This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

ATTN: Mono-Type Team Trainers

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. ATTN: Mono-Type Team Trainers
1 year ago#41
This was my first mono-type team that I posted awhile ago:

Mysterio (Hawlucha) (M) @ Red Card
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SDef
- Bulk Up
- Substitute
- Acrobatics
- Baton Pass

Juggernaught (Chesnaught) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Spiky Shield
- Hammer Arm
- Wood Hammer

Seiten-Taisei (Infernape) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 180 Atk / 76 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Overheat
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat

Chyna (Conkeldurr) (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Payback
- Stone Edge
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch

Sneaky B. (Toxicroak) (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Fictionless (Lucario) (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Inner Focus
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Lonely Nature
- Counter
- Shadow Claw
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed

---
Yes, I did know that Unburden boosts couldn't be passed by Baton Pass before I made this team.

Also, I should have had Vacuum Wave on the Toxicroak, but I thought that the OHKO on Gliscor would be worth it (this set outspeeds the common 72 Speed EV Gliscor set). I was kind of right. Kind of. Croak is also there to absorb Scalds and Toxic Spikes.

Oh, and Chesnaught won me two battles in this tourney. A certain overused Pokemon couldn't touch it...but I replaced EQ with SE and had to play around that.

My main issue seemed to be Fire Types. I was going to run a Coba Berry Water Absorb Poliwrath, but one with 252 EV investment in Atk barely OHKOs a Talonflame with Waterfall so I thought it wasn't worth it (although the recoil + Waterfall would kill it...didn't think about that).

I've edited it since then to fix typing issues.
---
Atlus Fans In General: http://i.imgur.com/yyrgQjP.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/user/Nickcool1996?feature=mhum
1 year ago#42
Volcarona
Vivillion
Armaldo
Scizor (mega)
Heracross
This sixth slot is usually my HM slave but sometimes it switches between Scolipede if singles or Venomoth if doubles. I keep praying for the day of a decent water bug.
---
fEeD mEh!!1
1 year ago#43
eh bored at work guess I'll actually type out my team

Banette w/ banettite
frisk (prankster), impish
252 HP 126 def 126 sdef
knock off
shadow sneak
will-o-wisp
destiny bond

Mismagius w/ life orb
levitate, timid
252 spe 252 spa 4 HP
nasty plot
shadow ball
dazzling gleam
power gem

Gengar w/ black sludge
levitate, timid
252 spe 252 spa 4 HP
substitute
sludge bomb
thunderbolt
psychic

jellicent w/ leftovers
water absorb, bold
252 HP 248 def 8 sdef
recover
toxic
ice beam
scald

dusclops w/ eviolite
pressure, careful
252 HP 248 sdef 8 def
will-o-wisp
curse
pain split
fire punch

golurk w/ (not sure)
no guard, adamant
252 atk (100-something spe rest HP)
rock polish
dynamic punch
stone edge
earthquake

It definitely has some problems but I really didn't want to use the basic aegislash and sableye fare. speaking of aegislash, I've found fighting those to be my biggest problem. the only way I can really deal with them is suiciding banette and even that goes in the gutter if it gets paralyzed or something. fire punch might seem like a really weird choice on dusclops (and it is) but absolutely nobody expects it and it has killed many unsuspecting steel/ice types with it.
jellicent would normally be specially bulky but even having it go physical I've been able to toxic stall a mega mewtwo Y spamming shadow ball on me so the extra physical defense rounds him off on the other end well enough. another legit criticism is not packing STAB ghost on a few guys that you normally would, but I opted for more coverage on the likes of gengar and golurk (mismgaius has perfect neutral coverage already anyhow), and psychic on gengar in particular has surprised some people just like dusclops' fire punch.
golurk is my problem child, and he is actually really quick after a rock polish, but not sure on the item. I've been using that berry that ups attack in a pinch but the proc area is kind of slim and it either just dies outright from a hit or doesn't get low enough to activate it. Thinking with swapping to either an expert belt or more likely a focus sash to guarantee the rock polish.
---
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Paiguy
http://i.imgur.com/FNq8ABS.png
1 year ago#44
Dragon!

:D

I'm so lame. .-.

Dragonite, Goodra, Salamence, Garchomp, Noivern, and Ampharos (Mega is part-Dragon, so it counts in my book)

Ice wrecks my s*** because I refuse to use Legends as that doesn't feel right.

Edit: I should probably post movesets

Goodra
Ability: Gooey
Nature: Bold
Item: Leftovers
EVs: 252HP/252Def/4Sp.Def
Moves: Infestation, Toxic, Substitute, Protect

Goodra's the annoying staller. Somehow, I managed to out-stall a rather bizarre Whimsicott set. T'was pretty cool.

Dragonite
Ability: Multiscale
Nature: Careful
Item: Leftovers
EVs: 252HP/4Atk/252Sp.Def
Moves: Dragon Tail, Thunder Wave, Substitute, Roost

Annoying staller #2. I'm thinking of changing out Dragon Tail since this strategy is less effective without Rocks.

