This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Steel has 11 resistances and is SE against 3 types

#21Muffinz0rzPosted 1/22/2014 7:02:13 PM
Steel only has 10 resistances.

Also way2steal my topic

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/696959-pokemon-x/68399094
---
Not changing this sig until Pat Benatar is in Super Smash Bros. (Started 8/31/2010)
3DS Friend Code: 1075 - 0844 - 9134 - GHOST: Pumkaboo, Lampent, Dusclops.
#22Ku-Ri-BohPosted 1/22/2014 7:02:40 PM
XionTeikiatsu posted...
kazooie959 posted...
Magnzone says hi.

Flash Cannon is fantastic on it!

This was already covered in his post and doesn't really need mention, only extension of logic. Magnezone can use it because it's SpAtk is high and it happens to be a STAB move for it.

Flash Cannon, like Iron Head on Bisharp, is not what makes Magnezone good.

Thx a lot
---
3DS FC: 2449-4661-4119
#23MickeyRocksaPosted 1/22/2014 7:04:17 PM
Muffinz0rz posted...

Also way2steal my topic

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/696959-pokemon-x/68399094

bumped it for ya

congrats

back to the bottom double time
---
Fight Me.... MICKEYx 3ds FC: 4141-2356-8625 ...pm me 1st
.... Either being a Noob or acting as a Pro
#24SorrySleepingPosted 1/22/2014 7:06:07 PM
XionTeikiatsu posted...
jayman7 posted...
XionTeikiatsu posted...
It's a predominantly defensive type, yet it's weaknesses are common... possibly among the most common in the game.

I love the implication that those types aren't common in part because Steel is weak to them.

No, that's entirely right, I wasn't implying anything.

It's the exact reason nobody used Poison last gen. Because it didn't threaten anything meaningful. The value of Fighting and Ground(generally considered strong attacking types in competitively play) is entirely tied to the fact that there are many good Steels present in the metagame.

Fighting: Resisted by Poison, Flying, and Psychic.
Ground: Immunity by Flying, Resisted by Grass, Bug.

It doesn't matter how common those types are. They have huge coverage and very little resists them. It doesn't help that most Flying, Psychic, and Bug types are paper.
---
~{Compain_Cube_ is Goomy}~
"Fiora's got the best everything. Except, you know, in-game effectiveness." -TheEvilOmega
#25SorrySleepingPosted 1/22/2014 7:09:20 PM
Ku-Ri-Boh posted...
XionTeikiatsu posted...
kazooie959 posted...
Magnzone says hi.

This was already covered in his post and doesn't really need mention, only extension of logic. Magnezone can use it because it's SpAtk is high and it happens to be a STAB move for it.

Thx a lot

Hey, let's look at Magnezone's movepool! Steel and Electric attacks. Hmm... If Magnezone had the option to learn Ice Beam and Flamethrower, Flash Cannon would likely be dropped
---
~{Compain_Cube_ is Goomy}~
"Fiora's got the best everything. Except, you know, in-game effectiveness." -TheEvilOmega
#26kazooie959Posted 1/24/2014 6:05:11 AM
SorrySleeping posted...
Ku-Ri-Boh posted...
XionTeikiatsu posted...
kazooie959 posted...
Magnzone says hi.

Thx a lot

Hey, let's look at Magnezone's movepool! Steel and Electric attacks. Hmm... If Magnezone had the option to learn Ice Beam and Flamethrower, Flash Cannon would likely be dropped

Sorry to revive a dead topic I was away from my computer for a few days...

Anyways Magnezones move pool is very shallow being able to learn flamethrower would get rid of HP Fire and Ice Beam would probably take out Volt Switch/tri attack (cause what else are you going to use? Toxic maybe?). Still this is hypothetical and as of now most magnezone sets run Flash Cannon.

