This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which of the official Pokemon games/Pokemon fangames have the most...

#11ExcIusivity69Posted 1/21/2014 7:20:35 PM
Model_Robot posted...
Luca_Knight posted...
The general sentiment seems to place Colosseum has the most difficult standard playstyle Pokemon game.

I'd say Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Rescue Team is the hardest spinoff, but Explorers of Sky has a much, much, much better story, and is a much better game for a lot of other reasons too.

I've heard people rate Pokemon Ranger 1 as the most difficult spinoff, and while I disagree, they do have a point. Having to get so many loops in a single go can get frustrating with some of the bosses.

Trying to do Pokemon Ranger 3's multiplayer mode in Single Player is also extremely hard due to a grindfest being necessary, but that's easily the least satisfying single player experience in Pokemon history. Not worth it.

Lol, I've heard similar things about Colosseum, but I should stress I'm looking more for the standard RPG Pokemon playstyle vein of games.

Pokémon Colosseum is not that different from the mainline Pokémon games. It's very similar to the main games, except it doesn't have gym leaders, or an Elite Four. Well, there is one gym leader I think, but he doesn't give out badges because the gym is just starting up. Maybe you should watch a review on youtube, or maybe a quick glimpse of a playthrough.
---
I thought it was legit because it was Japanese. - jogglypuff
#12Model_Robot(Topic Creator)Posted 1/21/2014 7:59:00 PM
Luca_Knight posted...
Model_Robot posted...
Lol, I've heard similar things about Colosseum, but I should stress I'm looking more for the standard RPG Pokemon playstyle vein of games.

In that case Colosseum and XD might be your answers, as those were actually designed to be single player Pokemon RPG's. The only difference being that they use Double Battles as standard.

I should have noticed this when I read the main post, but to put it simply, you're not going to find anything as difficult as SMT from the main Pokemon games. Even in the other topic where we were considering the most difficult Pokemon games, our picks were only because of the E4/Champion and nothing else.

Looking up that Blaze Black/Volt White hack series that was mentioned, I'd actually really recommend that. It doesn't change the actual story and themes of the game and characters while improving difficulty, adding unavailable Pokemon to the game, making things more convenient, etc..

It's also neat that there's a version which doesn't edit Pokemon stats or typings or moves, but maintains everything else that made the hack good.

I might try this myself.

Actually going off the 30-minute preview, this Pokemon Evoas fangame is looking to be almost unsettlingly close to SMT (in tone and difficulty) and what I'm looking for lol. It's one of those very ambitious fangames made from scratch that goes beyond mere ROM hacks, revamps nearly everything about battle from main series Pokemon games but draws on challenging existing games like XD & Colosseum, includes taboo, dark themes used in main games (Pokedex entries as reality, Pokemon death, trainer violence), completely new central idea and narrative, etc.

I really do suggest everyone play the 30-minute preview and offer some good feedback to the creator. It really does retain Pokemon's charm but naturally subverts it with its own darker flourishes.
#13Model_Robot(Topic Creator)Posted 1/22/2014 1:35:24 PM
Bump on last time
#14MajesticWhalePosted 1/24/2014 3:43:27 PM
I've heard Pokemon: Reborn is excellent
#15Model_Robot(Topic Creator)Posted 1/25/2014 10:49:24 AM
MajesticWhale posted...
I've heard Pokemon: Reborn is excellent

It seems pretty good, but the music I'm hearing from it is pretty awful.
#16Model_Robot(Topic Creator)Posted 1/25/2014 3:52:03 PM
last bump i swear
#17ThatKippPosted 1/25/2014 10:45:55 PM
ExcIusivity69 posted...
Model_Robot posted...
Luca_Knight posted...
The general sentiment seems to place Colosseum has the most difficult standard playstyle Pokemon game.

I'd say Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Rescue Team is the hardest spinoff, but Explorers of Sky has a much, much, much better story, and is a much better game for a lot of other reasons too.

I've heard people rate Pokemon Ranger 1 as the most difficult spinoff, and while I disagree, they do have a point. Having to get so many loops in a single go can get frustrating with some of the bosses.

Trying to do Pokemon Ranger 3's multiplayer mode in Single Player is also extremely hard due to a grindfest being necessary, but that's easily the least satisfying single player experience in Pokemon history. Not worth it.

Pokémon Colosseum is not that different from the mainline Pokémon games. It's very similar to the main games, except it doesn't have gym leaders, or an Elite Four. Well, there is one gym leader I think, but he doesn't give out badges because the gym is just starting up. Maybe you should watch a review on youtube, or maybe a quick glimpse of a playthrough.

The real difference between a main handheld Pokemon game and the Orre games is that the main games give you much more freedom of what Pokemon you want to use. The Orre games are very restrictive in this sense; there are (almost) no wild Pokemon, and because of this, you may only catch and use what the game presents to you.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Upcd7fL.png
3DS FC: 3609-1237-6725