Salamence
Ability: Moxie
Nature: Adamant
Item: Lum Berry
EVs: 252Atk/4Sp.Atk/252Spd
Moves: Dragon Claw, Earthquake, Fire Blast, Dragon Dance

Sweeper/wall breaker. I was really having a hard time deciding who was best for the team. I may switch him out for Haxorus just to laugh at Rotom-W trying to dodge Earthquakes.

Garchomp
Ability: Rough Skin
Nature: Jolly
Item: Choice Scarf
EVs: 4HP/252Atk/252Spd
Moves: Outrage, Earthquake, Stone Edge, Iron Head

Revenge Killer. Also works well as a late-game sweeper. It's Garchomp, not like it's rocket-science.

Noivern
Ability: Infiltrator
Nature: Timid
Item: Choice Specs
EVs: 252Sp.Atk/4Sp.Def/252Spd
Moves: Draco Meteor, Hurricane, Flamethrower, Switcheroo

I know it's generally treated as an inferior Latios, but I generally prefer Noivern. Higher speed + the ability to ignore Substitutes and screens is a major + in my book.

Ampharos
Ability: Static (Mold Breaker)
Nature: Modest
Item: Amphrosite
EVs: 4HP/252Sp.Atk/252Spd
Moves: Thunderbolt, Dragon Pulse, Focus Blast, Agility

A lot of people seem to underestimate Ampharos, but Mega Ampharos is one of my favorite megas (as well as Mega-Zard X and Mega Mawile). After an Agility, Mega Ampharos is 1 point faster than +Speed Greninja, which is pretty impressive.

I may be making tweaks to this team, though. I may switch Salamence over to a wall breaker and may have to replace Dragonite with Latias w/ Defog.
---
3DS FC: 2578-3118-6645 PSN: PowahBoxers
Pokemon Friend Safari: Nincada, Sandshrew, Gastrodon
1 year ago#45
I like Mono-Type Teams because, as said, you really need to approach battles differently, which is fun and refreshing. There's a huge difference between "Oh, I'm using Venusaur and my opponent sent out Charizard, I'll switch to Gyarados" and "Oh, my opponent has charizard but I have a Mono Grass team, I need to work with what I have."

It's also a lot of fun because my friends sometimes run Monotype. One of my older friends is a Grass Trainer, and a more recent one is a Steel Trainer ("Why does everyone use fire starters FFFFFFF"). My best friend inadvertently became ALMOST Mono-Fire in Y (Fennekin, Charmander, Fletchinder, and I sent him a Larvesta from his own Safari.) So I have a lot of fun.

I'm not done building my mono type teams, but I have a few ideas in the works. I'm leaving out IV/EV spreads and movepools because I don't have the right IVs yet.

Grass (Singles, Rotations)

Venusaur with Venusaurite (Thick Fat on the Mega basically nullifies the Fire/Ice weakness.) It's slow, but has ways around it. It can wear down pokemon with resistances to both grass and poison (Steel, Poison. Doubly scizor since Bug further resists grass) via sleep powder and leech seed, and it can STAB Sludge Bomb as well, which helps in eliminating pure grass types. Venusaur is mainly a trump card against fire/ice becaue of Thick Fat, really.

Abomasnow: Yeah, it has a a terrible weakness spread, but Venusaur's got fire covered. It's Ice STAB helps against one of grass's weaknesses Venusaur does NOT have covered: Flying. Yes, it's slow, and a good enough flyer could probably oneshot it, but if it doesn't, Abomasnow will likely OHKO them right back, unless it's a fire/flying.

Meganium: I mostly want this just to troll people who hate it. Chikorita may be screwed by the Johto region, but it's not that bad a choice overall.

Exeggutor: I know what you're thinking: "Why?" My answer: That Special Attack Stat. To give you an idea, in Pokemon Stadium 1, before the Special Attack/Defense split, Exeggutor was single handedly the biggest problem in sweeping prime cup with Mewtwo. Nothing else could slow me down. Exeggutor would likey be the closest thing my team has to a dedicated sweeper.

Whimsicott: I've never had one, myself, but I hear this thing is a status troll. Sounds like a must for a mono-grass team.

6th slot undecided

Water (Doubles/Triples) (Since Smogon has baned Rain Dance + Swift Swim in some tiers, I have deliberately gimped my team so as to not be called out on being cheap. Well there's more than one way to make a good team, so suck it!)

Vaporeon, Mantine, and Lapras: Good HP, Water Absorb, and Surf. In doubles. Think about it fr a second. Definitely not broken, but 25% (Middle poke gets 50% healing in tripples) healing per turn in addition to hurting both opponents is a sweet perk. Lapras can Rain Dance/Thunder, and Vaporeon always has Acid Armor if things get Physical. Mantine also has Aqua Ring. If just one goes down, I can bring in another surfer to keep them healed, I just can't heal this new surfer.

