This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should IVs be removed for future games?

#1LouELasticPosted 1/16/2014 9:19:22 PM
Now, I am by no means new to online competitive Pokemon battling. I've been a regular since Generation 4 and appreciate the many improvements made to the game mechanics over the years. Still, even though it has gotten easier since the earlier gens (especially X/Y), I absolutely despise IV breeding and IVs in general. My reasons are as follows:

1. Despite improvements (destiny knot), IV breeding is an enormous chore. I place a lot of emphasis on CHORE. Typically, breeding a full poke team with a 5-31 IV spread (because who really wants to waste their time going for 6 full) can take several hours. Essentially doing nothing but running around in circles for hours is not my idea of enjoying my gameplay experience.
2. Talonflame is everyone's most used Pokemon on their bios. This isn't really a big deal at all, but isn't it kind of sad that it's there merely to speed up the breeding process? By the way, I love Talonflame as a battler, just to be clear.
3. Almost every pokemon, regardless of the metagame, will have the same 5-31 IV spread among competitive players with your only legitimate exceptions being mixed attackers and walls. So...what's the point?
4. There is already enough variability factoring in natures, EV spreads, and abilities.
5. Speaking of variability, I have heard supporters say it's important that every pokemon caught be different = more realistic. C'mon...combining pokemon and realism? And what, that pokemon I caught isn't strong, so I have to make it a sex slave in order to get a stronger version? Doesn't seem realistic when comparing it to the Pokemon series.
6. Because of how annoyingly long it takes, only people that have that amount of time on their hands have time to max IVs for 20-30 pokes. What about the casual gamer that has other things to do? I want to battle, not spend 50 hours breeding.

Bottom line: The IV mechanic needs to be
made significantly easier or just removed completely. I understand they're used in determining ancient power typing, but seriously...there has to be a better way. Either allow it so your baby pokes CANNOT have lower IVs than the parent (which would cut out a load of time) or use EVs only. EVs are more what Pokemon is all about. IVs, however, are a load of BS.

What does you think? Feel free to agree/disagree.
#2Xenesis XenonPosted 1/16/2014 9:23:51 PM
Yeah. IVs fundamentally add nothing to the game except timesink.
---
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled AW community on the web.
#3CountPopeulaPosted 1/16/2014 9:26:59 PM
Yes, it needs to go. People don't understand that "less tedious" is not the same thing as "not tedious". I tend to think hackers are the only people who want IVs to stay. If IVs go, suddenly every legendary with a good nature is a 6IV competitive pokemon.

And there are plenty of open memory addresses in a pokemon's block, not to mention the addresses currently used by IVs, that could be assigned to represent Hidden Power.

IVs add nothing and make breeding more tedious. They're a bad mechanics and need to go.
---
I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. - Voltaire
#4Rook_the_RangerPosted 1/16/2014 9:44:47 PM
CountPopeula posted...
I tend to think hackers are the only people who want IVs to stay.

I don't think that's necessarily true. Hackers wouldn't be around if IVs weren't around. They hack to bypass this terrible system.

Mostly self entitled players, hackers or not, want IVs to stay. Both can want an unfair numbers advantage over their opponents. The non-hackers that luck their way through just think they are righteous because they didn't cheat.

The non-hackers that don't luck their way through, but want the IV system to stay are the only ones I respect although I still do disagree with them.
---
3DS FC: 3539-9001-1157 Pokemon name: Luxoway
#5Sanosuke92Posted 1/16/2014 9:45:05 PM
Maybe not eliminate them, but definitely do what they did with EV's and make them possible to min/max without outside knowledge. Somehow make I'vs a visable stat and find a way to increase them without it being cryptic.

Or just cut it out and give every pokemon more EV's to compensate.
#6TropiOUsPosted 1/16/2014 9:47:58 PM
Sanosuke92 posted...
Maybe not eliminate them, but definitely do what they did with EV's and make them possible to min/max without outside knowledge. Somehow make I'vs a visable stat and find a way to increase them without it being cryptic.

Or just cut it out and give every pokemon more EV's to compensate.

This sounds good and kills one of the main 2 reasons for hacking, the other reason for hacking is getting obscure/japan only events.
---
Yes, I'm that guy from Smogon.
#7mcelv52aPosted 1/16/2014 9:48:58 PM
terrible idea implemented in a terrible way, that takes up the most time and isn't fun in any aspect.
---
Gt: Suicidal pooh Pokemon XFC: 3840-6875-3789
#8CountPopeulaPosted 1/16/2014 9:52:09 PM
Rook_the_Ranger posted...
CountPopeula posted...

I don't think that's necessarily true. Hackers wouldn't be around if IVs weren't around. They hack to bypass this terrible system.

Mostly self entitled players, hackers or not, want IVs to stay. Both can want an unfair numbers advantage over their opponents. The non-hackers that luck their way through just think they are righteous because they didn't cheat.

The non-hackers that don't luck their way through, but want the IV system to stay are the only ones I respect although I still do disagree with them.

Oh, I realize that it's the terrible design that encourages people to hack. But I have trouble believing anyone who has to breed and soft reset for all their pokemon really thinks that mechanic should stay in the game.
---
I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. - Voltaire
#9Rook_the_RangerPosted 1/16/2014 10:00:45 PM
CountPopeula posted...
Rook_the_Ranger posted...
CountPopeula posted...

Oh, I realize that it's the terrible design that encourages people to hack. But I have trouble believing anyone who has to breed and soft reset for all their pokemon really thinks that mechanic should stay in the game.

There are people that think it should stay and actually go through the whole process to get a perfect 'mon. They call it "hard work" and stuff and think it's a key part of the game. To me, they're worse than the hackers that want it to stay because they have self righteousness on top of self entitlement.
---
3DS FC: 3539-9001-1157 Pokemon name: Luxoway
#10sonic2307Posted 1/16/2014 10:04:58 PM
IVs must go. There is no difference between a bred 6 IV poke and a hacked 6 IV poke.
---
I'm Sonic. Sonic the Hedgehog.
3DS FC: 0962-9436-8898 Name: Shadow the Hedgehog Friend Safari: Kecleon, Aipom and Chansey