This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can WP Carbink be a thing and work well?

#1PuppyfaicPosted 2/11/2014 7:29:16 PM(edited)
I love its design, I love its typing.
But its stats are abysmal for the movepool it has(Read: All it can do is SR and really weak Explosion).

In theory, would this be a good set to remedy its bad stats into a good bulky attacker?

Carbink @ Weakness Policy
Hasty/Naive Nature
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 63 HP / 193 SpA / 252 Spe
Rock Polish
Moonblast
Power Gem
HP Ground/Fire
---
3DS FC: 0216 1295 1824 | Pokemon X IGN: Puppyfaic | Bergmite, Snorunt, Piloswine
Playing: Pokemon X, Mario Kart 7, PMD Gates to Infinity
#2NeoNaviZeroPosted 2/11/2014 7:15:11 PM(edited)
If you're going for making it a decent attacker and plan on having Rock Polish, holding Weakness Policy or Petaya Berry is probably your best bet. It'd still be susceptible to priority regardless, especially Bullet Punch.

Edit: As for how good it'd fare, I haven't the faintest idea. Rock/Fairy is a very strange type combination, but those freakin' defenses.

Double Edit: Why not run Power Gem instead of Rock Slide/Stone Edge?
---
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -Douglas Adams
#3Misha-HeartPosted 2/11/2014 7:19:25 PM(edited)
Doesn't Carbink have 50 Attack/Sp. Attack? No point in making it a sweeper when it can't hurt anything without super-effectives.
---
Yuri/Shoujo-Ai is the purest love. No questions asked.
Sakura Trick has brought forth hope and will revolutionize the world.
#4Puppyfaic(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2014 7:24:38 PM(edited)
NeoNaviZero posted...
If you're going for making it a decent attacker and plan on having Rock Polish, holding Weakness Policy or Petaya Berry is probably your best bet. It'd still be susceptible to priority regardless, especially Bullet Punch.

Edit: As for how good it'd fare, I haven't the faintest idea. Rock/Fairy is a very strange type combination, but those freakin' defenses.

Double Edit: Why not run Power Gem instead of Rock Slide/Stone Edge?

I originally wanted it to be a mixed attacker but realised that this set would lack the power needed to score those OHKOs if I spread the EVs too thin, so straight Special Attacker is probably better since I can invest even more into SpA, then. Also, Power Gem is more reliable than both of those moves.

I did the math, and Carbink's offensive stats at Lv50 would look like this with perfect IVs and +Speed nature after WP + Rock Polish:
140 / 188 / 224

I think a STAB Moonblast or Power Gem is definitely more than enough to OHKO at that point, and any Super Effective hit that isn't 4x effective will probably bring Carbink to around 50%, at which point it can use its new stats to secure the kill on whatever it needs to.
---
3DS FC: 0216 1295 1824 | Pokemon X IGN: Puppyfaic | Bergmite, Snorunt, Piloswine
#5PkmTrainerAbramPosted 2/11/2014 7:19:40 PM
I ran mine with Dual Screens and Explosion. Can't it do that too?
---
3DS Friend Code:0044 4173 2062
IGN: Is Abram in Japanese.....Friend Safari: Steel - Klang/Magneton/Klefki
#6Puppyfaic(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2014 7:21:42 PM
PkmTrainerAbram posted...
I ran mine with Dual Screens and Explosion. Can't it do that too?

It can, but I don't like Explosion on Carbink due to having such a low Attack stat. It will barely even dent anything, and walls will shrug it off like nothing happened.
---
#7PkmTrainerAbramPosted 2/11/2014 7:24:00 PM
Well, the point of mine is to set up both screens with Light Clay extending the duration to 8-9? turns and then getting out my way to make room for something better to setup and WRECK SOME ****.
---
3DS Friend Code:0044 4173 2062
IGN: Is Abram in Japanese.....Friend Safari: Steel - Klang/Magneton/Klefki
#8Puppyfaic(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2014 7:25:35 PM
Well, the point of mine is to set up both screens with Light Clay extending the duration to 8-9? turns and then getting out my way to make room for something better to setup and WRECK SOME ****.

That's a good idea, but I just don't like using sacrifice leads. Makes me sad to see them kill themselves >.>
---
#9SpoonMan54321Posted 2/11/2014 7:34:49 PM
more carbink is going to spawn from breeding diancie with ditto and have a chance to get its super hidden ability which is a special version of Huge Power.

when that happens, this set will not only be viable but kind of scary.
---
...and bababooey to y'all
0946-2391-1483 - Illumise, Paras, Venomoth
#10RAcastBlasterPosted 2/11/2014 7:35:54 PM(edited)
Puppyfaic posted...

That's a good idea, but I just don't like using sacrifice leads. Makes me sad to see them kill themselves >.>

Use Carbink in doubles then. It's a SUPER tough mixed wall and Trick Room setter extraordinaire.

Carbink @ Lum Berry
Sturdy
Relaxed/Sassy @ 0 Speed IV
252 HP/ whatever EVs make its defenses equal
~TR
~Moonblast
~Rest
~Protect/Toxic

Also, that Moonblast does more damage than you'd expect it to.
---
Currently playing: Pokemon Y (Name: Ensei), Xenoblade Chronicles, 3DS FC: 2277-7562-5299 Friend Safari: Ghost @ Drfiblim, Lampent
Steel types are the best!