Quagsire: Basically my anti-elec foil. I COULD use Swampert, but whoever herd i liek mudkip heard VERY WRONG. Besides, Quagsire is so lovably derpy and I like it when my opponents rage at losing to one. Worth noting: He can earthquake alongside Mantine without hitting it, making it a good partner to deal with electric types trying to 4x Mantine.

5th and 6th undecided. Torn between continuing the endurance trend, bringing in some heftier offense, or going fo pure type coverage. I guess Ludicolo can do 2 of the 3, being Water/Grass with Rain Dish, but I really don't LIKE Ludicolo! Other ideas include Azumarill, Lanturn, and Greninja.

Gaaaah post limit. I had one more (Mono Ghost) that I'll need to skip for now.
---
PSN: Ranylyn. 3DS FC: 3883-5283-2067 Pokemon X Safari: Kakuna, Venomoth, Croagunk
(Recent restart, Croagunk not available atm)
1 year ago#46
OSG Shiny league Steel type Gym leader here

I move my team around so I don't get bored, but my favorite 6 set up is as below

Steelix
Bisharp
Aegislash
Mega Lucario
Ferrothron/Forrestress
Aggron

other MVP's are Kinklang and Klefki. Surprisingly enough Scizor and Skarmory just don't cut it on my team :S
---
IGN: Eslay FC: 3668-7959-0624 Shiny List: http://tinyurl.com/l9f8a2j
OSG League Standings: http://tinyurl.com/osgleague
1 year ago#47
Actually, screw it, double post!

Ghost (Singles, Rotations)

Aegislash: Yeah, I know, cliche, but I wanted every ghost to have a different sub-typing. I did consider Eviolite Doublade, but decided against it. Anyways, Aegislash Basically negates Steel's weakness to fighting, which is nice. Aegislash makes a good counter to Ice, Fairy, Poison, and Psychic in particular. It's also one of the few pokemon on this team that has any resitance to Dark.

Golurk: Need I say more? Yes? Okay. Part ground makes it a good counter to fire, electric, and steel.

Gengar: I want to give this the gengarite but lolsmogon and all that. So I'll settle for Black Sludge. Undecided whther to go for attack coverage (Shadow Ball, Psychic, Thunderbolt, and Sludge Bomb) or to take the Black Sludge further with a Hypnosis/Dream Eater/Substitute getup.

Chandelure: Not only do I love the typing (Fire/Ghost) but I love the stats. Chandelure provides a good counter to Grass, Bug, and Ice.

Spiritomb: People love Psychics. This exists mainly as a counter to Psychic, because I'd rather risk Spiritomb than Aegislash when Aegislash has more advantages in general. Spiritomb is fine and all, but I literally did pick it just because of the typing.

Gourgeist: Grass is a good counter to Chandelure's weaknesses.
---
PSN: Ranylyn. 3DS FC: 3883-5283-2067 Pokemon X Safari: Kakuna, Venomoth, Croagunk
(Recent restart, Croagunk not available atm)
1 year ago#48
Ghost. Very few are super weak to anything but ghost and dark.
1 year ago#49
RatheV posted...
Hi!

I'm the MGM League's Ice-Type Gym Leader. My team varies depending on the format, but for Smogon OU Monotype, here's what I run:

Thanks, (Abomasnow) @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 28 Atk / 252 SAtk / 228 HP
Quiet Nature
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Ice Shard

Cold Bacon (Mamoswine) @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

Ice-9 (Froslass) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 Spd / 248 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Shadow Ball
- Destiny Bond

MyHeartWillGoOn (Avalugg) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk
Relaxed Nature
- Avalanche
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Larpas (Lapras) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 8 SAtk / 248 SDef
Calm Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Thunderbolt
- Surf
- Toxic

Frostitute (Jynx) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 248 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock
- Heal Bell
- Trick

Not really good at explaining things, so if you're curious about why I'm using what i use, just ask!

For the record, I was picked to be the water-type user for a campus monotype tournament, but switched with one of my friends to become Ice type.

Is your abomasnows nickname a adventure time reference by any chance?
---
3Ds FC: 4511-0641-6884
1 year ago#50
I use Ghost for two reasons.

One: because I wanted to be different and I thought no one else used Ghost types. I thought that because there are so few Ghost types. But Ghost type trainers are more rampant than, uhh, Ice, Grass, Electric, Dragon, or Ground (from what I've seen).

Two: because I wanted to build a team around Cofagrigus' Toxic Spikes. At first, I wanted it to be a Hex team with Sableye, or someone, using Gravity. Then I realized that that's a horrible strategy but I didn't want to give up on my Ghost team so I kept adapting until I've got what I have now: only two Hex users in Cofagrigus and Jellicent, a SR setting Golurk for those pesky Bug/Fire/Flying teams, two special sweepers, and an annoying Sableye.

Dark and, surprisingly, Normal type teams have proved to be the toughest challenge. Hopefully I grow enough as a trainer to not be as troubled by them as I am now.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_WghcsMcxA
3DS FC: 3866 - 8777 - 8603; Boldore, Corsola, Rhydon
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. ATTN: Mono-Type Team Trainers

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived