This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Help me improve my battling skills/RMT

#1MahoganyTooth92Posted 2/17/2014 9:04:13 AM(edited)
So, yesterday, I played my first ever online battle against someone who wasn't one of my terribad friends/using a terrible ingame team...and I won! I'd like the board to try and help me improve at this, because I felt like I made quite a few mistakes...

EBJG-WWWW-WWW5-KGKJ

My current team is:

Sableye@Lum Berry (I need to get leftovers, Lum Berry is a placeholder)
Prankster
Impish
Will-O-Wisp
Taunt
Foul Play
Recover

Vaporeon@Leftovers
Water Absorb
Bold
Scald
Ice Beam
Toxic
Wish

Gardevoir@Gardevoirite
Trace
Modest
Energy Ball
Psychic
Shadow Ball
Dazzling Gleam

Goodra@Binding Band
Hydration
Impish
Rain Dance
Toxic
Infestation
Rest

Sylveon@Choice Specs
Pixilate
Timid (Would modest be better?)
Wish
Hyper Voice
Toxic
Shadow Ball

Espeon@Light Clay
Magic Bounce
Timid
Psychic
Light Screen
Baton Pass (Placeholder)
Reflect

Sylveon's main role is just to spam hyper voice. I've also noticed there is a severe lack of physical attackers, and was thinking I would swap my Gardevoir with my Arcanine, but that would leave me without a mega. Anyone on the board could give me advice or improvements?

Also, I'd like to avoid my team being cookie-cutter, so I don't want to add stuff like Rotom-W or Greninja. I also only plan to play doubles.
---
"I'm amazed TC is still posting. It's not your everyday run of the mill stupidity. This is advanced stupidity." -nickizgr8
3DS FC: 2234-8306-6237
#2MahoganyTooth92(Topic Creator)Posted 2/17/2014 9:25:13 AM
Plz halp ):
---
"I'm amazed TC is still posting. It's not your everyday run of the mill stupidity. This is advanced stupidity." -nickizgr8
#3EtherPhoenixPosted 2/17/2014 10:24:48 AM
If you are set on having a Mega, then Medicham could work for you. Not sure if it will mess up your type synergies though with the added Fighting type...
---
Safari: Ice - Sneasel, Spheal, Cloyster FC: 0061-1330-2166
Official Breloom of the Pokemon X boards
#4TropiOUsPosted 2/17/2014 10:25:27 AM
This should be obvious but doing it anyway:
DONT ASK FOR HELP IN GAMEFAQS.
90% of the players here are beyond terrible.
---
Yes, I'm that guy from Smogon. 80% of my posts are troll posts. I HATE DRUDDIGON
#5doctorq12Posted 2/17/2014 10:30:57 AM
MahoganyTooth92 posted...
So, yesterday, I played my first ever online battle against someone who wasn't one of my terribad friends/using a terrible ingame team...and I won! I'd like the board to try and help me improve at this, because I felt like I made quite a few mistakes...

EBJG-WWWW-WWW5-KGKJ

My current team is:

Sableye@Lum Berry (I need to get leftovers, Lum Berry is a placeholder)
Prankster
Impish
Will-O-Wisp
Taunt
Foul Play
Recover

Vaporeon@Leftovers
Water Absorb
Bold
Scald
Ice Beam
Toxic
Wish

Gardevoir@Gardevoirite
Trace
Modest
Energy Ball
Psychic
Shadow Ball
Dazzling Gleam

Goodra@Binding Band
Hydration
Impish
Rain Dance
Toxic
Infestation
Rest

Sylveon@Choice Specs
Pixilate
Timid (Would modest be better?)
Wish
Hyper Voice
Toxic
Shadow Ball

Espeon@Light Clay
Magic Bounce
Timid
Psychic
Light Screen
Baton Pass (Placeholder)
Reflect

Sylveon's main role is just to spam hyper voice. I've also noticed there is a severe lack of physical attackers, and was thinking I would swap my Gardevoir with my Arcanine, but that would leave me without a mega. Anyone on the board could give me advice or improvements?

Also, I'd like to avoid my team being cookie-cutter, so I don't want to add stuff like Rotom-W or Greninja. I also only plan to play doubles.

