This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which of the official Pokemon games/Pokemon fangames have the most...

#1Model_RobotPosted 1/21/2014 6:35:36 PM(edited)
challenging and/or fulfilling single player campaign? Saw an article for this Pokemon Evoas fangame and inspired me to find a Pokemon experience most akin to the mainline Shin Megami Tensei games (in difficulty/how satisfying play experience is). Thanks in advance.

Note: not necessarily looking for the best of both categories. More talking about the best single player game across both.
#2ChapFromKrugisPosted 1/21/2014 6:34:11 PM
I'd say any hack made by Drayano60, most notably the Blaze Black/Volt White series.
---
3DS FC: 5412-9912-6820 | IGN: Neo (Y) Makoto (X) | TSV: 1879 |
http://i.imgur.com/G5Jgq3s.png | http://i.imgur.com/nSudXNv.jpg
#3Model_Robot(Topic Creator)Posted 1/21/2014 6:37:20 PM
Sweet jesus, bump. I forgot this board gets busier every day.
#4Luca_KnightPosted 1/21/2014 6:38:09 PM
The general sentiment seems to place Colosseum has the most difficult standard playstyle Pokemon game.

I'd say Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Rescue Team is the hardest spinoff, but Explorers of Sky has a much, much, much better story, and is a much better game for a lot of other reasons too.

I've heard people rate Pokemon Ranger 1 as the most difficult spinoff, and while I disagree, they do have a point. Having to get so many loops in a single go can get frustrating with some of the bosses.

Trying to do Pokemon Ranger 3's multiplayer mode in Single Player is also extremely hard due to a grindfest being necessary, but that's easily the least satisfying single player experience in Pokemon history. Not worth it.
---
You will never know me... You are lost...and scared.
You know what I allow you to know... You're just a puppet.
#5Luca_KnightPosted 1/21/2014 6:38:43 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#6Luca_KnightPosted 1/21/2014 6:39:35 PM
Just talking about the official games*

I don't know much about fangames.
---
#7Model_Robot(Topic Creator)Posted 1/21/2014 6:42:21 PM
Luca_Knight posted...
The general sentiment seems to place Colosseum has the most difficult standard playstyle Pokemon game.

I'd say Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Rescue Team is the hardest spinoff, but Explorers of Sky has a much, much, much better story, and is a much better game for a lot of other reasons too.

I've heard people rate Pokemon Ranger 1 as the most difficult spinoff, and while I disagree, they do have a point. Having to get so many loops in a single go can get frustrating with some of the bosses.

Trying to do Pokemon Ranger 3's multiplayer mode in Single Player is also extremely hard due to a grindfest being necessary, but that's easily the least satisfying single player experience in Pokemon history. Not worth it.

Lol, I've heard similar things about Colosseum, but I should stress I'm looking more for the standard RPG Pokemon playstyle vein of games.
#8Model_Robot(Topic Creator)Posted 1/21/2014 6:55:20 PM
bump
#9Luca_KnightPosted 1/21/2014 7:15:43 PM
Model_Robot posted...
Lol, I've heard similar things about Colosseum, but I should stress I'm looking more for the standard RPG Pokemon playstyle vein of games.

In that case Colosseum and XD might be your answers, as those were actually designed to be single player Pokemon RPG's. The only difference being that they use Double Battles as standard.

I should have noticed this when I read the main post, but to put it simply, you're not going to find anything as difficult as SMT from the main Pokemon games. Even in the other topic where we were considering the most difficult Pokemon games, our picks were only because of the E4/Champion and nothing else.

Looking up that Blaze Black/Volt White hack series that was mentioned, I'd actually really recommend that. It doesn't change the actual story and themes of the game and characters while improving difficulty, adding unavailable Pokemon to the game, making things more convenient, etc..

It's also neat that there's a version which doesn't edit Pokemon stats or typings or moves, but maintains everything else that made the hack good.

I might try this myself.
---
#10Luca_KnightPosted 1/21/2014 7:22:21 PM
Luca_Knight posted...
It doesn't change the actual story and themes of the game and characters while improving difficulty, adding unavailable Pokemon to the game, making things more convenient, etc..

I should clarify that it doesn't seem to, going off of videos I'm not so sure about the story actually.

Not that that really matters anyway.
---