This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Chespin = Best Starter?

#21Jaricko(Topic Creator)Posted 2/17/2014 8:16:19 AM
PPPPLAASSUMA posted...
IMO Froakie is best simply because of speed and learning some ice moves.

*shrugs* So what if it's weak to fairy? In game there are hardly any fairies anyway, most of them are wimps, and froakie ouspeeds just about everything as well.

I feel that on paper fennekin looks best but greninja works out better in practice. IMO greninja is the best design too.

But thats just me.

Reason i have yet to talk about fennekin. I really don't think its anything stellar. In any category. Although i am also not into furry stuff so that might be why i do not care for its appearance either.

Greninja is amazing. I will not deny that. Although mentioning ice is kinda silly. Its a water type. There are very few water types that do not have ice coverage. Its the flying, bug, dark and psychic coverages that are a little more amazing as a water type. Sadly its physical attack is poor so no real way to make good use of u-turn or acrobatics in the story mode. Typically Greninja gets really good just before the elite 4 but its never really bad either.
---
" Don't curse the darkness--light a candle! When freaky aliens give you lemons, make freaky alien lemonade. "
#22Mage_LordPosted 2/17/2014 8:16:32 AM
Jaricko posted...
Mage_Lord posted...
Jaricko posted...
Ansem_the_evil posted...
Not as broke as totodile in gen 2 I always soloed gold with only feraigtr back in the day with no problems at all

Totodile wasnt actually that good in gen 2 though. Water type moves were all special based, including waterfall. Waterfall wasn't physical until gen 3. This means Feraligatr had no stab that made use of its higher attack stat. And this is still a problem in gen 4's remake of gen 2 because waterfall isnt obtained until way later in the game.

Waterfall did not become physical until Gen 4.

Really? I thought the physical / special split was in gen 3 for the moves. Maybe i am getting the special split mixed up with it in my head. Either way though. Totodile did not have a good physical stab in gen 2.

No, the special split was Gen 2. Physical/Special was Gen 4.

Also, even with 79 Sp. Atk Feralgatr rips GSC a new one. The combination of high-powered stab/coverage moves (Surf and Ice Punch) offsets his bad special attack.
---
Paildramon for Smash Bros. 5!
People who agree: 1
#23Jaricko(Topic Creator)Posted 2/17/2014 8:25:59 AM
Mage_Lord posted...
Jaricko posted...
Mage_Lord posted...
Jaricko posted...
Ansem_the_evil posted...
Not as broke as totodile in gen 2 I always soloed gold with only feraigtr back in the day with no problems at all

Totodile wasnt actually that good in gen 2 though. Water type moves were all special based, including waterfall. Waterfall wasn't physical until gen 3. This means Feraligatr had no stab that made use of its higher attack stat. And this is still a problem in gen 4's remake of gen 2 because waterfall isnt obtained until way later in the game.

Waterfall did not become physical until Gen 4.

Really? I thought the physical / special split was in gen 3 for the moves. Maybe i am getting the special split mixed up with it in my head. Either way though. Totodile did not have a good physical stab in gen 2.

No, the special split was Gen 2. Physical/Special was Gen 4.

Also, even with 79 Sp. Atk Feralgatr rips GSC a new one. The combination of high-powered stab/coverage moves (Surf and Ice Punch) offsets his bad special attack.

Better then Typlosion though? It had thunder punch. In gen 2 thunder punch was special based and not physical yet. This means Typlosion could potentially have fire, grass and electric reasonably in its move pool.
---
" Don't curse the darkness--light a candle! When freaky aliens give you lemons, make freaky alien lemonade. "
#24Mage_LordPosted 2/17/2014 8:41:05 AM
Jaricko posted...
Better then Typlosion though? It had thunder punch. In gen 2 thunder punch was special based and not physical yet. This means Typlosion could potentially have fire, grass and electric reasonably in its move pool.

Yes, even better than Ty.

Typhlosion's start is great, but the issue is that it's mid-game is lacking. He's stuck with ember for a long time, and that's only 40 BP. Flame Wheel doesn't come until the 30s and that's pretty late for Johto. Typhlosion is the only one who can learn Thunder Punch in that line, and he doesn't even exist until you reach level 36.

Meanwhile, Totodile has access to Ice Punch/Surf before the 4th gym and reaches it's final form by level 30. That's huge, Totodile really is the starter king for Gen 2.
---
Paildramon for Smash Bros. 5!
People who agree: 1
#25Jaricko(Topic Creator)Posted 2/17/2014 8:46:04 AM
Mage_Lord posted...
Jaricko posted...

Yes, even better than Ty.

Typhlosion's start is great, but the issue is that it's mid-game is lacking. He's stuck with ember for a long time, and that's only 40 BP. Flame Wheel doesn't come until the 30s and that's pretty late for Johto. Typhlosion is the only one who can learn Thunder Punch in that line, and he doesn't even exist until you reach level 36.

Meanwhile, Totodile has access to Ice Punch/Surf before the 4th gym and reaches it's final form by level 30. That's huge, Totodile really is the starter king for Gen 2.

Meanwhile Chikorita just cries. Totodile is definitely good. Its my choice 8 / 10. Occasionally ill pick chikorita for the added challenge. And if you look beyond starters to alternatives, Cyndaquil is replaced by Vulpix pretty easily. Still though comparing just the 3 i have to give it to Cyndaquil personally even if its not my choice.
---