This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The Official Shiny Pokemon Guide: Masuda Method, a Fishing Rod, and YOU! v1

#1DarkstaPosted 1/19/2014 10:46:49 PMmessage detail(edited)
Howdy! Darksta here!

So, you want a Shiny Pokemon of your own and don’t want to get a cloned one through the trade boards (or simply cant). You’ve heard from your friend that getting a Shiny Pokemon in Pokemon X and Pokemon Y has become easier than ever! In fact, they are correct! But while it has become easier, that does not mean it is not time consuming! Read on for Darksta's (thats me!) The Masuda Method and You! & Lucidious89's Official Kalos Fishing Guide to Shiny Pokemon!

The Masuda Method and You!

The Masuda Method (MM) was hinted at by GameFreak Director Junichi Masuda in his blog post on 12/14/2007. In his blog, Masuda says the following;
I have a confident that the player will sure to trade their Pokemon at least once with this GTS system. However, I wondered how we could make the trade number of times…
Not only domestic, but overseas trading, especially the people you have never met. This was the big theme of creating GTS in Pokemon Diamond and Pearl.
I believe high game playability means, to make the game fun playing many times repeatedly. Same as this GTS. So we considered the following contents…

…>rare colored Pokemon’s Egg can be found little easier….

Ideas like above are incorporated in the game.
It requires a very large effort...

After this reveal, the Shiny Method of hatching was discovered by Smogon (a group of people dedicated to the Meta game of Pokemon) and subsequently named the “Masuda Method”.

Okay okay, but what IS the method?!

The Method is actually pretty simple. Two Pokemon of different regions need to breed. The offspring produced will have a higher chance of hatching as a Shiny.

Prior to the Masuda Method discovery, a normal person hatching Pokemon eggs has a 1 in 8192 (1/8192) of hatching a Shiny. In Generation 4 according to data miners at Smogon, the Masuda Method greatly reduces that number (by 75%!) to 1 in 2048 (1/2048 chance). In generation 5 (Black and White Series) this number was discovered to have been increased by 6 from the original 1 in 8192 to 1 in 1365 (1/1365 chance of hatching a Shiny).

A current test on Smogon is going under the assumption that the rate is actually 3/2048 (1/682) assuming that the rate continued to increase in a similar pattern from the previous games. Further research from Project Pokemon also conclude that the number is 1/682 for a chance of hatching a Shiny.

Wow! So I can get a Shiny in NO time huh!

Hold on one second young grasshopper. I said that it would take time and I meant it.

Things Needed For Masuda Method of Breeding

-Two Pokemon of compatible egg group and different genders, or 1 poke and a ditto. One Pokemon needs to be foreign.
A foreign Pokemon means one that is not from your region (language). You will know if it if from a different region by looking at the top left corner of the Pokedex screen. If it is from your game, their wont be anything there (http://i.imgur.com/YLdReIX.jpg). A 3 letter acronym for the region will be displayed there, such as JPN, FRE, or KOR if it did not originate in your game (http://i.imgur.com/DHPkMBm.jpg)

-Access to the Pokemon Day Care on Route 7.

-A Bicycle (it will make things go quicker) which is received in Cyllage City.

-Money (depending on how you wish to do this).

-A Pokemon with Flame Body Ability to reduce the amount of steps needed to hatch the egg. (Fletchinder, who evolves from Fletchling, has this ability.)

-Hatching O Power.

Note: While you can do this without a pokemon with Flame body and Hatching O Power you risk making an already long process even longer.
---
Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didnt.
Erica Jong
#2Darksta(Topic Creator)Posted 1/19/2014 10:19:05 PMmessage detail(edited)
How to Hatch a Shiny

Alright. Assuming you have at least the above 6 things, here is a good method for hatching

Darksta’s Method: Start of the Game version (for those without fly)

-Deposit both of your Pokemon in the Pokemon Daycare via the Daycare lady. Keep in mind that each level costs 100 peso’s (or what ever you want to call the money). Put the rest of your Pokemon in the PC except for your flame body Pokemon.

-Save your game.

-Go outside and talk to the man facing towards the stables (he wears his hat backwards so it’s annoying if you aren’t paying attention). If he says that the two Pokemon get along then you are set. If he says they prefer other Pokemon then the egg groups are not compatible.

-Bike down to the cave to the left of the Daycare, then bike all the way to the right into the town. Continue doing this until the Daycare man turns around (you’ll see his face, but his hat is backwards still. Hipster) and speak to him. He will ask if you want the egg. Say yes (You can say no however. He basically looks at you like an idiot and asks you again if you want it. If you say yes he gives you the egg, if not then he takes it and keeps it for dinner).

-Now bike back and forth down the path, picking up more eggs as you go. Personally I found this easier than filling my bank with eggs, as breeding with a ditto tends to produce eggs quicker than you can hatch them.

-Eventually you will start hatching eggs. PLEASE BE AWARE Some Pokemon have very very subtle Shiny changes. The ONLY place you will see the shiny form at this point is at the hatched screen (The 3D model). The actual sprite is not shiny, so looking down at the Super Trainer screen won’t help.

-After you have filled up your party you have several options. You can deposit these into your PC, Open your PC and release them, or WT them off. The other thing that you could do is soft reset, and load the game back up at the save. The second option saves money, but the first saves time.

But Professor Darksta, if I reset the game, don’t I reset my Shiny chance rate?

Hmm. Are you a boy, or are you a girl?

Actually, this is the part where I tell you no and explain why this thing takes so long. You see, the Masuda Method increases the chance of hatching a Shiny between 1/682 to 1365. This does not mean however, that if you hatch 681 Pokemon, or 1364 Pokemon, that the next one will be Shiny. The hatch rate is for each egg. So the 1st Pokemon you hatch has the same exact chance of hatching a shiny as the 2,000th.

So by soft resetting you don’t lose the chance of obtaining a shiny. It can just take longer, and depending on your method of breeding (as in, if you are breeding egg moves or for IV’s), the babies may be good trades for other pokes.

Okay. Is there another method for hatching?

Yes. It involves all the steps above except instead of biking back and forth in front of the daycare center, you fly to Lumiose City and bike around the city using a dime to keep your thumb stick in one direction. This may be faster for some people. I did not have fly at the time so I did my method. Please realize that the other method works for many people. Since I have no real experience with it i can't talk about it in great details.

What was the name of my Grandson Again?
---
Erica Jong
#3Darksta(Topic Creator)Posted 1/19/2014 10:09:12 PMmessage detail
FAQ:

1. How long does this process take?

Sadly, it is all up to luck. While the Masuda Method greatly increases your chance of finding a Shiny, the exactly number of eggs and the time it takes varies. For example. On my first MM run, it took me over 1,900 eggs to hatch a Shiny Tyrunt. This was approximately 100 game hours of time. Luckily I was at home due to an injury and had the time.

http://imgur.com/gallery/Hz0tf

My second MM Shiny was a Hone Edge. It took me 32 or so eggs, and this includes my breeding for better IV’s.

http://imgur.com/gallery/jff06Ug

2. If I take one of the Pokemon out or switch them out, does this reduce or reset the chance of a shiny?

No. For my Honedge, I was continually taking the parent out to increase IV’s. Each egg hatched, regardless if it is in a chain (continuous hatching without doing other actives) or otherwise has the same chance of being a Shiny.

3. Can I get the eggs and then save, then soft reset after they hatch to save time for hatching?

No. The second the egg is created it is determined. So you could continually hatch and reset the same 5 eggs, but if they were not shiny to begin with, they won’t be shiny later.

4. Do Pokemon received from in game trades count as a different region?

Sadly no.

5. Speaking of Shiny, does the Shiny Charm work for increased Shiny chances?

This is a matter of much debate. The charm did affect breeding in the past, but due to a description change, we are unsure. Smogon is currently testing this though (http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/shiny-charm-and-masuda-method-volunteers-needed.3496464/).

You can find a link to a word document there with all of the data. As of 1/19/2014 the current results are: 32,752 eggs hatched, 97 shinnies, which puts the shiny rate at 1/338.

