This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Chespin = Best Starter?

#1JarickoPosted 2/17/2014 6:55:21 AM
Now let me clarify. Yes Froakie as far as meta gaming goes with its hidden ability is way better then the chespin line and possibly better then every other starter in the game as well for the meta, BUT I think as a actual starter ( You pick it at the start and play threw the game with that first pokemon ) it might actually be the best starter ever.

Chespin at the start of the game has its grass stab going for it, briefly kinda meh but then you immediately get roll out. Which kinda kills everything that your grass stab can not at the beginning. Then you get that useful fighting stab later. Just started another game and i cleared the first gym, sitting at level 17 just because i have not needed to use anything else.

Now I thought bulbasaur was pretty good gen 1. I thought Cyndaquil was pretty cool too in gen 2 and torchic is eventually amazing when it evolves... none of them were this good.

Anyone else agree?
---
" Don't curse the darkness--light a candle! When freaky aliens give you lemons, make freaky alien lemonade. "
#2porygon_z_129Posted 2/17/2014 6:57:31 AM
Jaricko posted...
Now let me clarify. Yes Froakie as far as meta gaming goes with its hidden ability is way better then the chespin line and possibly better then every other starter in the game as well for the meta, BUT I think as a actual starter ( You pick it at the start and play threw the game with that first pokemon ) it might actually be the best starter ever.

Chespin at the start of the game has its grass stab going for it, briefly kinda meh but then you immediately get roll out. Which kinda kills everything that your grass stab can not at the beginning. Then you get that useful fighting stab later. Just started another game and i cleared the first gym, sitting at level 17 just because i have not needed to use anything else.

Now I thought bulbasaur was pretty good gen 1. I thought Cyndaquil was pretty cool too in gen 2 and torchic is eventually amazing when it evolves... none of them were this good.

Anyone else agree?

TC,I can only suggest that its your own opinion.Maybe others do,but be ready for rage comments.
---
Pokemon Y Player! FC | IGN: 3539-9813-2428 | James
Small List:http://tinyurl.com/krzopl5
#3LexifoxPosted 2/17/2014 6:58:10 AM
For ingame, Fennekin outclasses Chespin in X/Y, so it can't be the "best" starter.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#4DarththeoPosted 2/17/2014 6:58:19 AM
Chespin isn't the best starter in Kalos let alone the entire series.
---
3DSXL Friend Code: 0447-6312-5946 - Krabby, Quagsire, Azumarril
3DS Friend Code: 2836-1220-6634 - Sunkern, Ivysaur, Maractus
#5DemiseEndPosted 2/17/2014 6:59:49 AM
Chespin is bad vs fairy

That, and it can't claim being best starter when its not even as broken as Gen 1 Squirtle(solid early game, get overpowered stuff late game), Gen 2 Totodile(favorable match up all game, coverage to kill everything), Sapphire Blaziken(catch Kyogre to beat Drake, snowball), Chimchar, or even..... gen 6 Bulbasaur from this gen
---
Real Metal bounces their breast. Deal with it
3ds fc:3823-9549-3094
#6Shadow_Master_JPosted 2/17/2014 7:07:42 AM
Chespin and evos lose to a lot of important late-game trainers in the game (Olympia, Lysandre, Wulfric, all Elite Four members, bar Siebold), besides being slow and taking special hits like Rhydon would. Also faces competition on Mega Venusaur on a Grass tank, and Conkeldurr as a bulky fighter. It doesn't help that this is the easiest pokemon game ever, as they literally give you a Game Breaker item (Exp Share) early in the game.

