This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How can Pokemon Centers afford to stay open?

#41Mr_PopelPosted 2/18/2014 9:48:13 AM
Taxes ... the ingame char is still a child but i'm sure all the adults in the game pay taxes to fund pokecenters ...and they have a pokemart attached to each center so they probably get some income here too.
---
Hey i'm not camping ... i'm "tactically waiting" :-D
3DS friend Code: 5413 - 0087 - 2782
#42Tsukasa1891Posted 2/18/2014 9:50:06 AM
CharizardFire posted...
How can Pokemon Centers afford to stay open?

They serve who knows how many trainers every day but don't charge them a dime. In addition to that, in the anime they also serve as restaurants/Inns for travelling trainers.

My theory: the nurses provide a different kind of service at night - one that isn't free.

i was going to say that.
---
3DS 2165-5497-5235
#43antiheroforhirePosted 2/18/2014 9:50:57 AM
I think marts are the better question.

I walked into one and bought a few ultra balls, and then turned around and sold balm mushrooms for $900000.

HOW DO THEY MAKE ANY PROFIT DOING THAT.
---
SSF4:AE Mains: Seth, Guile, Blanka.
PSN: antiheroforhire.
#44Tsukasa1891Posted 2/18/2014 9:59:58 AM
antiheroforhire posted...
I think marts are the better question.

I walked into one and bought a few ultra balls, and then turned around and sold balm mushrooms for $900000.

HOW DO THEY MAKE ANY PROFIT DOING THAT.

they sell them to the restaurants that give then to you for twice the price.
---
3DS 2165-5497-5235
#45shiningpikablu252Posted 2/18/2014 10:14:46 AM
Miggi3Fr3sh posted...
This is why we only ever see one parent... The other one is the bread winner. They are out earning my insurance money and paying for our house.

Quite interesting how the only two player character fathers in the main series that aren't enigmatic mysteries actually have/had important jobs. Norman, the father of the Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald player character, is a gym leader. Michael's father in XD: Gale of Darkness founded the HQ Lab and undoubtedly was a key figure in its operation prior to his death (and his widow's no slouch at research work either)...
---
I am a die hard Pokemon fan to the most, including the traditional hate of Yu-Gi-Oh.
#46CountPopeulaPosted 2/18/2014 11:40:57 AM
I'll attempt to give a serious answer as to why they operate the way they do.

Wild pokemon don't drop money when you beat them. So it's almost impossible to grind for cash in Gen 1, especially early on. So the inns were made free.

It's an RPG.
---
I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. - Voltaire
#47Impurity_Posted 2/19/2014 12:43:36 PM
Impurity_ posted...
"...there is no reason in the world why the Pokemon is not entitled to all the natural rights enumerated in the Declaration of Pokemon Independence, the right of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. I hold that he is as much entitled to these as the trainer. I agree with Judge Pikachu he is not my equal in many respects--certainly not in species...but in his right to eat the bread, without the leave of anyone else, which his own hand earns, he is my equal and the equal of Judge Pikachu, and the equal of every living trainer."

Free the Pokemon from bondage under this evil capitalist system!

No one supports the abolition of Pokemon slavery...? :/
---
Banned Gamefaqs Accounts: NoName, No_Name, No___Name, No_____Name
#48alex1_2_3_4_5Posted 2/19/2014 12:47:43 PM
Considering how often this question is asked, I wonder how surprised people when they come to Canada.
---
Black 2 FC: 0605 5786 7352
Y FC: 3840 6857 4555
#49fawful_XPosted 2/19/2014 1:52:13 PM
Impurity_ posted...
Impurity_ posted...
"...there is no reason in the world why the Pokemon is not entitled to all the natural rights enumerated in the Declaration of Pokemon Independence, the right of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. I hold that he is as much entitled to these as the trainer. I agree with Judge Pikachu he is not my equal in many respects--certainly not in species...but in his right to eat the bread, without the leave of anyone else, which his own hand earns, he is my equal and the equal of Judge Pikachu, and the equal of every living trainer."

Free the Pokemon from bondage under this evil capitalist system!

No one supports the abolition of Pokemon slavery...? :/

Really, you Plasma fellows are a bunch of hypocrites.
---
Current Nuzlocke: White: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/2000300-pokemon-emerald-social/68609453
YOU DON'T AFFECT ME. THE TRASHY STROLLING IS AN EYESORE.
#50zhellybellyPosted 2/19/2014 2:09:15 PM
I like threads such as these. They greatly improve the idea behind the prejudiced assumption of the American "What are other countries?"

Government pays for Pokémon Centers. Pokémon Centers earn a little extra bit from PokéMart sales. General healing is free (PokéCenter). Medicine you pay for (PokéMart). It's like this many places in the world. :-)

And of course they can afford to stay open because those trainers with 50 Balm Mushrooms to sell are a very little minority.
---
If a tree falls in the woods, and no one hears it, does a hipster buy its album?