6. Speaking of items. If I have things like an everstone or power item on a Pokemon, does that lower the Shiny chance?

From what I can see, no. I had both a Destiny Knot and Everstone on my Pokemon for both the Tyrunt and Honedge and both Pokemon hatched shiny at opposite sides of the spectrum. If yours is taking awhile just remember, the chance to hatch is the same for each egg.

7. Do ditto’s work? What about if a parent is shiny?

I ditto works just fine. Many Dittos over WT and the GTS are also high IV’s, so it may be worthwhile to use one. Keep in mind that to pass down Level up moves (not egg moves); you need two parents who both know the ability.

Using a Shiny Parent does not increase shiny chance.

8. I don’t have a foreign Pokemon. What do I do :(

They are pretty easy to get. Just go to the trade boards (http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/2000458-pokemon-x-y-trading) and make a topic, or post in one of the Clan topics. Most people have tons of ditto’s they can give you, but be polite and offer if you can. You can also go through the WT or GTS.

Also keep in mind that even if you hatch an egg with a foreign Pokemon, it will hatch under your region. So if you switch the baby with the parent that was from the other region you will not be doing the MM.

9. I am on my xxxx egg…does this really work?

Yes. Take a break if you need, but I guarantee that the second you notice that Shiny come out of that egg you will have a big grin on your face for sticking with it. They truly do add something special to your team, and they do the little special star glitter when they come out.

Read on for Lucidious89's Official Kalos Fishing Guide to Shiny Pokemon!
---
Erica Jong
#4Darksta(Topic Creator)Posted 1/19/2014 10:22:51 PMmessage detail(edited)
Lucidious89's Official Kalos Fishing Guide to Shiny Pokemon!
(Credit to him for the original guide, which is found here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/696959-pokemon-x/67572859)
------------------

On Route 16 there is a Fishing Shack where a Fisherman teaches you about "Fishing Streaks". As he explains, a fishing streak is simply fishing up Pokemon back-to-back, without every missing out on a bite. He challenges you to beat his streak of 7 hooked Pokemon in a row, and for this he rewards you with 20 Dive Balls.

Once completed, he gives a hint as to the true purpose of fishing streaks:

"This is just a rumor, but word is that you can catch some rare Pokemon through consecutive fishing!"

With this knowledge, it has been all but confirmed through testing that these "rare" Pokemon that he alludes to are in fact Shiny Pokemon. The goal of this topic is to explain the nature of this new fishing mechanic as best as it's understood so far.

Fishing Streaks
--------------------

A proper fishing streak requires you to continuously hook a wild Pokemon with a fishing rod without ever pulling up nothing, or missing the timing of the reel. The longer you maintain this streak, the higher your streak will go. The higher your streak, the higher the chances of hooking a shiny Pokemon.

What we know for sure breaks a streak:
-Getting the "Nothing seems to be biting..." message (Random, but the odds are manipulable)
-Getting the "No! You reeled it in too fast!" message (Pressed A too soon)
-Getting the "No! You reeled it in too slow!" message (Pressed A too late)
-Exiting the area in which you're fishing
-Getting into a battle that isn't through fishing
-Exiting the game
-Encountering a shiny Pokemon

What we know for sure does NOT break a streak:
-Running from battles
-Fainting the wild Pokemon
-A Pokemon in your party evolving
-Switching to different rods during a streak
-Going into the menu

What might possibly break a streak based on a few reports (needs 100% confirmation):

-Capturing a normal Pokemon (unlikely)

What is unlikely to break a streak based on a few reports (needs 100% confirmation):
-Putting the system into Sleep Mode (in battle)
-Capturing a Pokemon

Untested scenarios that will most likely break your streak
-Using PSS features to suspend the game and go online to trade/battle/etc.

With every consecutive Pokemon hooked, your streak increases by 1. If anything interrupts this streak, it will reset to zero. The Fisherman in the fishing shack will keep track of your personal best streak, so you can confirm with him at any time to see what your best streak has been so far. If you're unsure you're successfully pulling off a streak, do a quick test by starting a small streak, and then return to him and see if he keeps a tab of this. If it matches the number of times that you kept track of, then you were doing it right.

