This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Sableye and Spiritomb

#1ActionButlerPosted 1/23/2014 7:51:35 AM(edited)
Is it worth running a Sableye that doesn't have Prankster or should I swap him out for a Spiritomb in order to fit the Ghost/Dark slot on my all-Ghost team? Even without Prankster, Sableye comes with the added benefit of Dazzling Gleam and Power Gem. On the other hand, Spiritomb seems a bit tankier and could at least run Rock Tomb.

The rest of the team, incidentally, is a Gengar, a Trevenant, a Jellicent, an Aegislash, and a Chandelure.

Obviously running a mono team is asking for trouble, but, ignoring that glaring flaw, which of the two works better to round out the roster?

---
3DS FC - 0232-9323-9187
Friend Safari: Water - Bibarel, Gyrados, Poliwhirl
#2Panja_636Posted 1/23/2014 7:52:59 AM
Without prankster sableye is very weak, run spiritomb instead.
---
Friend Code 0533-5449-3793 In game name: Panja
Safari: Bibarel, Floatzel, Poliwhirl
#3N-K-SPosted 1/23/2014 7:55:01 AM
ActionButler posted...
Is it worth running a Sableye that doesn't have Prankster or should I swap him out for a Spiritomb in order to fit the Ghost/Dark slot on my all-Ghost team? Even without Prankster, Sableye comes with the added benefit of Dazzling Gleam and Power Gem. On the other hand, Spiritomb seems a bit tankier and could at least run Rock Tomb.

Prankster is what makes sableye viable. I've never used a spiritomb so can't comment but yeah it's a lot tankier than sableye.

Here's my set up of sableye

Prankster - rocky helmet
252 hp, 252 def, 6 speed

Will o wisp
Foul play
Recover
Taunt

Pretty much a physical wall against anything that isn't a fire type or got the ability guts :p
---
Dark gym leader - Shadow Badge
3ds - 4484 8990 6986 - Pokemon Y - Christian
#4ActionButler(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2014 8:00:36 AM
That's what I thought. Might try to hatch a prankster sableye at some point, but I think I will stick with Spiritomb for now.

Thanks!
---
3DS FC - 0232-9323-9187
Friend Safari: Water - Bibarel, Gyrados, Poliwhirl
#5omega bahumatPosted 1/23/2014 8:04:19 AM
N-K-S posted...
ActionButler posted...

Prankster is what makes sableye viable. I've never used a spiritomb so can't comment but yeah it's a lot tankier than sableye.

Prankster - rocky helmet
252 hp, 252 def, 6 speed

Will o wisp
Foul play
Recover
Taunt

Pretty much a physical wall against anything that isn't a fire type or got the ability guts :p

Thank you.

Thank you so ****ing much for being reasonable.

ugh

btw, don't use defensive EVs - they wont help it nearly as much as Special Defence EV's.
#6N-K-SPosted 1/23/2014 8:18:37 AM
omega bahumat posted...
N-K-S posted...
ActionButler posted...

Prankster - rocky helmet
252 hp, 252 def, 6 speed

Will o wisp
Foul play
Recover
Taunt

Thank you.

Thank you so ****ing much for being reasonable.

ugh

btw, don't use defensive EVs - they wont help it nearly as much as Special Defence EV's.

Why? I already have a special wall and even with max hp and SpDef it won't survive many special attacks. It's much more fun watching an enemy slowly kill itself xD
---
#7Ku-Ri-BohPosted 1/23/2014 8:29:57 AM
WoW basically "doubles" your Def. you're vulnerable in the Special side and Sableye still has to survive to do its job anyway. Also never think of it as "Since i have a Special wall, i make it a physical wall". Sableye doesn't wall or serve as anything like that
---
3DS FC: 2449-4661-4119
#8omega bahumatPosted 1/23/2014 8:33:16 AM
Ku-Ri-Boh posted...
WoW basically "doubles" your Def. you're vulnerable in the Special side and Sableye still has to survive to do its job anyway. Also never think of it as "Since i have a Special wall, i make it a physical wall". Sableye doesn't wall or serve as anything like that

This right here, and mixed sweepers like Salamence will surprise and cripple you

or something like Megastoise will come in and ignore both your burn and foulplay while having excellent coverage against special walls.
Sableye is more of a crippling pivot than a wall anyway.
#9N-K-SPosted 1/23/2014 8:37:20 AM
Ku-Ri-Boh posted...

I switch whenever a special attacker comes in. Even with Ivs in spDef it's not going to survive many special hits. Anyway no one is right or wrong. This is the way I have my Sableye and think is the way it's staying
---
#10Ku-Ri-BohPosted 1/23/2014 9:02:51 AM
N-K-S posted...
Ku-Ri-Boh posted...

I switch whenever a special attacker comes in. Even with Ivs in spDef it's not going to survive many special hits. Anyway no one is right or wrong. This is the way I have my Sableye and think is the way it's staying

Yeah but everybody 's argument still holds more merit. Sableye still gets 2HKO'd or even OHKO'd physically with or without defense investment, so it's better to go for balanced overall because it's a pivot meant to survive and spread burn while outstalling those who choose to stay. I've beaten Special attackers who aren't strong enough to deal more than 2HKO and thus burnstalled them just like how i'd burnstall physical attackers. Not to mention Mixed attackers, something that's been mentioned
---
3DS FC: 2449-4661-4119