Delphox and Greninja face less competition from in-game pokes.
---
If you're reading this, CONGRATULATIONS!! You're wasting your time!!
#7Jaricko(Topic Creator)Posted 2/17/2014 7:12:01 AM
DemiseEnd posted...
Chespin is bad vs fairy

That, and it can't claim being best starter when its not even as broken as Gen 1 Squirtle(solid early game, get overpowered stuff late game), Gen 2 Totodile(favorable match up all game, coverage to kill everything), Sapphire Blaziken(catch Kyogre to beat Drake, snowball), Chimchar, or even..... gen 6 Bulbasaur from this gen

Totodile was always my favorite in gen 2. So good. Although its stab i believe was lacking in gen 2 and in gen 4 does not get a good stab until 40 something ( your usually 40 something when you get waterfall )

Chespin has a pretty lacking move pool if your just judging the moves for what they are. Yes roll out is a terrible move... usually. At the very start of the game it crushes your flying and bug weaknesses easily. Fairy types really are not an issue in story mode until later ( and i have to hammer it in again, only judging them for their name sake. Starting in the game with this pokemon. In the meta Greninja ( Greninja is mostly opinion as some would say blaziken is better ), blaziken, infernape, venusaur ect are all miles above it but that is not where I am judging it. )

I used bulbasaur as a comparison example for a reason. In gen 1 it was super effective all the way up to gym 4 and the poison typing meant it wasnt really countered by the 4th gym either. And it only really had issues on blain and sabrina ( lets face it, most pokemon had issues on sabrina in gen 1 so thats not really saying anything as a weakness there ).

Now typically you want more pokemon to round out the starter, but in overall usefulness i think chespin has the others beat for the story. And this is not a declaration. Its belief which i wanted to discuss.
---
" Don't curse the darkness--light a candle! When freaky aliens give you lemons, make freaky alien lemonade. "
#8Jaricko(Topic Creator)Posted 2/17/2014 7:17:09 AM
Quick note - Bulbasaur is not super effective on gym 3. Not sure why i said it is. Its only defensively good on it.
---
#9porygon_z_129Posted 2/17/2014 7:17:47 AM
Jaricko posted...
DemiseEnd posted...
Chespin is bad vs fairy

Totodile was always my favorite in gen 2. So good. Although its stab i believe was lacking in gen 2 and in gen 4 does not get a good stab until 40 something ( your usually 40 something when you get waterfall )

Chespin has a pretty lacking move pool if your just judging the moves for what they are. Yes roll out is a terrible move... usually. At the very start of the game it crushes your flying and bug weaknesses easily. Fairy types really are not an issue in story mode until later ( and i have to hammer it in again, only judging them for their name sake. Starting in the game with this pokemon. In the meta Greninja ( Greninja is mostly opinion as some would say blaziken is better ), blaziken, infernape, venusaur ect are all miles above it but that is not where I am judging it. )

I used bulbasaur as a comparison example for a reason. In gen 1 it was super effective all the way up to gym 4 and the poison typing meant it wasnt really countered by the 4th gym either. And it only really had issues on blain and sabrina ( lets face it, most pokemon had issues on sabrina in gen 1 so thats not really saying anything as a weakness there ).

Now typically you want more pokemon to round out the starter, but in overall usefulness i think chespin has the others beat for the story. And this is not a declaration. Its belief which i wanted to discuss.

TC,you are pretty much claiming something very trivial in the Pokemon franchise.
You also can't just base it in-game.Crowning something as the best has several factors.
---
Pokemon Y Player! FC | IGN: 3539-9813-2428 | James
Small List:http://tinyurl.com/krzopl5
#10Jaricko(Topic Creator)Posted 2/17/2014 7:34:43 AM
That is why i clarified immediately. Best as a starter. If you bring in all the factors then its impossible to pick one. Most of the fans tend to favorite charizard because of its looks, and we all know charizard competitively is not that amazing, and as a starter charmander has probably one of the least impressive move pools of the starters.

I think everyone could probably pick chikorita easily as the worst for basically all the categories almost but best is a little trickier if your factoring everything.

Like my Greninja pick for example as best meta pokemon. Sure blaziken is commonly considered better but blaziken is mostly just a sweeper. It comes in once its counters are taken care of and if its successful in its job it will clean up the game. Greninja can do all sorts of stuff and it can find a place it almost any team. Its just my opinion that its the best starter for the meta but that does not make it so. Again this is a topic about discussing the best starter as a starter. Do not read to much into the title alone.
---