This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I haven't played a Pokemon game since Pokemon Yellow

#1jason19192Posted 2/8/2014 9:25:19 PM
Will I be okay with the game, or should I play an older pokemon game to get a full grasp of the gameplay?
#2kirbydude385Posted 2/8/2014 9:28:21 PM
You should be fine, as long as you realize that quite a bit has been added like abilities and the physical/special split. Talk to the NPCs. They'll either tell you nothing, give you an item, or tell you stuff that would be "obvious info" to someone who's played every game, but would probably be useful to you.

There are 567 more Pokemon now than in Yellow, so be aware of that (plus 3 unreleased ones).
---
Official Manectric and Creator of the B/W, BW2, and XY Boards Clan
5000-1900-5785 | IGN: Kairos | Trapinch, Camerupt, Palpitoad
#3Dante2049Posted 2/8/2014 9:28:38 PM
This game is solid imo. Not the best around but, nothings ever gonna keep it down. GF made it a good bit easier now too so id say this may be a good place to start, as for type weakness and such ill find a chart for you to summerize
---
3ds- Pokemon X/FE: Awakening
Vita- Ys: Memories of Celtia/Muramasa Rebirth/Valhalla Knights 3
#4achimedPosted 2/8/2014 9:28:51 PM
You'll adapt, but it doesn't quite feel like Pokemon at first. Well, at least for me.
---
It was my destiny to be here; In the box.
3DS Friend Code : 1865 - 0341 - 2854.
#5Missingno_MastrPosted 2/8/2014 10:13:35 PM
A lot's changed, but not the basics of the gameplay- you still can only have six Pokémon at a time, they can each only know four moves at a time, battles work pretty much the same way... In that respect, it's really not that different. Here's some of the differences that are going to be most relevant to you at first.

-Pokémon now have genders. All this affects in battle is a couple of moves called Attract and Captivate, as they only work if the user and the opponent are of opposite genders. And the Cute Charm Ability, but I'll get into Abilities later. Most Pokémon can be either gender. Starters are more likely to be male than female. Some Pokémon can only be one gender (Chansey is only female, Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan are only male), and some like Voltorb and Magnemite don't have a gender at all. For a few Pokémon, their gender affects how they can evolve.

-Three new types have been introduced since Yellow- Dark, Steel, and Fairy. Some of the original Pokémon have had their types changed to reflect the introduction of these types- Magnemite and Magneton are Electric/Steel, Clefairy and Clefable are Fairy, Jigglypuff and Wigglytuff are Normal/Fairy, and Mr. Mime is Psychic/Fairy. None of the original Pokémon became Dark-types, however.

-There are changes to type effectiveness. Ghost is super effective against Psychic, Poison resists Bug, Bug takes normal damage from Poison, and Fire resists Ice. There are a few others, but they involve the newer types.

-Pokémon can hold items now, which can have an effect on them in battle. Stuff like Potions won't work for them, though. It'll be easy enough to tell what'll work when held in battle and what won't.

-Whether a move is physical or special no longer depends on its type. For instance, Sludge is now a special move, but Poison Sting remains a physical move. Likewise, Thunder Shock remains a special attack, but Thunder Punch is now physical.

-Now that the character limit is increased, the names of certain moves are now spaced differently, as I'm sure you might've guessed by my mention of Thunder Shock and Thunder Punch, each of which was originally one word. Selfdestruct is now Self-Destruct, Hi Jump Kick is now High Jump Kick.

-A few attacks changed type. Sand Attack is now a Ground move (still works on Flying-types, though), Karate Chop is now a Fighting move, Gust is now a Flying move, and Bite is now a Dark move.

-Some moves changed their effects. Tri Attack can now paralyze, burn, or freeze the opponent. Low Kick now has different base power based on how much the opponent weighs, and no longer makes the target flinch. Wrap, Fire Spin, and other moves like it... they're not so good anymore, I'm afraid.

