This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I wish they had gone a different route with starter Pokemon.

#1AirBorneCoffeeTPosted 2/17/2014 9:21:49 AM
(68/80)

By choosing the same three types every gen they limited themselves creativly and forced themselves to make Pokemon that will have a more or less redundant function. (Grass Pokemon with Starter-esque stats, take seven!)

So I wish every gen would have had starters with a different base type, even if that meant they didn't make a great rock/paper/scissors triangle. We would've even have gotten to a point in time where we had starters of every type.

Then, this last wish is an unlikely one, but it would have been cool if every gen you could choose from any of the currently existing starter type Pokemon. So, in Gen VI, you could have chosen one of 18 starter Pokemon, each with a different base type. How awesome would that have been?
---
"What are you waiting for, Mr. Howel? Start talking into a fish!"
-The Skipper (Early B & W episode of Gilligan's Island)
#2AirBorneCoffeeT(Topic Creator)Posted 2/17/2014 12:39:33 PM
No comments at all?
---
"What are you waiting for, Mr. Howel? Start talking into a fish!"
-The Skipper (Early B & W episode of Gilligan's Island)
#3YourLuckPosted 2/17/2014 12:42:58 PM
AirBorneCoffeeT posted...
(68/80)

By choosing the same three types every gen they limited themselves creativly and forced themselves to make Pokemon that will have a more or less redundant function. (Grass Pokemon with Starter-esque stats, take seven!)

So I wish every gen would have had starters with a different base type, even if that meant they didn't make a great rock/paper/scissors triangle. We would've even have gotten to a point in time where we had starters of every type.

Then, this last wish is an unlikely one, but it would have been cool if every gen you could choose from any of the currently existing starter type Pokemon. So, in Gen VI, you could have chosen one of 18 starter Pokemon, each with a different base type. How awesome would that have been?

If it's not 80/80, just don't bother.

It's only still G/W/F because they're the easiest triangle to remember for younger kids, which is still the target demographic.
---
A familiar note is produced.
It's the note Desolation plays to keep its instrument in tune
#4wind64aPosted 2/17/2014 12:45:01 PM
The purpose of starters is to help people new to Pokémon understand how type matchups work. If they didn't go with a rock, paper, scissors triangle it wouldn't work well for that. Fire, Water, and Grass is used because it is also easy to understand when compared with many other type matchups. Going with just any type wouldn't really make sense.
---
Official Fairy-Type Gym Leader of GFAQS MGM PokeLeague Riley's Boyfriend on the Pokemon BW2 & X boards. 3DS FC: 3050 8148 9673
#5Sloth9230Posted 2/17/2014 12:45:30 PM
No comments at all?

You're like to 100th person to suggest this, stop trying to mess with what works.
---
FC: 0189 - 9442 - 1365 IGN: Nero
#6AnnfanPosted 2/17/2014 12:47:42 PM
YourLuck posted...
(68/80)

If it's not 80/80, just don't bother.

It's only still G/W/F because they're the easiest triangle to remember for younger kids, which is still the target demographic.

80/80 is equally as pointless to bother with.
---
3DS FC: 3136-7659-4863
#7Inferno4501Posted 2/17/2014 12:48:04 PM
I agree. There should be a new type triangle like Psychic, Dark, and fighting.
---
Never underestimate the stupidity of a man. 3DS Friend Code: 2492-5028-5347
#8BlitzTHedgehogPosted 2/17/2014 12:48:31 PM
YourLuck posted...
Even if it's 80/80, just don't bother.

Fixed that for ya.

TC, while I think it'd be cool for them to change the starter formula, it isn't a great idea for bringing in new players, which is always a priority. Think about it, the Grass > Water > Fire triangle is very easy to understand, and is a great way to get new players to understand the concept of strengths and weaknesses amongst the types.
---
FC 4725-8215-0096
#9viewtifullink99Posted 2/17/2014 12:52:06 PM
Yeah, dark, rock, and normal type starters for 2015
---
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 0275 7830 8036
Pokemon in Safari: Dunsparce, Audino, Eevee
#10omega bahumatPosted 2/17/2014 1:38:12 PM
Personally I think Steel>Fairy>Fighting would be better