*Note: It has been confirmed that you can pull off fishing streaks to find shiny Pokemon without needing to talk to the Fisherman or complete his initial quest. Though I recommend doing it anyway just in case, and to help familiarize yourself with the mechanic.
---
Erica Jong
#5Darksta(Topic Creator)Posted 1/19/2014 10:10:29 PMmessage detail
Getting Prepared
----------------------

In order to maximize your chances of pulling off an effective fishing streak, there are certain things to consider before heading off.

1) Location, location, location.

Before beating the fisherman's streak of 7, he gives you a hint as to the best places to go to pull off a successful streak. He mentions that areas with objects surrounding the fishing tile, such as rocks, will help increase the odds of fishing up a Pokemon from a tile. Look for small nooks and cornered-in sections of water to cast your rod in to help increase the odds of hooking a Pokemon with each reel. The more sides of the fishing tile that are blocked off, the better.

A personal favorite is a location tucked underneath Ambrette Town, seen here:
http://i.imgur.com/W0rSMTH.jpg (picture courtesy of prguitarman)

As you can see in the above image, the tile directly in front of the player is surrounded on all four sides - by the shore to the north, by un-surfable waters to the south, by rocks to the east, and by the player to the west. Searching for these types of cornered-in sections to fish in seems to result in much higher chances of reeling in a Pokemon with each cast.

*Note: It is unconfirmed how much this helps, if at all. It is being based completely off a line of text from the fisherman NPC. But play testing thus far seems to suggest it does greatly increase the odds.

*Note 2: Even though it seems to help, it is not REQUIRED to find these types of spots to fish in. I've personally fished up plenty of shiny Pokemon just standing and casting my line from the shore. With a Suction Cup/Sticky Hold lead, it should be more than enough to maintain a consistent streak.

2) The best rod for the job

If you plan on doing this early on in the game, the earliest you can possibly try is after first obtaining the Old Rod in Ambrette Town. If you're looking to hunt for other Pokemon, you'll have to wait until you receive the improved rods throughout the game.

Good Rod: Courmarine City
Super Rod: Fishing Shack, Route 16 (the very same place where the fishing streak NPC resides)

3) Field Abilities

Certain Pokemon abilities have secondary field effects that trigger and remain constantly in play while on the field. However, these effects only trigger when the Pokemon with the ability is at the head of your party. Note that the Pokemon *can* be fainted in your lead slot, and still have its ability in effect. Here are some of the most useful abilities when attempting a Fishing Streak for shiny Pokemon, as well as the Pokemon that have them:

Suction Cups - Increases the odds of hooking a wild Pokemon while fishing.
Pokemon: Octillery, Lileep, Cradily, Inkay, Malamar
Note: Excellent for the purposes of fishing streaks, as you'll almost always get a bite.

Sticky Hold - Increases the odds of hooking a wild Pokemon while fishing.
Pokemon: Gulpin, Swalot, Trubbish, Grimer, Muk, Shellos, Gastrodon, Accelgor
Note: Same as above, just with a different distribution.

Synchronize - Has a 50% chance of finding wild Pokemon with the same nature as the user.
Pokemon: Abra, Kadabra, Alakazam, Natu, Xatu, Espeon, Umbreon, Ralts, Kirlia, Gardevoir, Munna, Musharna, Elgyem, Beheeyem, Mew
Note: Very useful if you plan on trying to capture a specific shiny with the right nature. However, your odds of maintaining a streak are less reliable.

Static - Increases the odds of encountering Electric-type Pokemon
Pokemon: Pichu, Pikachu, Raichu, Voltorb, Electrode, Elekid, Electabuzz, Electivire, Mareep, Flaaffy, Ampharos, Electrike, Manectric, Emolga, Stunfisk
Note: The one and only reason to be using this over anything else is if you're dead set on encountering a shiny Chinchou or Lanturn.
---
Erica Jong
#6Darksta(Topic Creator)Posted 1/19/2014 10:10:57 PMmessage detail
4) Party Build

The rest of your party should be up to the task of capturing the Pokemon you encounter without fail. A False Swiper, a status-inducer with moves such as Sleep Powder or Thunder Wave is highly recommended. Remember that the levels of the wild Pokemon differ with each rod.