-Each Pokémon has an Ability that can affect things in battle. Some can only have one Ability, others can have one of two, not counting a Hidden Ability (one that can only be gotten on a Pokémon under special circumstances, to put it simply). For instance, Arbok can have either Intimidate (lowers the opponent's Attack when it's sent out) or Shed Skin (has a 1 in 3 chance of healing off status effects each turn), and its Hidden Ability is Unnerve (if the opponent is holding a berry, it can't use it), whereas Weezing can only have Levitate (makes it immune to Ground moves).
---
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9247960/1/404-Error
http://gottaglitchemall.smackjeeves.com/
#6jason19192(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2014 11:40:29 PM
Missingno_Mastr posted...
A lot's changed, but not the basics of the gameplay- you still can only have six Pokémon at a time, they can each only know four moves at a time, battles work pretty much the same way... In that respect, it's really not that different. Here's some of the differences that are going to be most relevant to you at first.

-Pokémon now have genders. All this affects in battle is a couple of moves called Attract and Captivate, as they only work if the user and the opponent are of opposite genders. And the Cute Charm Ability, but I'll get into Abilities later. Most Pokémon can be either gender. Starters are more likely to be male than female. Some Pokémon can only be one gender (Chansey is only female, Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan are only male), and some like Voltorb and Magnemite don't have a gender at all. For a few Pokémon, their gender affects how they can evolve.

-Three new types have been introduced since Yellow- Dark, Steel, and Fairy. Some of the original Pokémon have had their types changed to reflect the introduction of these types- Magnemite and Magneton are Electric/Steel, Clefairy and Clefable are Fairy, Jigglypuff and Wigglytuff are Normal/Fairy, and Mr. Mime is Psychic/Fairy. None of the original Pokémon became Dark-types, however.

-There are changes to type effectiveness. Ghost is super effective against Psychic, Poison resists Bug, Bug takes normal damage from Poison, and Fire resists Ice. There are a few others, but they involve the newer types.

-Pokémon can hold items now, which can have an effect on them in battle. Stuff like Potions won't work for them, though. It'll be easy enough to tell what'll work when held in battle and what won't.

-Whether a move is physical or special no longer depends on its type. For instance, Sludge is now a special move, but Poison Sting remains a physical move. Likewise, Thunder Shock remains a special attack, but Thunder Punch is now physical.

-Now that the character limit is increased, the names of certain moves are now spaced differently, as I'm sure you might've guessed by my mention of Thunder Shock and Thunder Punch, each of which was originally one word. Selfdestruct is now Self-Destruct, Hi Jump Kick is now High Jump Kick.

-A few attacks changed type. Sand Attack is now a Ground move (still works on Flying-types, though), Karate Chop is now a Fighting move, Gust is now a Flying move, and Bite is now a Dark move.

-Some moves changed their effects. Tri Attack can now paralyze, burn, or freeze the opponent. Low Kick now has different base power based on how much the opponent weighs, and no longer makes the target flinch. Wrap, Fire Spin, and other moves like it... they're not so good anymore, I'm afraid.

-Each Pokémon has an Ability that can affect things in battle. Some can only have one Ability, others can have one of two, not counting a Hidden Ability (one that can only be gotten on a Pokémon under special circumstances, to put it simply). For instance, Arbok can have either Intimidate (lowers the opponent's Attack when it's sent out) or Shed Skin (has a 1 in 3 chance of healing off status effects each turn), and its Hidden Ability is Unnerve (if the opponent is holding a berry, it can't use it), whereas Weezing can only have Levitate (makes it immune to Ground moves).

great post, thanks for the help
#7nightmare75Posted 2/8/2014 11:50:18 PM
Special got split into Special Attack and Special Defense as well. Some moves are based on Attack, some on Special Attack. Moves will be marked as to which stat they use.
---
North Dakota State University Bison - THREE-TIME Defending Division I National Football Champions. #bisonation #threepeat