This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Got back into this, so lost. Little help?

#1DarkTelepathPosted 2/25/2014 10:56:29 AM
As above.

Following the whole Twitch Plays Pokemon has gotten be interested in Pokemon again, after a dozen years or so. Which means the last one I played was Gold. So I'm a little overwhelmed with all the stuff that's been changed. Like reusable TMs, natures, and the new Fairy type.

This isn't going to be a "What's the best pokemon" or whatever, because that seems to be a very deep rabbit hole. I just want to get through the base game for now. But I have no idea what pokemon are even usable.

All I have that seems to be good is the water starter, Charmander, and I got an Old Amber for Aerodactyl. Rounding out the team for now is Pikachu, who is kind of useful for now. But the new ones I have are pretty bad. I have a Honedge, which seems awesome, but is actually pretty weak and useless. And a Ralts, which is Psychic, so it should be good, but can't take a hit and can't dish out any good damage.

Currently I just beat the second gym and I got to route 10 (and I can get eevees now, which is awesome), so what are some good/useful pokemon that I should be looking for?

Thanks!
---
"I have an idea. It starts with 's' and ends with 'litting their throats.'"
~Belkar from The Order of the Stick
#2FroakieblokePosted 2/25/2014 11:00:22 AM
I didn't realise how many people were persuaded to play the games again by Twitch...

Anything works in game really, but something I would recommend picking up are the Nidorans on route 11.

May I ask what your favourite pokemon is, because I might be able to get you one, provided you don't already have it.
---
"Mon Dieu!" - Hercule Poirot
Need help getting any Pokemon, item and whatnot? Try the Gogoat Express on the Trade Board! They're very helpful :)
#3Mr_PopelPosted 2/25/2014 11:08:02 AM
How dare you insult my precious Junior-Guardevoir as useless.
---
Hey i'm not camping ... i'm "tactically waiting" :-D
3DS friend Code: 5413 - 0087 - 2782
#4EnferolunosPosted 2/25/2014 11:17:48 AM
Pokemon aren't going to be very good until you evolve them, keep that in mind. Just play with whatever pokemon you want and have fun with it. If you don't like a pokemon, don't use it, but try to figure out for yourself what pokemon you like.
---
Currently awaiting: Lunar Knights 2, LR:FFXIII, X, LoZ U, FFXV, KHIII
Don't start unbelieving! Never do not feel your feelings!
#5Insanylum13Posted 2/25/2014 11:19:23 AM
Once you get the Mega Lucario it's GG to the AI.
---
"Guns don't kill people the government does" -Dale Gribble
#6JakeTheHumanPosted 2/25/2014 11:26:41 AM
D:
---
GFaqs official wooper in a tux. Its adventure time! :D
#7_AverageGamerPosted 2/25/2014 11:28:42 AM
DarkTelepath posted...
As above.

Following the whole Twitch Plays Pokemon has gotten be interested in Pokemon again, after a dozen years or so. Which means the last one I played was Gold. So I'm a little overwhelmed with all the stuff that's been changed. Like reusable TMs, natures, and the new Fairy type.

This isn't going to be a "What's the best pokemon" or whatever, because that seems to be a very deep rabbit hole. I just want to get through the base game for now. But I have no idea what pokemon are even usable.

All I have that seems to be good is the water starter, Charmander, and I got an Old Amber for Aerodactyl. Rounding out the team for now is Pikachu, who is kind of useful for now. But the new ones I have are pretty bad. I have a Honedge, which seems awesome, but is actually pretty weak and useless. And a Ralts, which is Psychic, so it should be good, but can't take a hit and can't dish out any good damage.

Currently I just beat the second gym and I got to route 10 (and I can get eevees now, which is awesome), so what are some good/useful pokemon that I should be looking for?

Thanks!

Welcome back to Pokemon, I hope you're having as much fun as you did when you were kid playing Gold. I know I am.

Anyway, just about every Pokemon is useable and with new Exp. Share and the way exp is distributed, leveling new Pokemon caught from the wild is easy and quick. So, feel free to experiment.

Honedge can eventually evolve into Aegislash, which is one of the best, non-legendary, Pokemon in the game. He may not look like a powerhouse, but he can change forms allowing him to change from an offensive and defensive stance.

Ralts sucks, but can evolve into much, much better forms. It just takes awhile to evolve your Ralts. Psychic got the short end of the stick this year. They have a lot of weaknesses towards other types and few advantages.

In Route 10, you can catch Hawlucha who is a Flying/Fighting type. He is pretty awesome. He get's a number of great moves in his early levels and can be useful for the entire adventure. If all else fails, you can turn him into your HM slave, but he's much better than that.
---
Pokemon 3DS Friend Safari: Munna, Espurr, Gothorita
0516 - 7268 - 6301 - Add me, then PM me your FC!
#8DarkTelepath(Topic Creator)Posted 2/25/2014 12:38:31 PM
Froakiebloke posted...
May I ask what your favourite pokemon is, because I might be able to get you one, provided you don't already have it.

I really liked Espeon and Houndoom. They were both new and had cool looks to them. And Dragonite, of course because I love dragons and anything to do with them.

I evolved Ralts into a Kirila, but it's still not too powerful. Or maybe Psychics aren't just as powerful as they used to be. I remember running the tables with a Psychic-type, so perhaps that's coloring my vision.
---
"I have an idea. It starts with 's' and ends with 'litting their throats.'"
~Belkar from The Order of the Stick
#9kirbydude385Posted 2/25/2014 12:42:46 PM
DarkTelepath posted...
Froakiebloke posted...

I really liked Espeon and Houndoom. They were both new and had cool looks to them. And Dragonite, of course because I love dragons and anything to do with them.

I evolved Ralts into a Kirila, but it's still not too powerful. Or maybe Psychics aren't just as powerful as they used to be. I remember running the tables with a Psychic-type, so perhaps that's coloring my vision.

Psychic has been heavily nerfed since it steamrolled in Gen 1 without a problem. Now it's rather low compared to other types.

But Kirlia evolves into one of two good Pokemon. At level 30 it becomes a Gardevoir which is rather tanky to Special hits and does good damage. If your Kirlia is male and you get a Dawn Stone, you can get a Gallade, which becomes Psychic/Fighting and focuses on physical attacks instead
---
Official Manectric and Creator of the B/W, BW2, and XY Boards Clan
5000-1900-5785 | IGN: Kairos | Trapinch, Camerupt, Palpitoad
#10FroakieblokePosted 2/25/2014 12:43:16 PM
DarkTelepath posted...
Froakiebloke posted...

If you have X, you can get Houndour on the same route as Eevee, but Dratini is only available later on. Do you want me to get you one quickly?
---
"Mon Dieu!" - Hercule Poirot
Need help getting any Pokemon, item and whatnot? Try the Gogoat Express on the Trade Board! They're very helpful :)