This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

New to Pokemon so I have a question.

#1go_bucs22Posted 2/28/2014 6:11:24 PM
I have never played a Pokemon game before in my life. They have never really interested me. But since Nintendo is doing the promo, I thought I would try it out since I can get it for free. What is the difference in X and Y? I am actually looking forward to trying my first game out. Is there anything I should know before I start playing? I am literally going into these games not knowing anything about them. Thank you for all your time and help.
#2zhellybellyPosted 2/28/2014 6:13:51 PM
go_bucs22 posted...
I have never played a Pokemon game before in my life. They have never really interested me. But since Nintendo is doing the promo, I thought I would try it out since I can get it for free. What is the difference in X and Y? I am actually looking forward to trying my first game out. Is there anything I should know before I start playing? I am literally going into these games not knowing anything about them. Thank you for all your time and help.

Go for diversity in your team. Train them all equally, and try to memorize type advantages.
The differences between versions is negligible. I'd say pick X if you like Xerneas better, or Y if you like Yveltal better.
---
If a tree falls in the woods, and no one hears it, does a hipster buy its album?
#3Shadow Flare13Posted 2/28/2014 6:14:07 PM
For the most part, the differences between versions are a select few Pokemon you can only catch in one version and not the other. This usually includes one Legendary Pokemon (one of those dudes on the cover of the game) as well. Other than that, there may be a couple of aesthetic differences (though that was mostly last gen) and such but nothing big.
#4Tsukasa1891Posted 2/28/2014 6:23:30 PM
the only real difference is each game has a few pokemon that are exclusive to that version, so you will need to trade to get the rest if you want any of them. as well as the cover legendary already mentioned. as far as use in battle, the cover legend from X is considered to be better, thanks to a move it gets that doubles it's special attack, special defense and speed.
---
3DS 2165-5497-5235
#5Madsoldie44Posted 2/28/2014 6:23:44 PM
Yeah, bassically look at the cover and which ever one looks better to you (or look up the stats if you'd like) and pick based off the legendary, because there is 4 water pokemon exclusive to each game and I believe 2 more on top of that, but you'e gonna miss some regardless to which game you get.

Things to keep in mind
-Type advantages (fire is weak to water, water is weak to grass, grass is weak to fire, etc)
-Talk to every NPC, they tend to offer things from useful healing items to moves you can tech your Pokemon (Known as TM's)
-In order to progress in the game you'll need to find/learn HM moves (Similar to TM's except these can be used outside of battling to surf on the water, cut down trees, fly to another town, etc)
-Some Pokemon do not evolve by leveling up, some need to be traded (which is a pain) some need to reach a certain level while your 3ds is being held upside down (Inkay at level 30) and others just need to be given a certain stone (water stone, grass stone, fire stone, moon stone, etc)
-Lastly, the game is open world, but has a linear based story, meaning you can go wherever you'd like in the game, whenever you desire (however HM's are needed and some aren't introduced until specific moments in the game) but certain things will blocked off until you progress in the story.
---
FC: 1607-2245-0868
poison with Cascoon, Swalot, and Muk
#6PuppyfaicPosted 2/28/2014 6:27:31 PM
The only differences are:
The legendary you catch at the plot's climax
Pokemon you find in the wild
Certain mega stones you can find
---
3DS FC: 0216 1295 1824 | Pokemon X IGN: Puppyfaic | Bergmite, Snorunt, Piloswine
Playing: Pokemon X, Mario Kart 7, PMD Gates to Infinity
#7go_bucs22(Topic Creator)Posted 3/1/2014 10:56:49 AM
Thanks everyone for your input! I decided on Y because I liked the look of the Pokemon lol. It is currently downloading on my 3ds XL. I am actually really excited about playing my first Pokemon game.
#8go_bucs22(Topic Creator)Posted 3/1/2014 11:23:33 AM
I also have Zelda:ALBW, Zelda:OOT 3D, Fire Emblem: Awakening, Super Mario 3D Land, Luigi's Mansion 2, and Fifa 13. This Pokemon Y should be a great companion for my other games. Do you have any other recommendations of games that I don't have? My favorite series of all time is The Legend of Zelda. Is there any Zelda type games on the 3DS?
#9link_15Posted 3/1/2014 11:48:16 AM(edited)
X and Y are excellent starting points in the series. The games are designs so newcomers of all ages can fully enjoy them, so rest assured that you wont feel intimidated by the amount of information you will have to learn. If you are at least familiar with the old cartoon, then you already have a very good idea how the gameplay is going to be. the games are pretty flexible and you can win by pretty much any play style you like. For me personally, Its about collecting all the different types of monsters in the game. So I like to have a big collection of pokemon and give them all a try to see who i like better, then keep the ones I like and store the rest. My best friend whoever likes to only use the same 3 or 4 pokemon in the whole game. so he ends up with a powerful small team that makes the game a cake walk. I recommend you do my approach the first time and collect any new pokemon you see, because catching a new pokemon will provide you with useful information on its species (its type). This will help you know how to deal with it if the same species was used against you in battle(Example: lets say you caught a pokemon and it turned out that its a water type, of you faced this pokemon in a battle later you'll know that its a water type so you'll choose a grass type to beat it, because grass beats water in pokemon). Its also recommended to have a team with diverse types to help you survive all kinds of gyms. For example, If your team has many fire pokemon in it, your going to have a tough time in the water gym, but if you have a grass pokemon, you can hold your ground much better. its a pretty straight forward rock-paper-scissor strategy.

So in short:

catch many pokemon!
have a diverse team!
and most important of all. Have fun!
---
FC: 2921-9125-4259 Salem from Historia.
http://i.minus.com/izxgfHjTzPAFN.jpg