This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Pokemon Bank?

#21Edward_Tivrusky(Topic Creator)Posted 1/18/2014 8:11:26 AM
Serebii from SPP posted...
People need to stop thinking "Oh, it's just a few kb per Pokémon...it should be fine".

It's not just storage which is the issue, it's bandwidth, and that's what crippled them.

The backend infrastructure which is what I was talking about initially. Thank you.
---
3DS FC: 1805-3170-2488
#22Serebii from SPPPosted 1/18/2014 8:26:50 AM
Edward_Tivrusky posted...
Serebii from SPP posted...

Losses are at the millions, not the billions. If you're going to criticise them, get the facts straight. MS and Sony have both had many, many years where their gaming divisions have lost a lot more and they could be seen as being in a worse position, but because they're part of a bigger company, they're able to hold off longer.

I did say billions, I believe the estimate was 25B in losses from 55B profit. Please take the time to fully read my post. I'm not concerned about the longevity of Nintendo and am not going to get into a discussion about splitting losses in one industry across your earnings from several others or other corporate strategies.

Sorry if this is a double post.

That's in YEN, not dollars.
---
Serebii from the amazing Serebii.net
Your #1 Source for ALL Pokémon Games & Anime info as the top online Pokédex & Attackdex!
#23PyroFly XPosted 1/18/2014 9:56:50 AM
Edward_Tivrusky posted...
Caolan_2k9 posted...

They're losing money because of the wii u and that's their own fault.
Also, x and y has been out since the middle of october. As you said these things take time, and they do, but they had 2 solid months to prepare the servers and upgrade them for the traffic which they didn't.
I could be wrong but from what a ton of people say on here nintendo are terrible at this type of thing and always have been.

Nintendo has been late to adopt online services, and they've done so in a really clunky way with FC's. They're changing with NNID's. The game has been out since October, but I'm sure they weren't working on the Bank. That's why it's included in an update patch/additional software.I was also talking about infrastructure, the servers, outsourcing of data, etc. Not the application development itself.

The Wii U is another discussion entirely. Poor marketing, Lack of titles (aside from first party), slow first year, initial cost, etc.

beebarb posted...
Safari_Dude posted...
...amounts to roughly 30 TB of storage space needed. You can store that on a single hard drive...

Wow, so wrong, unless you are confusing GB and TB.

Only drives up to 4TB exist. Anything larger is faked by two or more drives in an enclosure.

Network drives can be quite large, 30 TB is nothing. I think Uncharted 3 was like 20+ TB when it was uncompressed.

A network drive is still comprised of traditional storage (e.g., hard drives, magnetic tape, etc.) - no one drive is 30 TB. Likely they are comprised of many hard drives a RAID array to appear and act as if they were a single drive.
---
3DS FC: 4167-4620-2679 (Pokemon Y Name: Manroth - FC Safari: Barbaracle, Nosepass, and Pupitar)
#24RemembranceSkyPosted 1/20/2014 2:16:01 PM
CakeOfLies posted...
Nobody has any info on the NA release of Pokemon Bank.

---
Whuttttttt..whutt..what. What? WHAT. WHATT WHAAAAAAAAAAAT (ノ◕‿◕)ノ✿