This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Many consider HG/SS to be the best Pokemon games; how do they compare to X/Y?

#81RJrockstarPosted 2/10/2014 9:40:08 AM
I actually feel connected to my pokemon this time. No longer sprites, they each have a full model, their own animations for different attacks, and you can play with them in Poke-Amie. There is a City now you can actually get lost in. I dont like the lack of legendaries though, even if they havent been released yet. you can only get Mewtwo, 1 Kanto bird, Zygarde and 1 Mascot Legendary.
---
Pokemon X Friend Safari:Ghost- Shuppet, Pumpaboo, ?????
FC is:4313-1594-4125
#82zelionxPosted 2/10/2014 9:47:44 AM
Lexifox posted...
zelionx posted...
"X/Y was too easy. It must suck"

"HGSS was too hard. It must have a bad leveling curve"

get good scrubs

HG/SS were not hard, but the leveling curve was terrible. The Johto games lack particularly good places to level, with the wild Pokemon being ten or so levels below the trainers you'll be battling, making it more of a grindfest, particularly when/if someone wants to change a Pokemon on their team because they caught something they like more.The latter is something of an issue when you're playing a new generation and want to try new Pokemon and you finally managed to find one after going through routes of the same old ones you're familiar with.

I beat the game with a well balanced team that had all my favorites without needing to grind. I was very underleveled the whole time too.

The level curve was bad but it was never a problem. I've never had to grind in any pokemon game
---
FC: 5412-9925-4803
IGN: Justin
#83MogKnightAzurePosted 2/10/2014 9:48:02 AM
Battle Frontier is the only true 'post-game' content.. and to that end people are craving a Pokemon Stadium 3. More battle options is what we're really looking for here. They went and added Sky Battles and Inverse Battles and then did nothing with them (limited sky battles, ONE inverse battle). It would have been nice to have these types of battles in the battle maison, maybe. Well, I guess sky battles can essentially just be mono-flying type battles... but my point still stands on inverse.
---
"pkmn X focused on the online, making it easier to trade and battle. but this will never work unless they remove this horrible metagaming." - immadbro
#84Hi-Ho-Diddly-DoPosted 2/10/2014 9:52:08 AM
MogKnightAzure posted...
Battle Frontier is the only true 'post-game' content.. and to that end people are craving a Pokemon Stadium 3. More battle options is what we're really looking for here. They went and added Sky Battles and Inverse Battles and then did nothing with them (limited sky battles, ONE inverse battle). It would have been nice to have these types of battles in the battle maison, maybe. Well, I guess sky battles can essentially just be mono-flying type battles... but my point still stands on inverse.

I really want online Inverse battles in a future game. Sky Battles are dumb (Rotom-W+Charizard+Aerodactyl+Cryogonal: The Team: The Movie: The Ride), but Inverse battles are pretty interesting.
#85zelionxPosted 2/10/2014 9:54:37 AM
Hi-Ho-Diddly-Do posted...
MogKnightAzure posted...

I really want online Inverse battles in a future game. Sky Battles are dumb (Rotom-W+Charizard+Aerodactyl+Cryogonal: The Team: The Movie: The Ride), but Inverse battles are pretty interesting.

Rotom is allowed in a sky battle? I have to go see a washing machine floating in the sky right away if that's true
---
FC: 5412-9925-4803
IGN: Justin
#86KeyserVancePosted 2/10/2014 10:18:59 AM
Lexifox...

X/Y end up in the same boat as the Johto games: terrible maingames, but good mechanics, bug fixes, and multiplayer. X/Y's story was terrible, it had no pacing, the characters were pretty meaningless, the 3D was a letdown, the Champion has very little to do with the plot (compare Alder, Cynthia, etc.), little to no new Pokemon, Mega Pokemon are a badly implemented gimmick (Mawile, Absol, Houndoom, etc. should have gotten standard evolutions instead of tying them to a gimmick that prevents use and item holding), the level scaling was weird, the whole Bank/Transfer thing was kind of a cluster, NPCs are scared to use more than three Pokemon, and I could keep going on, yeah.

This makes perfect sense now. I will admit I share your sentiments on certain points such as the low number of new Pokémon, the choice to implement MegaEvolution as opposed to standard evolution, the relatively weak story, the Champion's insignificance in said story, and NPCs using incomplete teams.

