This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should IVs be removed for future games?

#11metroidfan987Posted 1/16/2014 11:06:15 PM
Yes, IV need to go. Also, unless Game Freak will implement a Battle Chateau-like facility in all future games from now on, Rare Candies need to be on the Pokemart selection. And PP Max also needs to be on the Pokemart selection, with or without a Battle Chateau.
#12FuneralCakePosted 1/16/2014 11:06:39 PM
I don't think IVs should go entirely, and I do think that gen 6 has made some drastic improvements to the IV system, but they should definitely be easier to control and to get max IVs, or whatever IV spread you want.
---
YOU WANT SOME FUNERAL TO GO WITH THAT CAKE?
| 3DS FC: 3437 - 4335 - 3104 | | Friend Safari: Panpour, Wartortle, Frogadier |
#13TheAquaman803Posted 1/16/2014 11:09:37 PM
Yes!
---
SSBB FC: 2020-5299-7105
#14Chenmaster2Posted 1/16/2014 11:10:45 PM
FuneralCake posted...
I don't think IVs should go entirely, and I do think that gen 6 has made some drastic improvements to the IV system, but they should definitely be easier to control and to get max IVs, or whatever IV spread you want.

My only complaint is legendaries really.

They made it easier but how to make it more convenient without the game literally asking you what IVs you want to input into the legendary you are capturing is kind of hard to do.

Honestly I don't think Gamefreak is getting rid of the IV system I mean I could be wrong but IIRC one of the NPCs in the game tells you like isn't great that pokemon even if they're the same species can be unique and have different characteristics.
---
Swag. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pKDsdzODv0
ACNL Dream Address: 4800-2736-0484
#15SkyknightPosted 1/16/2014 11:11:59 PM
The idea of IVs back in RGBY was to add individuality to pokemon of the same species (this was before Natures, remember), as well as, I suspect, to give you an incentive to catch multiples of the same species (this was before breeding; getting a critter with all 5 IVs at zenith was, to put it mildly, unlikely). Given that competitive play hadn't really bloomed when G3 came out, Game Freak wasn't exactly under pressure to change that element.

The very existence of the Destiny Knot's new effect makes me think that GF really was considering abolishing IVs. However, given that Hidden Power is still tied up with IV formations, and there's no sign of a Fairy version of HP, I'm thinking that the rush that GF was under didn't give them much breathing room to both put in a new variable or personality value formula to compute HP's type AND make sure transferred pokemon would keep their HP type. Thus, for the sake of HP, IVs stick around for now.

Still, now that the work of making cel-shading-compatible 3D models for the current critters is complete, they should have that much more time to get a proper HP system for G7 that actually will let them do away with IVs, no matter how much pressure Nintendo might put them under. (Expect the stats then to be the same as for an all-17-IVs creature now.)
---
3DS FC 1246-8792-4625; 3DS name: Skyknight; Pokemon Y name: Suzaku
FS denizens: Tangela, Ivysaur, Maractus
#16sonic2307Posted 1/16/2014 11:14:24 PM
Chenmaster2 posted...
FuneralCake posted...

My only complaint is legendaries really.

They made it easier but how to make it more convenient without the game literally asking you what IVs you want to input into the legendary you are capturing is kind of hard to do.

Honestly I don't think Gamefreak is getting rid of the IV system I mean I could be wrong but IIRC one of the NPCs in the game tells you like isn't great that pokemon even if they're the same species can be unique and have different characteristics.

They don't really expect you to understand IVs, EVs etc. Of course, there is the internet.
---
I'm Sonic. Sonic the Hedgehog.
3DS FC: 0962-9436-8898 Name: Shadow the Hedgehog Friend Safari: Kecleon, Aipom and Chansey
#17mech dragonPosted 1/16/2014 11:15:43 PM
It's been consensus since Gen 4 (at least) that fans do not like IVs.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ZCcEmHO.jpg http://i.imgur.com/OHcGZ4e.jpg
#18SkyknightPosted 1/16/2014 11:23:06 PM
mech dragon posted...
It's been consensus since Gen 4 (at least) that fans do not like IVs.

At least, Anglophone fans. Do we have anything from the Japanese retinue, at least, seeing how they're the primary audience?

But that aside, that we seem to have only noticed that antipathy since G4 might explain the situation. GF doesn't want a repeat of the G2/G3 incompatibility, but they still had HP tied to IVs. So, to make transfer from GX to G(X+1) completely changeless for the immigrants, regardless of equipped moves...
---
3DS FC 1246-8792-4625; 3DS name: Skyknight; Pokemon Y name: Suzaku
FS denizens: Tangela, Ivysaur, Maractus
#19LansfieldPosted 1/16/2014 11:26:00 PM
What should be removed is the XXXXX Steps to HATCH for eggs.

drains so much time which I could've spent studying or something.
---
3DS - Pokemon Y - FC - 1993-8518-1210
#20shiningpikablu252Posted 1/16/2014 11:35:40 PM
Removing IVs? That has to be one of the stupidest ideas ever come up with! IVs have been part of Pokémon since day one, as one of the three original DVs (the other two being level and stat experience; the third generation onward added two more DVs, the nature value and gender value). The IVs are the one DV that allow each individual Pokémon to be portrayed as unique! This was true back when IVs were between 0-15 in the first two generations, and it's still true with the current 0-31 range. Without IVs, stat experience and nature would be the only means to make stat modifications, and as a result, players would quicky turn Pokémon into a cookie-cutter RPG--get your nature right, put in the stat experience the right way, and slap on a standardized moveset, there's no such thing as a truly unique Pokémon, defeating pretty much the entire point of the Pokémon franchise. In fact, Pokémon going cookie-cutter would pretty much destroy the competitive metagame--quite ironic, considering how "competitive battlers" make up a sizable portion of those who want IVs gone.

Furthermore, if IVs were eliminated, Pokémon stats across the board would be lower than in past generations. A few examples:

-HP of Blissey: 620 before stat experience investment, 683 with maximum stat experience investment
-Attack of Mega Mewtwo X, assuming beneficial nature: 423 before stat experience investment, 492 with maximum stat experience investment
-Defense of Shuckle and Mega Aggron, and Sp.Def of Shuckle, assuming beneficial nature: 511 before stat experience investment, 580 after stat experience investment
-Speed of Deoxys's Speed Form, assuming beneficial nature: 401 before stat experience investment, 470 with maximum stat experience investment
-Sp.Atk of Mega Mewtwo Y, assuming beneficial nature: 432 before stat experience investment, 501 with maximum stat experience investment
-Barring a complete change in the move's mechanics (which admittedly probably would happen in the extremely unlikely event IVs actually do get eliminated), Hidden Power would be a 60-power Fighting-type move (Hidden Power has been reliant on the IVs from the moment it was introduced). Prior to the sixth generation, it would have been a 30-power Fighting-type move instead (Vacuum Wave has 10 more power and priority, for the record)...
-Only 27 Pokémon would be capable of making 101 HP Substitutes, as the base stat needed to allow such a strategy would now be 116. (28 Pokémon would be capable, but one of those Pokémon is Wobbuffet, who's unable to learn the move...)

Simply put, it's IVs that define Pokémon as we know it today. Getting rid of IVs just might kill the franchise...
---
I am a die hard Pokemon fan to the most, including the traditional hate of Yu-Gi-Oh.