This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Thoughts on Sycamore Diantha Malva Lysandre? SPOILERS

#11Im_MedeusPosted 1/22/2014 10:15:32 PM
Mtvn posted...
Emmy_Altava posted...
Malva has unrequited love for Lysandre, who is in turn ignored by his love Sycamore who is too busy juggling relationships between Diantha and the main character's mom to notice Lysandre's advancements.

And this is why Lysandre decided to kill everyone.

And this is my new headcanon.
#12UmuruPosted 1/22/2014 10:18:12 PM
I would have liked to see more Malva in the story. I didn't even know who she was when I got to her since I never used the Holocaster for anything.
---
3DS FC: 5370-0398-2889
#13StreethawkePosted 1/22/2014 10:20:12 PM
Sycamore: Now my favorite professor. Knocks Juniper to second and Oak to third.

Diantha: Suffered from a disappointing lack of screen time, and as a result, she was rather lacking in presence for a Champion. Loved her team, though.

Malva: Probably the single-most interesting (and mysterious) character in the game. Having an E4 member who was actually part of the villainous team was a nice change of pace.

Lysandre: My thoughts on him are pretty complicated. While I don't think the game conveyed his philosophy or goals as well as it was attempting to, I nonetheless found him to be one of the more intriguing and engaging antagonists in a Pokemon game. His speech at the beginning of Flare's secret HQ was pretty revealing and got into some rather dark territory for the series, with all his talk about purging the world of "useless" people and starting anew (even if he had to sacrifice Pokemon in the process, something he had rationalized to himself as necessary collateral damage). He's my third-favorite Pokemon villain, behind Giovanni (2nd) and Ghetsis (1st), but he does have my favorite design of the three, so there's that.
---
Flight is freedom. Break the sky.
#14SilentS89(Topic Creator)Posted 1/22/2014 10:20:36 PM
Umuru posted...
I would have liked to see more Malva in the story. I didn't even know who she was when I got to her since I never used the Holocaster for anything.

I agree.

I wish they went into her grudge against Xerosic a little more. I am not buying her "honor among thieves" excuse.
#15rojsePosted 1/24/2014 6:09:26 AM
Sycamore - Pokemon X and Y are thematically about beauty, and Sycamore embodies that, too. I'm quite glad that their idea of a "beautiful" professor wasn't along the lines of a female Professor like Juniper. Not that I have anything against Juniper (or want to have anything against her) but I'm glad GF thought a bit outside the box here, and it seems that a lot of other fans are quite enamoured with Sycamore's design.

Diantha - again, beauty, but I think that GF went for a more dignified and refined style of beauty, instead of a more obvious kind of beauty. Side note - I wouldn't be surprised if Diantha was partly based on Audrey Hepburn, since Hepburn comes from Brussels, a place quite close to France, and there are a few other similarities between Hepburn's appearance and Diantha's design. I also liked how one of the few scenes where you see Diantha is one about her accepting the idea of aging gracefully and not being fixated on being young and beautiful.

Malva - don't really know what to make of her, because I haven't played the Looker Quests. I think she genuinely believed in Lysandre's spoken ideologies, and my best guess is that it might be due to her being exposed to quite a lot of human suffering and misery from being a reporter. Good second place theory would be that she was/is/wants to be in some sort of relationship with Lysandre, probably romantic. Sorry I can't do something more intelligent and in-depth, TC.

Lysandre - firstly, Lysandre is quite intelligent (he invented the holocaster) and is also quite rich - he owns Lysandre labs, as well as a cafe (not to mention other various business interests that we know nothing about). We can presume he's good at managing people (can't run a successful business if you aren't, let alone an evil organization) and also that he's quite good at lying (not even his friends like Professor Sycamore suspect Lysandre of being bad).

I don't think Lysandre is insane. He's able to function (quite well, actually) in society without arousing the suspicion of others, so he knows that genocide is not acceptable in general society. He's able to organize and carry out long-term plans to fulfil his agenda of destroying the world, like building major underground bases, organizing covert operations, and establishing businesses to cover his plans to destroy the world. There's also the fact that he cries at the thought of killing all of the pokemon and that they might be gone forever. Lysandre understands the consequences of his actions far in advance of him doing them.

