The Official Shiny Pokemon Guide: Masuda Method, a Fishing Rod, and YOU! v1

Darksta
Posted: 1/19/2014 10:46:49 PM
Howdy! Darksta here!

So, you want a Shiny Pokemon of your own and don’t want to get a cloned one through the trade boards (or simply cant). You’ve heard from your friend that getting a Shiny Pokemon in Pokemon X and Pokemon Y has become easier than ever! In fact, they are correct! But while it has become easier, that does not mean it is not time consuming! Read on for Darksta's (thats me!) The Masuda Method and You! & Lucidious89's Official Kalos Fishing Guide to Shiny Pokemon!

The Masuda Method and You!

The Masuda Method (MM) was hinted at by GameFreak Director Junichi Masuda in his blog post on 12/14/2007. In his blog, Masuda says the following;
I have a confident that the player will sure to trade their Pokemon at least once with this GTS system. However, I wondered how we could make the trade number of times…
Not only domestic, but overseas trading, especially the people you have never met. This was the big theme of creating GTS in Pokemon Diamond and Pearl.
I believe high game playability means, to make the game fun playing many times repeatedly. Same as this GTS. So we considered the following contents…

…>rare colored Pokemon’s Egg can be found little easier….

Ideas like above are incorporated in the game.
It requires a very large effort...

After this reveal, the Shiny Method of hatching was discovered by Smogon (a group of people dedicated to the Meta game of Pokemon) and subsequently named the “Masuda Method”.

Okay okay, but what IS the method?!

The Method is actually pretty simple. Two Pokemon of different regions need to breed. The offspring produced will have a higher chance of hatching as a Shiny.

Prior to the Masuda Method discovery, a normal person hatching Pokemon eggs has a 1 in 8192 (1/8192) of hatching a Shiny. In Generation 4 according to data miners at Smogon, the Masuda Method greatly reduces that number (by 75%!) to 1 in 2048 (1/2048 chance). In generation 5 (Black and White Series) this number was discovered to have been increased by 6 from the original 1 in 8192 to 1 in 1365 (1/1365 chance of hatching a Shiny).

A current test on Smogon is going under the assumption that the rate is actually 3/2048 (1/682) assuming that the rate continued to increase in a similar pattern from the previous games. Further research from Project Pokemon also conclude that the number is 1/682 for a chance of hatching a Shiny.

Wow! So I can get a Shiny in NO time huh!

Hold on one second young grasshopper. I said that it would take time and I meant it.

Things Needed For Masuda Method of Breeding

-Two Pokemon of compatible egg group and different genders, or 1 poke and a ditto. One Pokemon needs to be foreign.
A foreign Pokemon means one that is not from your region (language). You will know if it if from a different region by looking at the top left corner of the Pokedex screen. If it is from your game, their wont be anything there (http://i.imgur.com/YLdReIX.jpg). A 3 letter acronym for the region will be displayed there, such as JPN, FRE, or KOR if it did not originate in your game (http://i.imgur.com/DHPkMBm.jpg)

-Access to the Pokemon Day Care on Route 7.

-A Bicycle (it will make things go quicker) which is received in Cyllage City.

-Money (depending on how you wish to do this).

-A Pokemon with Flame Body Ability to reduce the amount of steps needed to hatch the egg. (Fletchinder, who evolves from Fletchling, has this ability.)

-Hatching O Power.

Note: While you can do this without a pokemon with Flame body and Hatching O Power you risk making an already long process even longer.
---
Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didnt.
Erica Jong
Previous Versions
Darksta
Posted: 1/19/2014 10:07:49 PM
Howdy! Darksta here!

So, you want a Shiny Pokemon of your own and don’t want to get a cloned one through the trade boards (or simply cant). You’ve heard from your friend that getting a Shiny Pokemon in Pokemon X and Pokemon Y has become easier than ever! In fact, they are correct! But while it has become easier, that does not mean it is not time consuming! Read on for Darksta's (thats me!) The Masuda Method and You! & Lucidious89's Official Kalos Fishing Guide to Shiny Pokemon!

The Masuda Method and You!

The Masuda Method (MM) was hinted at by GameFreak Director Junichi Masuda in his blog post on 12/14/2007. In his blog, Masuda says the following;
I have a confident that the player will sure to trade their Pokemon at least once with this GTS system. However, I wondered how we could make the trade number of times…
Not only domestic, but overseas trading, especially the people you have never met. This was the big theme of creating GTS in Pokemon Diamond and Pearl.
I believe high game playability means, to make the game fun playing many times repeatedly. Same as this GTS. So we considered the following contents…

…>rare colored Pokemon’s Egg can be found little easier….

Ideas like above are incorporated in the game.
It requires a very large effort...

After this reveal, the Shiny Method of hatching was discovered by Smogon (a group of people dedicated to the Meta game of Pokemon) and subsequently named the “Masuda Method”.

Okay okay, but what IS the method?!

The Method is actually pretty simple. Two Pokemon of different regions need to breed. The offspring produced will have a higher chance of hatching as a Shiny.

Prior to the Masuda Method discovery, a normal person hatching Pokemon eggs has a 1 in 8192 (1/8192) of hatching a Shiny. In Generation 4 according to data miners at Smogon, the Masuda Method greatly reduces that number (by 75%!) to 1 in 2048 (1/2048 chance). In generation 5 (Black and White Series) this number was discovered to have been increased by 6 from the original 1 in 8192 to 1 in 1365 (1/1365 chance of hatching a Shiny).

There is no official number yet if the Shiny hatching chance has increased in X and Y however Its important to note that a current test on Smogon is going under the assumption that the rate is actually 3/2048 (1/682) assuming that the rate continued to increase in a similar pattern from the previous games.

Wow! So I can get a Shiny in NO time huh!

Hold on one second young grasshopper. I said that it would take time and I meant it.

Things Needed For Masuda Method of Breeding

-Two Pokemon of compatible egg group and different genders, or 1 poke and a ditto. One Pokemon needs to be foreign.
A foreign Pokemon means one that is not from your region (language). You will know if it if from a different region by looking at the top left corner of the Pokedex screen. If it is from your game, their wont be anything there (http://i.imgur.com/YLdReIX.jpg). A 3 letter acronym for the region will be displayed there, such as JPN, FRE, or KOR if it did not originate in your game (http://i.imgur.com/DHPkMBm.jpg)

-Access to the Pokemon Day Care on Route 7.

-A Bicycle (it will make things go quicker) which is received in Cyllage City.

-Money (depending on how you wish to do this).

-A Pokemon with Flame Body Ability to reduce the amount of steps needed to hatch the egg. (Fletchinder, who evolves from Fletchling, has this ability.)

-Hatching O Power.

Note: While you can do this without a pokemon with Flame body and Hatching O Power you risk making an already long process even longer.
---
Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didnt.
Erica Jong

No Action Available

No actions are currently available to you with this message.