This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why did Gamefreak have to go overboard with priority?!

#1pafbonkPosted 2/11/2014 1:35:59 PM
Gen 1: Quick attack. That's it. It's weak, and its only goal is to kill a weakened Pokemon. That's all priority should have ever been.

Gen 2: Extremespeed. Sig move for Arcanine, not too powerful. Still reasonable.

Then they went f***** nuts and made Sucker Punch, Fake Out, Ice Shard, Shadow Sneak, Mach Punch, Bullet Punch, Vacuum Wave, Aqua Jet, Technician to make all of them even stronger and broken abilities like Prankster which spread like wildfire to way too many Pokemon and Gale Wings which is just the epitome of ridiculous.

Remember when having a lot of speed meant something?

And now people want fire priority.

How about no.
---
Bow-ties are cool.
#2nskyliner34Posted 2/11/2014 1:38:51 PM
It's too help out horrible pokemon that need priority. Like what is talonflame even supposed to do without GW lol. Just help hatch eggs I guess.
---
"They laugh at me because im different...but i laugh at them because there all the same"
#3NextgrandcrossPosted 2/11/2014 1:42:48 PM
I kinda curious why they haven't made a Pokemon with a ability that completely negates priority moves yet.
---
FC: 3196-4054-9565
Ditto, loudred, lilipup
#4Ace81892Posted 2/11/2014 1:44:23 PM
It's a necessary evil to keep speed from being over-powered.
---
2DS FC: 3540-0246-0507
"There are other ways to boost one's ego than bashing" "None of which are even half as fun." -ChapFromKrugis
#5Xynaxus64Posted 2/11/2014 1:45:17 PM
I think they did that because Speed was being overused already. They're trying to provide incentive to ditch the Speed stat sometimes, and try other stats out as well.
---
3ds FC: 1977-0205-6694
IGN: Dr. Z
#6OctazPosted 2/11/2014 1:48:45 PM(edited)
There's a lot more priority this gen but in doubles (the meta they care about) they also massively buffed Quick Guard to counteract it. Quick Guard now blocks moves boosted by Prankster/Gale Wings, and can be used successively with no failure chance.

Prankster is still the single worst idea gamefreak has ever come up with, of course
#7NokocchiPosted 2/11/2014 1:48:54 PM
I should point out that Mach Punch is a 2nd gen move, not a 4th gen one. Originally exclusive to the Hitmon line(chan via level up, the rest via breeding)
#8YourLuckPosted 2/11/2014 1:50:46 PM
pafbonk posted...
Gen 1: Quick attack. That's it. It's weak, and its only goal is to kill a weakened Pokemon. That's all priority should have ever been.

Gen 2: Extremespeed. Sig move for Arcanine, not too powerful. Still reasonable.

Then they went f***** nuts and made Sucker Punch, Fake Out, Ice Shard, Shadow Sneak, Mach Punch, Bullet Punch, Vacuum Wave, Aqua Jet, Technician to make all of them even stronger and broken abilities like Prankster which spread like wildfire to way too many Pokemon and Gale Wings which is just the epitome of ridiculous.

Remember when having a lot of speed meant something?

And now people want fire priority.

How about no.

Actually yes, having lots of speed does still mean something. Which is why having 31 speed iv is probably the most important for most sweepers, even those that use a priority move.

Really the only pokemon that rely on priority are Azumarill (one of its strongest sets is BellyJet) and Talonflame (Yes, GaleBird is strong, but it has a lot of weaknesses, namely that it's a recoil move). There are others, but those pokemon have lot of other reasons for being so powerful.

And what would be bad about a fire priority? The only priority moves that are missing that would logically have priority are fire and electric.
---
A familiar note is produced.
It's the note Desolation plays to keep its instrument in tune
#9100DumplingsPosted 2/11/2014 1:52:40 PM
nskyliner34 posted...
It's too help out horrible pokemon that need priority. Like what is talonflame even supposed to do without GW lol. Just help hatch eggs I guess.

They could have simply made it's stats better or gave it an already established good ability instead of introducing a potentially game breaking new ability.
---
100 dumplings for each of you? What's that work out to? 5 dumplings a pop?
FC: 5472 - 7533 - 2799 IGN: Parfit
#10Tsukasa1891Posted 2/11/2014 1:57:27 PM
nskyliner34 posted...

because only out speeding 99% of all pokemon makes it useless without gale wings.
---
3DS 2165-5497-5235