This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How to Breed Perfect Pokemon With Hidden Power

#1bwebber17Posted 1/21/2014 12:58:06 AM
What is Hidden Power?

Hidden Power is a Special move with a base power of 60 and can be of any type in the game except for Normal and Fairy. The type differs for each individual Pokemon (meaning, two different Rotoms can have two different Hidden Power types) and what determines the type is the Pokemon's IVs. This is key, as the standard 31/x/31/31/31/31 spread you have for your special attackers won't suffice if you want a Pokemon with a specific Hidden Power type, since some stats need to be lower than 31 (an even value, in fact; more on that later). This guide will show you how to acquire any IV spread you want for Hidden Power. If you're asking yourself, "This sounds hard; why should I bother?" it is because some Pokemon have such shallow move pools and need the extra coverage flexibility Hidden Power offers, and in fact, some would argue that a Jolteon, for example, simply isn't competitively viable if it doesn't have Hidden Power Ice. The TM for Hidden Power (which will be referred to as "HP" from now on) can be found in the right most house in Anistar City. The person who gives you the TM will also tell you what Hidden Power type any of your Pokemon has. Please note that before you proceed to breed HP Ice Jolteon (just as an example), you must know the ins and outs of breeding and must be comfortable with the process. HP breeding is more advanced than just regular breeding, and I highly recommend you read the sticky on how to breed perfect IV Pokemon and also have some practice with it. For the sake of this guide, I will assume you already have most if not all of the resources required to breed regular perfect Pokemon. To reiterate, this is advanced breeding. You have to learn how to walk before you can run! I will, however, emphasize what exactly you need in each step.

Preparation

- Just like regular breeding, you will need the Everstone, the Destiny Knot, and the Power Items. If you found the Power Items to be a luxury and not a necessity for standard breeding, this isn't the case here; they are very important if you want to HP breed. Just to explain the mechanics a little, the parent that holds the Everstone will pass down its nature 100% of the time, the Destiny Knot will pass down 5 out of the 12 stats combined from both parents (it doesn't matter who holds it, and no matter what wrongful information you're given, the Destiny Knot will never pick the same stat twice), and the Power Items will pass down the holder's respective stat (Power Weight for HP, Power Anklet for Speed, etc). Just remember that the Destiny Knot + Power Item will still only result in five stats being inherited.

DO NOT POST YET
---
FC: 4785-5576-2079 IGN: Raphael
#2bwebber17(Topic Creator)Posted 1/21/2014 1:00:36 AM
- You must have Dittos that have 30 IV in each stat. While certain HP types only require one or two IVs to be an "imperfect" 30, finding these Dittos is useful if you plan on breeding multiple Pokemon with different HP types. Remember that we're breeding perfect HP Pokemon here; a wimpy 28 won't do! I recommend IV calculating (refer to the Resources section) your collection of Dittos to see which of their stats have 30. To save time, level 30 Dittos (the level at which they're caught at in the Friend Safari) values that have a chance to be 30 IV are 77 for HP, 46 for a positive nature, 42 for a neutral nature, and 37 for a negative nature. Those numbers aren't guaranteed to be 30 IV, those ones simply have a chance. Remember that this is a very crude method to start and is only meant to save time so you don't IV calculate literally every Ditto you own, and you should probably IV calculate the Ditto when in doubt. For example, if you have an Adamant level 30 Ditto with 38 in Attack, this Ditto has no chance to have 30 Attack IV. Please note also that these Dittos must not have any EVs, and I recommend nicknaming the Ditto based on what stat they have as 30 IV. If you find that you're still missing 30 IV Dittos for some stats, that's okay, simply catch some more! However, I recommend instead that you catch them in the Pokemon Village, and not the Friend Safari. This is because every stat in the Village are guaranteed to be randomized (1 in 32 chance of being 30 IV) while in the Safari, they have a 1/3 chance of being 31, so chances for a 30 IV there are 1 in 48. If you don't want to spend the time to find these Dittos, you can always chain breed the 30 IV you know one of your Pokemon has. For example, if you have a 30 Defense Manectric but want a 30 Defense Abra, you can first breed that stat onto Mienfoo and then onto Abra. I do recommend finding the Ditto though, but this is an alternative.

- Have Rare Candies in hand to IV calculate your Pokemon. You don't need to permanently use them up, you just need them to check for IVs. You can them gain them back by soft resetting your game.

Resources

- IV Spreads for Hidden Power Types: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/989552-/58772271

Please note that in this generation that 31 now means any odd value, while 30 means any even value. You can ignore the mention of possible base power, as HP now has a fixed BP of 60. This is also why you'll notice that all of your perfect special attacking Pokemon have either Dark or Dragon as their HP type. So for example, a 27/14/21/13/15/29 spread will yield HP Dragon.

- IV Calculator: http://www.metalkid.info/Pokemon/Calculators/IV.aspx

- Video Tutorial on how to breed using the Time Machine Method: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL1PtXHDzFU

Ooohkay, I realize I may have blown open another door filled with confusion, but settle down for a second! I HIGHLY recommend you know how to use this method to your advantage, as it is extremely helpful to breeding for HP. Be sure to read the description as well for some things that weren't mentioned in the video. While you don't technically need to know this method to HP breed, as I have said it is extremely helpful and will save you a lot of time, despite the length of the video. This method will also help to breed in general, and not just your HP Pokemon. Note: Using Magikarp as test parents doesn't work for gender specific and genderless Pokemon.

DO NOT POST YET
---
#3bwebber17(Topic Creator)Posted 1/21/2014 1:06:00 AM
Now that you have all the tools and knowledge you need, let's move on to the steps! Just some tips: You can use the Battle Institute in Lumiose City to reassure yourself that you have done all of the steps correctly thus far. This place temporarily bumps your Pokemon's level up to 50 so you can IV calculate them, since the Kiloude man doesn't tell you if you have a 30 stat. However, doing so is not a full proof method and must be done LAST and in conjunction with checking with the Kiloude Judge, checking your Pokemon's personality, and checking the Pokemon's HP type. All of these things combined should give you a precise calculation of your Pokemon's IVs. We will call these four steps IV checking. For this guide we will be using an HP Rock Larvesta as an example and the spread we're aiming for is 31/x/30/31/30/30. HP Rock is nice in a way that the unused Attack stat can be either odd or even, however if you want a 31/even/30/31/31/31 spread for HP Ice for example, you will have to hope that the Attack stat is randomized to be even. You will also notice that HP breeding is a little different; we will be breeding for IVs first, and then egg moves, abilities, and nature. This part is also VERY important, so listen up: if you're breeding a female only Pokemon, make sure you don't breed that species first, but instead breed a male Pokemon from that egg group. We're only breeding a perfect parent through the first five steps. So for example you want to breed a Mandibuzz with HP (I won't judge...), through the first five steps, you're not going to breed a Vullaby, you're instead going to breed a Skarmory or something (not necessarily Skarmory; really, anything from Vullaby's egg group that can be male).

- Since we're aiming for Attack to be the randomized stat, and that 31 IVs are in greater abundance due to the Friend Safari mechanics, we will either not worry about it (the Attack stat) or worry about it later (31 IV for HP and SAtk). Start first by using your Ditto to chain down the 30 IV speed (you can start with Defense or SDef, it doesn't matter, but you MUST start with the 30 IVs). Attach the Speed Power Item to the Ditto, and if you're using a Larvesta parent that has perfect HP and/or SAtk, give it the Destiny Knot. If not, don't worry about its item, but DO NOT give it a Power Item. For simplicity we will assume you're breeding a simpleton Larvesta, and the speed stat was the only one we were able to acquire in this step.

- Take the newly hatched Larvesta and breed it with your 30 SDef Ditto. Give the Destiny Knot to one, and the respective Power Item to the other (Anklet for Larvesta, Band for Ditto). IV Check your batch of eggs to ensure both stats were passed down. Remember that at any point you can override the randomness of inheritance by using the Time Machine Method. Also, if you're stuck on one step, save all the babies you hatched from that step and use the best ones as parents. For example, if you're only inheriting two stats but you want four, keep replacing the parents with a potential parent that has the most ideal IVs. IV Check between every step.

