not my fault you people think ports are remakes (but only on Nintendo systems)-Demondog666 on Kid Icarus Uprising
#7protopartyPosted 1/16/2014 9:09:40 AM
well,
1) Do you breed a team and then only use it for 1 battle? After they're all built the way you want, you never have to train them again, and can continually use them in battles, so it's not spending hours to build a poke you only use for 10 mins, it's a poke you can use for 10 mins as many times as you want.

2) the prediction game is just a core concept of playing any turn based game against another person. It's like Chess.

3) luck is touchy, though. moves like Fire Blast and Will o wisp and such have a chance to miss, but that's more of a risk/reward type system, where you use something you know is really strong, but because it's so strong there has to be a risk to using it too. Also there's crits which are 100% chance, I can see why people don't like them so much.
---
FC: 0259 - 0484 - 0591
#8NME_EnterprisesPosted 1/16/2014 9:13:10 AM
AnimeKid1089 posted...
I'm done with Pokémon. It's not fun to work in a video game, and it's not especially fun that all your hard work only applies to battles that last for such a short time. I think I'll play a real strategic competitive game, like... StarCraft.

actual competitive starcraft matches are incredibly short, and the practice needed to get up there can take fairly long
---
People who've needed "a monstah to clobbah dat dere Kirbeh!": 137
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/15/heartscream2.jpg
#9Soldier_0_CrossPosted 1/16/2014 9:16:26 AM
NME_Enterprises posted...
AnimeKid1089 posted...

actual competitive starcraft matches are incredibly short, and the practice needed to get up there can take fairly long

Matches can go fairly long in sc2, like 20-30 min sometimes usually theyre over shorter (keep in mind the in game clock runs faster than real life).

But yes, getting up in SC is a long and frustrating journey, never could break out of Diamond myself.
---
Go beyond the impossible and kick reason to the curb!
3DS friend code: 0061-1248-7291
#10Necro_SlainPosted 1/16/2014 9:16:29 AM
Lady-Lucy posted...
tl;dr I'm mad because I can't predict correctly and my non 100% Accuracy moves miss sometimes.

Also, no game allows you to simply go into the competitive scene without investing any time before hand, that's just how the competitive scene works.

Also, you don't HAVE to use the "best" to succeed, a little bit of brain alongside your favorites can get you really far,
example, K8WG-WWWW-WWW4-JNNY

Nicely done... Looks like you only needed two pokes and that guy basically screwed himself over. If he had actually used a priority user or even simply status'd your Slakoth he probably could of done something with only minimal casualties...but he was pure, regular offense, and paid for it.
---
The official Chaos Blade of the Darks Souls Xbox 360 board.
GT: Pinkies Pie