This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How old are people here who absolutely just play casually?

#1Ku-Ri-BohPosted 1/31/2014 7:32:18 PM
You can specify how casual you are, but i consider even knowing the functions of stats, status, move combinations and how some terms like EVs work to be "semi-competitive"

Don't worry, i respect you guys because some of you may be those who draw good fanarts etc

You can give an age range if you don't feel comfortable
Just for basic courtesy, i'm close to 30 who claims to be semi competitive. I think i've bred more than i actually train my Pokemon and when i do i mostly battle in in-game facility (like Maison) simply because many bad things can be "viable" and many good things can be randomly haxed still. Also certain things like how in the metagame, a Pokemon could be a top OU because it adapts to the meta like Gastrodon

When i'm bored of Pokemon, i draw fanarts, submit doujin to nico nico, etc. i consider myself pretty versatile with Pokemon. I don't ever complete my Pokedex though, i find it unrewarding for myself
---
3DS FC: 2449-4661-4119
#2FoundAUsernamePosted 1/31/2014 7:39:12 PM
Um... you can play casually even if you understand the functions of Pokemon.

That's like saying if you understand politics, you are a politician.
---
FC: 3823 - 9082 - 0515, Mii: Erica
Pokemon X Friend Safari: Cascoon, Ariados, Toxicroak
#3Ku-Ri-Boh(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2014 7:42:03 PM
FoundAUsername posted...
Um... you can play casually even if you understand the functions of Pokemon.

That's like saying if you understand politics, you are a politician.

Yeah that's why specify. I was referring to the ABSOLUTE casuals who know nothing at all like when we used to play 20 years ago
---
#4LeafJouninPosted 1/31/2014 7:42:27 PM
I'm 26 and I started playing competitively around 21, but even before that, I would have been competitive by your definition.

I always enjoyed battling, all the way back to Gold and Silver on a school bus in the early morning with a gameboy color and that magnifying glass/light that madcatz made. I digress, my White version currently holds at least three teams of six from previous generations from playing through each of those games at least three times. More for Gen 3 because I owned Ruby Sapphire and Emerald.

Anyway, with those teams on my Pearl version before I started playing competitively, I would experiment with strategies and movesets even though I had no idea what an EV or an IV were. I would even make my friends do gym leader challenges because I had the stock of pokemon to do it, but I was still playing it just to play it back then. I liked it.

When I pull out those Pokemon to battle my friends that aren't competitive, I'm still surprised by how they shun or don't even consider status moves. I don't enjoy (or condone) playing with legendaries that aren't mewtwo, so more often than not, I wouldn't have ever made it through the elite four and such without copious thunder waving and other such antics.
#5Ku-Ri-Boh(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2014 7:47:34 PM
LeafJounin posted...
I'm 26 and I started playing competitively around 21, but even before that, I would have been competitive by your definition.

I always enjoyed battling, all the way back to Gold and Silver on a school bus in the early morning with a gameboy color and that magnifying glass/light that madcatz made. I digress, my White version currently holds at least three teams of six from previous generations from playing through each of those games at least three times. More for Gen 3 because I owned Ruby Sapphire and Emerald.

Anyway, with those teams on my Pearl version before I started playing competitively, I would experiment with strategies and movesets even though I had no idea what an EV or an IV were. I would even make my friends do gym leader challenges because I had the stock of pokemon to do it, but I was still playing it just to play it back then. I liked it.

When I pull out those Pokemon to battle my friends that aren't competitive, I'm still surprised by how they shun or don't even consider status moves. I don't enjoy (or condone) playing with legendaries that aren't mewtwo, so more often than not, I wouldn't have ever made it through the elite four and such without copious thunder waving and other such antics.

I really respect people like you. There are a lot of those who just go to the extremes. Either they just completely call competitive ridiculous and rock-paper-scissor without knowing what they're talking about, or they're way too one dimensional just because they think they've understood competitive.

I first learned competitive in Platinum just so that i could use my favourites to great purposes. By genV, i was already a very competitive player who i admit has enough experience to help and stuff. Now i'm back to semi competitive because life
---
#6TheCorruptAngelPosted 1/31/2014 7:48:13 PM(edited)
I don't play competitively but I do make semi competitive-ready Pokémon - That is, I breed for IVs, EV train, pay attention to natures, stats, etc.

I'm 21 but started doing this at 20.
---
Your words are as empty as your signature!
What is a signature? A miserable little pile of secrets!
#7Pikachu300Posted 1/31/2014 7:51:22 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#8ShinyTepigPosted 1/31/2014 7:52:43 PM
Ku-Ri-Boh posted...
I really respect people like you. There are a lot of those who just go to the extremes. Either they just completely call competitive ridiculous and rock-paper-scissor without knowing what they're talking about, or they're way too one dimensional just because they think they've understood competitive.

I first learned competitive in Platinum just so that i could use my favourites to great purposes. By genV, i was already a very competitive player who i admit has enough experience to help and stuff. Now i'm back to semi competitive because life

I think it's safe to say I'm casually competitive. Yes, I'm competitive, but I'm not going to do whatever smogon tells me, or use the 3 most OP and annoying Pokemon, them being talonflame, aegislash and rotom wash (though, I do admit to using freeze.)
Though, I guess it might make me a little hypocritical because I use mega lucario and greninja, but whatever.
#9arumagesutoPosted 1/31/2014 8:00:41 PM
I'd fall into semi competitive I suppose, age 21. I never knew about any of the battle mechanics til last year when I played pokemon black and white 1 and 2 and a friend at college whooped my butt in a battle. I asked him why his metagross had stats much higher than mine all around and he showed me the ropes. I iv breed and ev train my pokemon now but I go for the ones I like; for example, I've been experimenting with throh, ferrothorn, avalugg and espeon because I like how they survive a lot. I battle on the pss whenever I find anyone looking for 6v6 singles and I do free 3v3 singles on battle spot every now and then but that's about it. I read a few things here and there on smogon to get ideas on what some people might do with common pokemon and look up useful movesets.
#10legendriderPosted 1/31/2014 8:05:51 PM
Just wondering...but what does age matter?
Is it just curiosity at work?
The ages won't be that different to those who do play competitively.
---
Don't play to win, play for fun. Love playing games with people, that's why I love Wi-Fi
3DS: 1203-9417-6170, PSN: Trixster196