- Take your x/x/x/x/30/30 Larvesta and breed it with your 30 Def Ditto. Same thing as last time: respective power item on one parent, Destiny Knot on the other. This might be easier said than done, but again, keep as many potential parents as possible to have all three stats passed down.

DO NOT POST YET
---
#4bwebber17(Topic Creator)Posted 1/21/2014 1:09:30 AM
- By this step the Larvesta should have all the 30 IVs it needs (Def, SDef, Spe). Now take this Larvesta and breed it with a Ditto that has 31 HP and/or 31 SAtk. To reiterate one last time: have as many potential parents as possible. If you don't have a 31 HP/SAtk Ditto, it's simply one extra step to go from 31/x/30/x/30/30 to 31/x/30/31/30/30. Once again, Destiny Knot on one parent, Power Item on the other. You can attach any Power Item you please, but make sure it isn't a stat that both parents share, since that stat will probably be inherited anyway. We're only using Power Items to sway the odds of inheriting the right stats slightly towards your favor.

- You now have a 31/x/30/31/30/30 HP Rock Larvesta! However, it has Serious nature! What the heck am I supposed to do with a Serious Larvesta? That's okay, because at this point, we don't care about nature, we only care about having the right parent. If you want the Hidden Ability for your Pokemon (Swarm for our Larvesta), make sure this parent is male. Since the female is the only one that can pass down the HA, it's easier to breed a male perfect spread Larvesta than trying to ensure the HA was passed down in each step. Just for the sake of an example we actually only want Larvesta's regular ability Flame Body, so we don't need to worry about this parent's gender. We will call this parent Joebob for the last step, just for easiness.

- Take Joebob and breed it with a Ditto, or any of your rejects, that has the right nature. If you want the Pokemon's HA and/or any egg moves, set aside Joebob and separately breed a second parent. This process should be familiar to you: Destiny Knot + Everstone for each step, but this time, you only need to worry about replacing one parent for chain breeding since Joebob is already perfect in its IVs. Remember to IV check all the Pokemon you plan on breeding with Joebob, but I must emphasize that using the Time Machine method makes this process so much easier since you will know exactly which parent you should use alongside Joebob.

---

Hopefully this guide was detailed and coherent enough. If you're breeding genderless or male only Pokemon, the process is a lot tougher but still doable. Each step is still the same, but unfortunately, your only ideal parents are Dittos, so getting the right stats to be inherited have much lower odds of happening. Good luck!

You may now post
---
#5Peachrules14Posted 1/21/2014 1:11:19 AM
Nice guide. Sticky requested.
---
3DS Code:1332-7829-1699
Friend Safari: Petilil, Simisage, Quilladin
#6Ultima_WraithPosted 1/21/2014 1:11:53 AM
Hidden Power's Fun
But Sometimes Its Hard to Breed
Go little ditto!

~Haiku de la HP
---
| 3DS Friend Code 0430-8284-1167 | Gamertag: UltimaWraith
Vs. Recorder Videos: PETW-WWWW-WWW4-GP9S & 39FG-WWWW-WWW4-H2NP
#7EscheriaPosted 1/21/2014 1:16:21 AM
Sticky requested, thank you for the guide :)
---
FC: 4124-5580-5834, Guilds: Good Traders, Masuda Method
X: Esch TSV 2224 | Y: LISA TSV 1535 | Quagsire, Bibarel, Poliwhirl | Native: Meadow, Proxy: Tundra
#8bwebber17(Topic Creator)Posted 1/21/2014 11:47:49 AM
Bump
---
#9takashi351Posted 1/21/2014 12:11:13 PM
Great guide. Sticky requested.
---
Y FC: 3067-5712-2254. Name: Mits
Normal safari: Eevee, Loudred, and Lillipup. PM me so I'll know to add you back.
#10J_AppleiPosted 1/21/2014 3:31:15 PM
This should've been in the IV breeding guide in the first place. Now 6 topics are stickies and it seems so crowded. :\

Nice guide though, I'll use it once I get a 30/30/30/30/30/30 Ditto off the trade board.
---
I like Apple Pie.
Companion_Cube_ is Arceus and Xerneas. Combined.