This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Elect your favorite Pokemon to star in GameFAQs 'Pokemon of the Day'!

#1RatheVPosted 2/12/2014 10:01:45 PM
Recently, there's been a lot of criticism aimed at Serebii's 'Pokemon of the Week' articles.

Less recently, and unlikely to stop, is the everlasting criticism of Smogon.

One of the common retorts to these complaints is "go and make your own analysis, then". So I thought to myself "OK, why not? We'll make our own analyses, with blackjack and hookers!"

Unfortunately, I left my cards in my other pants, along with my hookers. So here's how this is going to work:

In this topic, pick 3 Pokemon you'd like to see reviewed. Feel free to include any movesets or comments along with your choices, but be aware that the actual analysis construction will take place in another topic. I'll tally the results and make a poll for the most popular choices, and the analyses will be made in order accordingly. Then rinse/repeat for less popular choices, and make another 'preliminary' topic like this if needed.

You can also leave feedback on how you'd like the analyses to be made. Here's what I have in mind right now:

1-The major difference is that these will be made daily, hence the name (speaking of names, feel free to suggest a better one than 'POTD')

2-I'll compile most of the analyses, but I'll credit the makers of the sets, and attribute any set comments to the appropriate user. I'm not too witty, so my own comments may be sparse some days.If I'm busy/sick/suspended/temporarily dead, I'll pass the burden onto somebody else. We'll figure that out later, but feel free to note if you'd be up to subbing

3-Each Pokemon will be analyzed in regards to single and double battles, If you'd like to throw in a bit of information for another battle format, feel free to, and it might be included as a bonus. If you'd like to see triple/rotation/inverse battle information appear in every analysis, let me know in your post!

4-We'll be looking at both smogon OU and Battle Spot formats - so whichever format you know best, feel free to contribute! Keep in mind that this means that we'll have to take into consideration threats from both formats, such as Kyurem-B in Smogon OU and Mega Kanga from battle spot. As the lower tiers are formed, we'll look at those, as well.

5-Lastly, but importantly - these analyses will be written in a positive way, to encourage the use of the Pokemon being showcased. They may occasionally include gimmicky/nontraditional sets. The point is to showcase each Pokemon's strengths and to garner interest in Pokemon that aren't seen as often in competitive play. While of course we want the sets to be as viable as possible, thinking outside the box is encouraged.

To state that last point in another way, imagine you're advising a friend, and the Pokemon being written about is their favorite Pokemon. Natrually you're going to need to address that Pokemon's flaws, but at the end of the day, nothing you say will dissuade them from using that 'Mon, so being overly negative or harsh isn't helpful.

I think that covers most everything, but feel free to give your input! And don't forget to nominate 3 Pokemon to be reviewed!
#2zelionxPosted 2/12/2014 10:05:16 PM
I nominate Luvdisc for Valentine's Day
---
FC: 5412-9925-4803
IGN: Justin
#3KantonosoPosted 2/12/2014 10:06:15 PM
*applauds* Good idea! I especially like the bit about gimmicky/unorthodox setups and positive reviws to encourage use!

Not counting "Ubers" (Mew why must you be banned, noooooo) I guess my 3 primary favorites are...

- Bulbasaur line
- Azumarill
- Altaria
---
PSN: Ranylyn. 3DS FC: 3883-5283-2067 Pokemon X Safari: Kakuna, Venomoth, Croagunk
(Recent restart, Croagunk not available atm)
#4BurnedPotatoesPosted 2/12/2014 10:09:02 PM
Are you sure this is a good idea?
---
3DS FC: 4656-7454-0042 FS: Flying Type, Pidgey, Tranquill, and Rufflet
I don't give people serious answers unless needed.
#5RatheV(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2014 10:18:06 PM
BurnedPotatoes posted...

Did anybody get anywhere in life by doubting themselves?

Probably, yeah.
#6SpunkySixPosted 2/12/2014 10:19:11 PM
Feraligatr
---
Tissue to the extreme!
I'd like to be a tree.
#7BurnedPotatoesPosted 2/12/2014 10:24:21 PM
RatheV posted...
BurnedPotatoes posted...

Did anybody get anywhere in life by doubting themselves?

Probably, yeah.

-Houndoom/Mega Houndoom
- Heracross/Mega Heracross
-Swampert
---
3DS FC: 4656-7454-0042 FS: Flying Type, Pidgey, Tranquill, and Rufflet
I don't give people serious answers unless needed.
#8FoxFluffPosted 2/12/2014 10:27:40 PM(edited)
I like this idea! Barring NFE pokemon, I'll toss innnn..

Arcanine
Jynx
Mothim

I like the idea of unorthodox sets. Early in gen 5, the last time I really battled much, I used Arcanine very bulky in the sun with rocky helmet (or is that not unorthodox now, lol). It was actually pretty successful! But I didn't play OU, mind you. Jynx was always fun to use, and Mothim is just cute. I have too many favourites though :(

If you do this for a while, think you may delve into Little Cup style analyses? I also like the idea of trying to put the pokemon in a positive light.
---
Stand
Please
#9Dembonez19Posted 2/12/2014 10:28:03 PM
My bear buddies:

Ursaring
Pangoro
Spinda

(Sorry, Beartic. I don't really like you.)
#10Xynaxus64Posted 2/12/2014 10:29:03 PM
Cool idea! I nominate:
Porygon-Z
Tropius
Quagsire
---
3ds FC: 1977-0205-6694
IGN: Dr. Z