This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Has the current battle system now shifted from Special Atk to Reg Atk?

#1soleedgePosted 2/26/2014 10:34:46 AM
The shift from gen 5 to gen 6 has brought out less hyper offensive teams and more bulky based offensive pokes. Gen 6 also created a damage drop of some commonly used Special Attacking moves. That coupled with the bevy of new special walls (Florges, Goodra, Sylveon), the assault vest, and the buff to knock off, I feel like battling is now favoring the physical attackers more than special attackers. I believe in the January usage stats that smogon posts, I think 22 of the top 50 pokes (also consider that there are walls in the top 50 as well) are physical offensive based.
---
Friend Code: 0490-5820-6922- Add me!, TSV: 1738 IGN: Chris
#2FinalInsanityPosted 2/26/2014 10:37:59 AM
Without a doubt Game Freak wanted to nerf special attacks.

Just think back to Gen 5, how much Rain was abused for those 100% accurate Thunders, boosted Hydro Pumps, etc. Heck, weather in general tends towards benefiting special attackers (with the exception of Sand, which is more of an anti-weather anyways).

I welcome the change honestly. In Gen 5 there was absolutely no reason not to have a "kill something" button in the form of a Specs Hydro Pump or Draco Meteor, or some similar thing.
#3ClassyOldHatPosted 2/26/2014 10:38:09 AM
"Shifted" would imply that physical attackers weren't dominant throughout B/W. I'm baffled by the nerfs to special attack, as I think that physical attackers have been too dominant since Generation 4.
---
Pokemon X Grass Safari (Oddish, Sawsbuck, Gogoat) FC: 4124-5539-4848 IGN: Zach
#4DarkKirby2500Posted 2/26/2014 10:47:04 AM(edited)
Outside of Uber, the game has heavily favored physical attackers since the special physical attack split. In part because MOST moves were designated as physical as the formula was apparently if the move made contact OR was solid it was considered physical, and only if those 2 requirements were not met the move was special, leaving very few special attacks in comparison, and there were many more good Pokemon that were physical based.

While it's clear Game Freak intentionally set out to nerf special attackers, it wasn't at all justified, fair, or sensible just because they themselves love making Special based legendaries. As said, the ONLY place where physical attackers were not the mass majority was Uber.
---
1. The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him. 2. They're all complacent sheeple.
<==]-<(-_o)>-[==>
#5AvarielFeystarPosted 2/26/2014 10:41:53 AM
At least for doubles VGC format I still see a decent mix of physical and special attackers. Not sure about singles.

It is true there are special walls but Physical attackers have to deal with Intimidate and Willowisp so you do want a mix of both.
---
Pokemon Diamond FC: 4596 7359 4156
PSN: Arianeira
#6soleedge(Topic Creator)Posted 2/26/2014 10:42:29 AM
But at least in gen 5 I felt like Special Attackers were viable. The more I've gotten used to gen 6, the more I find myself gameplanning for phsycial attackers. The special attackers in this gen seem more like support than sweeping. And those pokes who do use SpAtk moves seem more like they are mixed sweepers. The popular Aegislash set is Shadow Ball, shadow sneak, flash cannon, and sacred sword.
---
Friend Code: 0490-5820-6922- Add me!, TSV: 1738 IGN: Chris
#7Elec Man EXEPosted 2/26/2014 10:52:30 AM
I've always felt physical attackers were stronger than special attackers, personally. Sure, they've got a few more hinderances to contend with (burn and intimidate) but they also have overall much wider access to boosting moves (compare Swords Dance to Nasty Plot, or Dragon Dance to Quiver Dance), generally better coverage, some key power attacks like Close Combat and Earthquake, and nearly an exclusive monopoly on priority and other unique attacks like Pursuit.

So to me, its not so much a shift from Sp. to Phys, but more a shift further down the road of physical dominance.
---
~ Master of Electricity ~
3DS FC: 3239-2743-8918 Pokemon Y Safari: Fraxure, Sliggoo, Dragonair
#8kingjam1Posted 2/26/2014 11:02:22 AM
One Pokemon can wall the majority of unboosted special attackers.
There is nothing like that for physical attackers.

Physical attackers have always dominated since the physical/ special split.
---
Can't think of anything
#9RatheVPosted 2/26/2014 11:04:20 AM
AvarielFeystar posted...
At least for doubles VGC format I still see a decent mix of physical and special attackers. Not sure about singles.

It is true there are special walls but Physical attackers have to deal with Intimidate and Willowisp so you do want a mix of both.

The thing with VGC, at least what I've seen, is that the most powerful attackers are physical (Mega Kanga, Garchomp, Talonflame, etc).

So then the metagame took a hard shift and has become heavily anti-physical (will o wisp, intimidate, etc.)
#10gamepimp12Posted 2/26/2014 11:05:03 AM
Special sweepers where king in gen 5
---
we rich now but used to be slaves,we pushing whips now we used to be whipped,rockin chains when we used to be in 'em