Having EV layouts would help me a bit better, but I use Vaporeon with Scald, Wish, Protect, Acid Armor.

Sylveon I've found is more suited as a special wall, so I'd probably run a more defensive nature, but between timid and modest I'd stick with modest.

I love Arcanine as a physical attacker.
Mine runs
Jolly
Life Orb
-Wild Charge
-E Speed
-Flare Blitz
-Close Combat

I also love Slaking as a physical attacker, but he can be tricky to use due to truant so you need to be able to predict moves really well.

I would take out either Gardevoir or Sylveon I don't think it matters that much and I'd use a physical attacker
---
FC: 1461 6345 4020
IGN: Alex
#6MahoganyTooth92(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2014 3:05:02 AM
doctorq12 posted...
Having EV layouts would help me a bit better, but I use Vaporeon with Scald, Wish, Protect, Acid Armor.

Sylveon I've found is more suited as a special wall, so I'd probably run a more defensive nature, but between timid and modest I'd stick with modest.

I love Arcanine as a physical attacker.
Mine runs
Jolly
Life Orb
-Wild Charge
-E Speed
-Flare Blitz
-Close Combat

I also love Slaking as a physical attacker, but he can be tricky to use due to truant so you need to be able to predict moves really well.

I would take out either Gardevoir or Sylveon I don't think it matters that much and I'd use a physical attacker

I'll take out Gardevoir and replace it with Arcanine then. It's a shame, too, because I had one like yours only lacking CC and now I find out I have to breed it on ):

I'll also have to magic up a modest Eevee with Hyper Voice then. But that's not nearly as hard. I don't know what I was thinking when I went timid, 65 base speed ain't gonna outspeed anything that matters.

Pixilate Hyper Voice is crazy good though. Sylveon is a great attacker with just that move.
---
#7HydregionzekPosted 2/19/2014 3:17:41 AM
I believe your Goodra should have Bold nature. This will not hinder its infestations, and will help it survive more foul plays.
---
Founder of Official Gamefaqs Pokemon Club. ID #00000
Pokemon Y, IGN Caesar. Fc:3024-5514-8113. Normal Safari: Eevee, Dunsparce, Mincinno
#8gkathellarPosted 2/19/2014 4:30:35 AM
Let's go piece by piece.

Sableye is fine, but yes, you need Leftovers. A well-used Sableye can shut down whole teams.

Vaporeon is also fine, although you might consider running protect, since it amplifies the usefulness of Leftovers. Vaporeon is a fine companion for Sableye, with burns rounding out its impressive special bulk, but remember - you can't burn and poison. Vaporeon should be the survivor who can clean up after Sableye.

Skipping forward a bit, though, I notice that Water Absorb isn't getting much use. I'd use it as a chance to squeeze in something that normally struggles with Water and Ice moves, and can shore up existing weaknesses. Excadrill, Landorus and Gliscor (pivot version) all spring to mind.

Your problems start with Gardevoir. It's not fast or bulky enough to be Modest - Timid is much better. Psyshock is by far the better option for psychic STAB. Energy Ball nets you nothing in coverage. And you should NEVER use Megavoir without Hyper Voice.

Goodra just seems confusing. Toxic? Infestation? Goodra is a beastly special or mixed attacker with a gigantic move pool, so this is just bizarre. It doesn't have the Defense to play the role you want it in, not even with Impish. You've also now used 2/24 move slots on Toxic - on a team with a Prankster, that is definitely too many. And it's a second Fairy weakness on a team with no resists.

Sylveon is problematic as well. It generally falls somewhere between "bulky, slow Gardevoir," and, "fairy-type, hard-hitting Vaporeon. It shouldn't be on a team with both. It shouldn't be running Timid (it's way too slow). You don't need two wish-passers (neither of which have Heal Bell for the team or Protect for themselves). It shouldn't run Toxic - Sylveon is a f****** cannon! If you can waste a slot on that, you should be making s*** go BOOM - and it certainly shouldn't if a third of your team is already. And having double fairy-type weaknesses doesn't help either.