Lysandre is using his ideas to gather followers that would be loyal to him after everyone else is gone. Lysandre doesn't just want to beautify the world and remove most of the people, he wants to make sure he's the ruler of the people that remain. I'm not sure if Lysandre genuinely believes in his cause or not, and I don't think that matters - he's charismatic enough to convince other people of his goals, and that is enough. All that is relevant to Lysandre is that he gets (rich) people to follow him and his ideals, that are accepting/can be forced into submission of Lysandre's rule over them after he destroys the rest of the world.

Let me know what you think, TC.
---
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/696959-pokemon-x/67782742
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/696959-pokemon-x/68400780
#16vermillion719Posted 1/24/2014 6:14:29 AM
Sycamore is probably my favorite professor so far.

Malva was never really interesting to me. Even after I found out she was with Flare, she just didn't strike me as all that interesting.

Lysandre had so much potential, and it was squandered. I also wish his Pyroar would have been his signature Pokemon, rather than just one he happened to have.

Diantha...well, let's just say I'm really happy nobody else seems to like her, because I'm the type that gets jealous easily. :U
---
FC: 0345-0681-3179 (Mienfoo, Pancham, Riolu)
"corn salad is mai waifu" -NME_Enterprises
#17SoulRequiem2Posted 1/24/2014 7:07:37 AM
Sycamore- I think he's a good professor. He's handsome also compared to the others and quite young compared to others thou Elm is not that old and Juniper is not exactly old but I'm talking about the males so Juni doesn't fit in the old looking category thou oldness can most of the times mean maturity and wiseness. He also has a face like he's actually hiding knowledge specifically about Mega evolutions. The fact he gifts you a Kalos starter and it's respective stone is much about it. Because for game terms you can get only one but out of game rules he has all four mega stones; Venu, Blast, Charix & Chary. He also happens to be friends with Diantha who already has The Gardeviorite. He seems to be looking for people who can unlock the power to mega evolve or in this case assuming Korrina does and Diantha too, Then he's actually looking to expand people to know about mega evolutions. He seems a tricky professor but I don't think his tricks are bad at all more like let me get something out of you but I will give you something in return. It's not more of a favor but rather a deal. And the letter with perfume may not necessarily mean he's romancing the player mother but rather a token of what he is as he is ought to use perfume all the time so whatever he handles bus be covered in the smell of it. I think he's respectful in all ways.

Lysandre- Well yes he is successful and I think he would have done great things if he weren't obsessed with the beauty thing but then again if he would have made his plans known perhaps multiple people could have snapped him out of the thought. He's a more lovable villain. A bit like N I hate them both but it's like an unreasonable hate. They had their beliefs although the majority would not embrace it. If you don't make sense to the great masses then somethings wrong. Part of being able to change hearts is not imposing your belief by force or causing grief to others. I thim Lysandre knew that but it was a bit late. Though he still could be saved. If I were the police I'd arrest him but I would lower his penalty if he uses his intelligence and resources to help further more people. Much like community work.

Malva- Haha I gotta untie the leash and say she's sexy. I like her, it's like a wildfire wanting someone who can put out her fire with love and bathe in her emberish smoke or a fiery one who she can burn brightly in an intense torch. Okay enough Malva flattering. I had spoiled seen Lysandre somewhere as Leader of team Flare so I was expecting to see him around but I never thought about Malva. The first well Fire E4 since Flint was a failure. He barely had fire types until it was fixed in Platinum. I think Malva can be very vengeful, her nature clearly represents her type of preference and is quite intelligent. She's able to keep her Flare job out of notice and seems to quit when the situation got bad. Perhaps She's the part that Lysandre could have followed. She was with TF but she backed out later. She also doesn't boast about beauty like him. She understanded the massive effort but the ways to attain it were not the best. Either she's intelligent too or sneaky, knowing when to give up as a heart change. Either way she's a sneaky one but a sexy one at that.

