This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You know, I would play VGC more, if....

#1TC9834Posted 2/26/2014 10:20:18 PM
...I could just use all six of my Pokemon.

Really, that would be all that is needed to convince me to try VGC more, and I'm sure many would follow.

Yea the doubles format is another thing, but that is just a matter of taste. Some like/hate doubles, some like/hate singles, but to me, they are two different thing, and the reason I don't play a lot of VGC isn't cause they are doubles.

I know why they do it, cause this game is marketed towards kids, and kids don't have as much time to be in one tournament as the older plays do, but why not do this?

Have it so that there are two sets of VGC rules. One for kids, and one for adults, the only difference being that the kids version can only be 4v4 doubles, while the adult version is 6v6 doubles, and have all tournaments where the kids divisions go first (Much like most other tournaments for sports and martial arts) so they can still finish early.

For older players, I really don't think time is an issue.

If DoTA 2, LoL and Starcraft can have matches that last 40 mins to over an hour, AND have the tournament format be best 2 out of 3, except for the grand finals, which are best 3 out of 5, with the chance to reset the brackets, then I think Pokemon tournaments, that are not in the children's division, which last about 10 to 15 mins, be well within the range of acceptable, and by 10 to 15 mins, I mean that is about the average time for 6v6 SINGLES, which supposedly, take longer then doubles.

I think the longest 6v6 battle I had was around 20 mins, and that's on Showdown, with the battle timer being on 120 seconds, so imagine if 6v6 doubles with a battle timer down to about 30 seconds, they would be over in no time.
#2pokemon2pokerPosted 2/26/2014 10:59:13 PM
B****, b****, b****.
---
NJT
#3KanjuroPosted 2/26/2014 11:13:58 PM
Why do you want to use all six of your Pokémon?
#4Hoozah123Posted 2/26/2014 11:21:19 PM
You do realize being able to only use 4 out of 6 pokemon require strategic thinking and prediction. So not only do you have to think during battle, you have to think pre battle as well.
---
The internet is a magical place where people get easily offended.
Smogon players:"I have no counter to Bidoof."
#5bwebber17Posted 2/26/2014 11:22:53 PM
Everything about how VGC is is done to make it easier for tournament directors.

Besides, I like the idea of "pick 6, bring 4". There's more strategy behind it.
---
FC: 4785-5576-2079 IGN: Raphael
#6Hoozah123Posted 2/26/2014 11:24:57 PM
bwebber17 posted...

It the other way around. It "Bring 6, pick 4"
---
The internet is a magical place where people get easily offended.
Smogon players:"I have no counter to Bidoof."
#7TC9834(Topic Creator)Posted 2/26/2014 11:31:22 PM
I understand the, bring 6 pick 4, and the mind games behind that. That is all well and good, but I am just saying, that is not the game that I would rather play.

To me, while there is more mind games in the bring 6, pick 4, in the pregame part, but the 6v6 makes up for it in there being even more mind games during the game, since there are more thing s you can switch into.

This is coming from mostly a 6v6 singles player, but I just think that by being able to use 6 mons, you can prepare for more situations, and so IMO, the matches become more interesting, since it's way more compelling to me when both players are more prepared, and because you can be better prepared to handle a wider range of situations, there is more strategy in team building.

Obviously, people have different tastes, with neither being better then the other, but considering that my suggestion is really a small change, just go from allowing 4 to allowing 6, why can't it be an option to play the 4v4 meta, or the 6v6 meta?

And again, this is just a perspective from a singles 6v6 player, and when I do play doubles, I usually play with friends, and we do 6v6 doubles, so my perspective is a bit skewered, I will admit, but that's just how I see it.
#8bwebber17Posted 2/26/2014 11:33:16 PM
Hoozah123 posted...
bwebber17 posted...

It the other way around. It "Bring 6, pick 4"

Pssh the details lol
---
#9bwebber17Posted 2/26/2014 11:37:57 PM
TC9834 posted...
I understand the, bring 6 pick 4, and the mind games behind that. That is all well and good, but I am just saying, that is not the game that I would rather play.

To me, while there is more mind games in the bring 6, pick 4, in the pregame part, but the 6v6 makes up for it in there being even more mind games during the game, since there are more thing s you can switch into.

This is coming from mostly a 6v6 singles player, but I just think that by being able to use 6 mons, you can prepare for more situations, and so IMO, the matches become more interesting, since it's way more compelling to me when both players are more prepared, and because you can be better prepared to handle a wider range of situations, there is more strategy in team building.

Obviously, people have different tastes, with neither being better then the other, but considering that my suggestion is really a small change, just go from allowing 4 to allowing 6, why can't it be an option to play the 4v4 meta, or the 6v6 meta?

And again, this is just a perspective from a singles 6v6 player, and when I do play doubles, I usually play with friends, and we do 6v6 doubles, so my perspective is a bit skewered, I will admit, but that's just how I see it.

You need to give it a try. I hated how the rules were never about balance, but now, the more I play VGC rules, the more I enjoy it.
---
#10KanjuroPosted 2/26/2014 11:38:11 PM
I just realized why 6v6 Singles players don't like Team Preview.