There's no particular problem with Espeon (HP Fire or Shadow Ball for its fourth move), but it also demonstrates your two biggest issues. First - almost every member of this team is physically frail. Sableye's burns won't alleviate that if everything is poisoned, and Reflect is of limited value on a stall team like this that often thrives on staying in and out-surviving the opponent. Second - your coverage is pretty awful, and your typing is pretty homogenous.
---
Parents, talk to your children about GameFAQs before it's too late.
3DS FC: 1435-4122-7835 / Pokemon Y IGN: Alexandra / FS: Throh, Machoke, Breloom
#9MahoganyTooth92(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2014 4:40:25 AM
gkathellar posted...
Let's go piece by piece.

Sableye is fine, but yes, you need Leftovers. A well-used Sableye can shut down whole teams.

Vaporeon is also fine, although you might consider running protect, since it amplifies the usefulness of Leftovers. Vaporeon is a fine companion for Sableye, with burns rounding out its impressive special bulk, but remember - you can't burn and poison. Vaporeon should be the survivor who can clean up after Sableye.

Skipping forward a bit, though, I notice that Water Absorb isn't getting much use. I'd use it as a chance to squeeze in something that normally struggles with Water and Ice moves, and can shore up existing weaknesses. Excadrill, Landorus and Gliscor (pivot version) all spring to mind.

Your problems start with Gardevoir. It's not fast or bulky enough to be Modest - Timid is much better. Psyshock is by far the better option for psychic STAB. Energy Ball nets you nothing in coverage. And you should NEVER use Megavoir without Hyper Voice.

Goodra just seems confusing. Toxic? Infestation? Goodra is a beastly special or mixed attacker with a gigantic move pool, so this is just bizarre. It doesn't have the Defense to play the role you want it in, not even with Impish. You've also now used 2/24 move slots on Toxic - on a team with a Prankster, that is definitely too many. And it's a second Fairy weakness on a team with no resists.

Sylveon is problematic as well. It generally falls somewhere between "bulky, slow Gardevoir," and, "fairy-type, hard-hitting Vaporeon. It shouldn't be on a team with both. It shouldn't be running Timid (it's way too slow). You don't need two wish-passers (neither of which have Heal Bell for the team or Protect for themselves). It shouldn't run Toxic - Sylveon is a f****** cannon! If you can waste a slot on that, you should be making s*** go BOOM - and it certainly shouldn't if a third of your team is already. And having double fairy-type weaknesses doesn't help either.

There's no particular problem with Espeon (HP Fire or Shadow Ball for its fourth move), but it also demonstrates your two biggest issues. First - almost every member of this team is physically frail. Sableye's burns won't alleviate that if everything is poisoned, and Reflect is of limited value on a stall team like this that often thrives on staying in and out-surviving the opponent. Second - your coverage is pretty awful, and your typing is pretty homogenous.

Goodra's set is massively amazing if the other side has nothing that can shut it down immediately. Rain Dance+Hydration+Rest= Instant Full Heal. It can destroy anything that can't take it down fast and Rain Dance I found to Synergize great with Vaporeon. Once I play a few more matches I'll see whether Goodra preforms up to an acceptable level.

I'm getting rid of Gardevoir for the Arcanine mentioned earlier in this thread.

I've gotten a new Hyper Voice Eevee, and this one is Modest. It also has heal bell if that becomes necessary. The rest of Sylveons movepool I felt was quite irrelevant as the only thing I was planning to do anyways was spam Pixilate HV with specs. What item should I swap in order to be able to use Heal Bell on-demand?

A good few of the moves in these sets I wasn't sure about, so thanks loads for your input. I'll get rid of the toxics.

I really appreciate your input and will get to work on fixing these issues immediately. As for the leftovers, I hear the way to get more is to have a team of level 91+ pickup users and fight a few battles, right?
---
#10Ace81892Posted 2/19/2014 4:43:35 AM
I find your lack of physical attackers disturbing.

TropiOUs posted...
This should be obvious but doing it anyway:
DONT ASK FOR HELP IN GAMEFAQS.
90% of the players here are beyond terrible.

And this was entirely unnecessary. Things like this are why people think that Smogon is elitist. Reported for flaming.
---
2DS FC: 3540-0246-0507
Official Gamefaqs Pokemon Club ID #00002