The difference here is that I find these to be really small, insignificant facets of a Pokémon game. I have never placed much stock in the story of a Pokémon game since I beat Blue the first time back in 98. I am 24 years old now, and I got a Gameboy Color when it came out in November of that year, to provide some more credentials. I've rarely found the writing in Pokémon games to be any better than the standard Nintendo fare of: Silent Protagonist does stuff, friendship and yay! For that reason, I suppose the wavering storyline of X/Y didn't faze me, since it's what I was expecting.

I will admit I was put off by MegaEvolution at first. I shared your sentiments almost to the letter. After using them, they have really grown on me. I think it was a great idea that helped increase the accessibility of the series and pay homage to many other giants in animated culture (DBZ, Digimon, etc.) Like it or not, they're here to stay. Removal of this concept would be a step backward that would require retcons and further divide the fanbase now that Megas have their own fans. I chose to embrace it, and have not regretted it once.

I still think Bank is one of the best additions to this generation, even if it was handled oddly and may have understandably left a bad taste in the mouths of players far and wide. Without Bank we would be stuck in the new Generation Break like after Crystal into R/S. It was justifiable then, but not at all in this day and age. The ability to store so many Pokémon for such a low cost is invaluable to me, even with every flaw and strange oversights like intermittent touch screen support. I stand by that mentality in regards to the 3D support as well. I rarely use the 3D even in battle, and I don't really find it to be that big a deal.

This brings up a very important point that should be addressed along with this topic's poll: Why do you play Pokémon, and what does a Pokémon game mean to you, the player? What do you enjoy most about these games? This was no doubt the source of my confusion when it came to our difference of opinions. Anyone who's willing to answer these questions when they vote in this poll will aid this community in finding out exactly what makes Pokémon games so great in general, and will strengthen the sense of camaraderie between us as a whole.

Personally, I think the biggest and most important change in the Pokémon series was the addition of online services in D/P. Had they foregone such a route, this series would have likely gone down some time ago. I think Pokémon has the potential to remain one of the top gaming franchises of all time so long as they continue to improve their online services along with their core games. To me, Pokémon is all about interacting with your fellow players, whether it be through trade or battle, as you work together to create the most fun experience a game can provide.
---
3DS Friend Code: 3110-5068-2757
Grass type Friend Safari with Sunkern, Petilil, and Maractus
#87Kilp45Posted 2/10/2014 1:15:47 PM
Ku-Ri-Boh posted...
Lexifox posted...
I would rather play X/Y over HG/SS. X/Y aren't good, but HG/SS are terrible.

---
http://www.youtube.com/user/BalloonClock - Be sure to check out my vids.
Black 2 FC: 5329-8868-7421
#88Teh_TiltyuPosted 2/10/2014 1:25:00 PM
standard online features with s*** postgame > trying to fix GSC's awfulness and failing because there was too much wrong with johto in the first place
---
King of Fighters is objectively the best franchise.
"Mounted Emblem: Sigurdology of the Holsety War" - heavylobsterguy
#89ToughestPosted 2/10/2014 1:30:47 PM
idk HeartGold/SoulSilver were pretty good, x/y is in a whole new different league though...
---
[Jeremy] [Snowman] [3DS Friend Code: 3668-8401-6321]
''Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, it's just yours is stupid.''
#90zinformantPosted 2/10/2014 1:35:26 PM(edited)
The second generation games are the worst in terms of game design, second only to the originals. Here, there's no comparison.

KeyserVance posted...
I have never placed much stock in the story of a Pokémon game since I beat Blue the first time back in 98. I am 24 years old now, and I got a Gameboy Color when it came out in November of that year, to provide some more credentials. I've rarely found the writing in Pokémon games to be any better than the standard Nintendo fare of: Silent Protagonist does stuff, friendship and yay! For that reason, I suppose the wavering storyline of X/Y didn't faze me, since it's what I was expecting.

That's a common misconception. The thematic elements have much depth to them and have been carefully thought through. The parts of the Pokemon formula you find normally unremarkable were used advantageously. They have done this twice now (BW1, XY). This was not a focus previously.
---
My 100 RPG Battle Themes Countdown - give it a listen!
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrjNY3iWNtWyJvcNzXJL5WzxdtQ58N_hs