Old Rod - Level 15
Good Rod - Level 25
Super Rod - Level 35

Make sure to plan your team accordingly.

5) Don't forget your balls!

Make sure you have a healthy stock of Pokeballs before beginning your streak! You don't want to have to end it prematurely because you're running low. Also think about aesthetics; give your new shiny a cool looking new home!

Things to Keep in Mind
------------------------------

While building your fishing streak, there are a few things to be aware of

1) You are not GUARANTEED to run into a shiny at any point. All this method does is greatly increase your odds. But, as with anything luck based, today might just be an off day for you. Don't get frustrated, take a break and try again later.

2) There are a limited amount of Pokemon found through fishing, so don't be surprised if you end up getting several of the same shiny Pokemon, while completely missing out on the one you actually want. It's all luck.

3) Don't over think what you're doing. You'll psych yourself out and screw up your timing, potentially ruining a long streak. Stay calm, and try to go in without expecting anything out of it. It'll just make you tense.

4) Remember that several Pokemon found through fishing are version exclusive!

Exclusive to Y:
Shellder
Cloyster
Skrelp
Dragalge

Exclusive to X:
Staryu
Starmie
Clauncher
Clawitzer

Try and catch duplicates to trade other shiny hunters to collect them all :D
---
Erica Jong
#7Darksta(Topic Creator)Posted 1/19/2014 10:17:34 PMmessage detail(edited)
FAQ:

Do I need to talk to the man on route 16 first?

Users have reported that they were at the start of the game with only the old rod and this method worked, so no you do not.

Does putting the game in Sleep Mode break the chain?

The safest way to do this if you need to take a break is to enter a battle and place the game into sleep mode. You will come back in the battle and the chain will still be valid.

What bout saving?

No. You can save the game, but if you exit the game outside of the sleep mode mentioned above you will break the chain.

Can you do this while surfing?

Yes. Responders in the original thread have reported that they have reeled in Shiny's while swimming on Idiosyncratic spots. You should be able to reel them in anywhere.

Can I use a smoke ball to make running easier?

Yes. You will not break the chain.

Does using the game Menu break the streak?

No. Users have reported that they have used PSS, Traded, moved their Pokemon around, and healed them and the streak continued.

Does the streak continue after I catch a Shiny?

No, it resets after you catch a shiny.

If I change my rod while doing this, does it break the chain?

No. You can utilize different rods in the same area and it does not restart your chain.

I don't have a Pokemon with suction cups. Do I really need it?

You can do it without as long as you fish in a place with 3 rocks surrounding.

Too much text. Anything more visual?

This was posted by a user in the thread. It may be helpful for some http://i.imgur.com/DvKgYu6.jpg (credit to image maker /vp/'s)

Alright, <GameFaqs User>, the time has come. Your very own tale of grand adventure is about to unfold. On your journey, you will meet countless Pokémon and some exotic Shiny ones!. I'm sure that along the way you will discover many things, perhaps even something about yourself. Now, go on, leap into the world of Shiny Pokémon!

-Darksta
---
Erica Jong
#8Darksta(Topic Creator)Posted 1/19/2014 10:15:08 PMmessage detail
Per Moderator Error1355, Please request a sticky for this topic so they can remove the other two.

Error1355 posted...
Someone please merge this guide and the fishing guide (http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/696959-pokemon-x/67572859) that I just desticked to make a single 'shiny pokemon' guide. We can't have a separate sticky topic for every separate shiny method. =P

Make sure you give credit for the content if it someone other than the topic creator does such.

---
Erica Jong
#9Darksta(Topic Creator)Posted 1/20/2014 9:17:50 AMmessage detail
Already the new "am I doing this right?" Shiny posts are appearing on the forums :). Give this topic some love and sticky request so Error gets a notification and replaces the old fishing and MM guide with this one. :)
---
Erica Jong
#10ff_risePosted 1/20/2014 9:21:08 AMmessage detail
sticky requested
---
3DS FC Mars - 1736-1269-8852 ROCK - Onix, Dwebble & Barbaracle