Diantha- I don't like short hair on women so I cannot flatter Diantha much. The fact that she says she wants to age with dignity shows she's not going to support Lysandre and has good manners. She also doesn't seem to crave for power like Blue did but more gracefully. But she appears so little in the games she could be more explored. She's also known well by the professor so she must have agreed to mega research too. In other words I say she's a person willing to help and not being selfish.
---
Xbox Live Gamertag: NAGASE KOFMI2
3DS FC: 1822-0244-5838 Steel Type with Klang,Ferroseed & Klefki
#18Nickcool1996Posted 1/24/2014 7:08:04 AM
The thing with DIantha is that she seems like a random trailer when she shouldn't be. She goes around saying "I battle in my free time" the two times that you meet her and before she leaves the 2nd time, she declares, "I'll give you that battle next time we meet". It makes for post-game stuff, not "Final Boss"-type deals.
---
Atlus Fans In General: http://i.imgur.com/yyrgQjP.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/user/Nickcool1996?feature=mhum
#19SilentS89(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2014 1:57:57 AM
rojse posted...
Sycamore - Pokemon X and Y are thematically about beauty, and Sycamore embodies that, too. I'm quite glad that their idea of a "beautiful" professor wasn't along the lines of a female Professor like Juniper. Not that I have anything against Juniper (or want to have anything against her) but I'm glad GF thought a bit outside the box here, and it seems that a lot of other fans are quite enamoured with Sycamore's design.

In retrospect Pokemon X and Y being thematically about beauty is obvious. But I didn't realize it until you mentioned it. You have a point about a beautiful professor being female would have been the obvious choice for a beautiful professor. GF took a bit of a risk here and I think it paid off. My sister loves Sycamore's design. She joked that she "reset her game to see Sycamore at the beginning again".

rojse posted...
Diantha - again, beauty, but I think that GF went for a more dignified and refined style of beauty, instead of a more obvious kind of beauty. Side note - I wouldn't be surprised if Diantha was partly based on Audrey Hepburn, since Hepburn comes from Brussels, a place quite close to France, and there are a few other similarities between Hepburn's appearance and Diantha's design. I also liked how one of the few scenes where you see Diantha is one about her accepting the idea of aging gracefully and not being fixated on being young and beautiful.

That Aubrey Hepburn connection seems likely. Her aging gracefully comment is a fairly uncommon one. Particularly in a video game, especially considering the popular image of beauty in Japan that sets heavy emphasis on youth.

rojse posted...
Lysandre - firstly, Lysandre is quite intelligent (he invented the holocaster)

It is mentioned by a Team Flare member that Team Flare spies on Holocaster communications, do you think this is a timely reference to NSA spying?

rojse posted...
There's also the fact that he cries at the thought of killing all of the pokemon and that they might be gone forever. Lysandre understands the consequences of his actions far in advance of him doing them.

I think this is the big thing that make Lysandre different from his predecessor villians. I can't recall a pokemon villian showing this level of compassion/empathy/regret (not sure which word is more appropriate). Most the Pokemon villians are irredeemable scum. I get the impression that things could have gone differently with Lysandre.

Thanks for being a good sport rojse and entertaining my questions.

SoulRequiem2 posted...
He also happens to be friends with Diantha who already has The Gardeviorite.

Not to mention Lysandre with his Mega Gyrados.
#20rojsePosted 1/26/2014 2:06:06 AM
SilentS89 posted...
In retrospect Pokemon X and Y being thematically about beauty is obvious. But I didn't realize it until you mentioned it.

They also mentioned it in their interviews prior to the game being released. I'm not going to take any credit for recognizing that.

SilentS89 posted...
It is mentioned by a Team Flare member that Team Flare spies on Holocaster communications, do you think this is a timely reference to NSA spying?

I would not think so. It's an important point for the game that fixes what would otherwise be a fairly big plot hole (how would Lysandre otherwise know about your power to wield Mega Evolution?), and the game has been in production for years. I also don't think that Gamefreak would deliberately put in a contemporary social reference, particularly one as contentious as the NSA spying on communications.

SilentS89 posted...
Thanks for being a good sport rojse and entertaining my questions.

No problem - it's nice to entertain a more thoughtful topic idea than what's typically on offer.
---
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/696959-pokemon-x/67782742
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/696959-pokemon-x/68400780