Going back further.

yeah its not what makes Magnezone good but that's like saying Earthquake isn't what makes Garchomp good. It's the combination of a move and stats that work for it. Take away Flash Cannon and you're back to Gen 3 magneton with no STAB steel attack and while it was highly used it was mostly because of Skarmory that gen. What semineutral attacks are you left with for it? Mirror shot which has terrible accuracy (comparatively), Magnet Bomb which is physical, Tri Attack which has terrible power and Signal Beam and Swift which are both Tutor moves. So yeah Flash Cannon is a huge help for it.
---
I am the great Kazoo! FEAR THE FEATHERS!!!
Poke Balls. Don't leave home without them.
#27Safari_DudePosted 1/24/2014 6:41:06 AM
Muffinz0rz posted...

Plus an immunity to poison.

It's crazy how good steel is, even after it no longer resists ghost and dark. It may not be a great attacking type, but it's hardly the worst, either. It still has more SE and less NFE matchups than poison.
#28Chaosmaster00Posted 1/24/2014 6:55:09 AM
Steel's resistances:

Normal
Flying
Poison* (Immune)
Rock
Bug
Steel
Grass
Psychic
Ice
Dragon
Fairy

Weak to:

Fighting
Ground
Fire

Neutral to:

Ghost
Water
Electric
Dark

That's pretty insane, to me.
---
3DS FC: 1590-4884-9269 | PKMN X - Trainer Sapphire - TSV: 401
Friend Safari: Fire; Growlithe, Braixen, Charmeleon
#29joey11223Posted 1/24/2014 6:56:20 AM
Eh steels are generally not sweeping powerhouses (okay there's a few notable mons) and the ubiquitous nature of EQ is a real threat to them. Also steel moves are not SE against many types, only 3 now because of fairy, it was two before, ice, which isn't common anyway, and rock. So they cannot rely on their main STAB move most of the time and their big weaknesses (fire, ground and fighting) either resist or are hit neutrally. Also steels are generally slow, so they are likely to be hit by a SE attack before they can do anything back.
#30Ku-Ri-BohPosted 1/24/2014 7:06:10 AM
kazooie959 posted...
SorrySleeping posted...
Ku-Ri-Boh posted...
XionTeikiatsu posted...
kazooie959 posted...
Magnzone says hi.

Thx a lot

Sorry to revive a dead topic I was away from my computer for a few days...

Anyways Magnezones move pool is very shallow being able to learn flamethrower would get rid of HP Fire and Ice Beam would probably take out Volt Switch/tri attack (cause what else are you going to use? Toxic maybe?). Still this is hypothetical and as of now most magnezone sets run Flash Cannon.

Going back further.

yeah its not what makes Magnezone good but that's like saying Earthquake isn't what makes Garchomp good. It's the combination of a move and stats that work for it. Take away Flash Cannon and you're back to Gen 3 magneton with no STAB steel attack and while it was highly used it was mostly because of Skarmory that gen. What semineutral attacks are you left with for it? Mirror shot which has terrible accuracy (comparatively), Magnet Bomb which is physical, Tri Attack which has terrible power and Signal Beam and Swift which are both Tutor moves. So yeah Flash Cannon is a huge help for it.

Sigh gfaq.

First, you're implying that Magneton/Zone is ever used beyond to roast Skarmory and other steels

Second, Flash Cannon is seriously almost just a filler move that's used because Magneton/Zone finally has something to fill that extra slot. If you're a good player at all who knows why you'd use Magneton/zone, you know you almost never press that "Flash Cannon"

Third, we're discussing about how non existent Steel offensive moves are beyond niche uses. You're very sad for bringing up Earthquake, something that is good in itself. It's not even comparable to Flash Cannon. Worse still, you had to use Garchomp. If Flash Cannon has 100 Bp, 100 accuracy, is widely distributed and hits a lot of things super effectively or neutrally, than we talk

Don't try anymore, for your sake. I mean it
---
3DS FC: 2449-4661-4119