This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Pokemon Really Exploits The OCD In People

#1JohnHalo343Posted 3/6/2014 3:48:45 PM
Not that all RPGs don't do it to an extent, but I think this franchise really takes the cake. What other game encourages players to seek out over 700 species of "animals", each with substantial movepool allowing for many variations. Then you can add IVs, natures, and different Genders with alternate appearances. All to complete a digital encyclopedia that is only ever complete for a couple of years.

Then you have the shinies. Dear God, the shinies.

I think it effects us all to different extents, however. I myself am a stickler for natures and Genders (like, I hate female Alakazams and Pilachus, they don't look right to me). I have never cared about shiny Pokemon or completing the Dex.

How far has the series victimized and exploited your OCD?
---
Official Voice of the Xbox One Community
GT: FleshBack
#2BurnedPotatoesPosted 3/6/2014 3:49:57 PM
...Sometimes...I wonder....
---
3DS FC: 4656-7454-0042 FS: Flying Type, Pidgey, Tranquill, and Rufflet
I don't give people serious answers unless needed.
#3JmandalPosted 3/6/2014 3:54:50 PM
Completely exploits my OCD. I'm so anal about so many things when it comes to pokemon it's ridiculous...
---
3DS FC: 2079-7184-6866
Black FC: 3569 4968 1940
#4GreatHammurabiPosted 3/6/2014 4:01:45 PM
If you think Pokemon is bad you should try playing through an entry in the Disgaea series. There are so many things to conquer and master it's ridiculous. I still love the series though.

Not saying Pokemon doesn't bring out the OCD in people or anything, Disgaea just goes absurdly in depth with everything.
---
3DS Friend Code: 5284 - 1400 - 8692
Friend Safari: Dewgong, Sneasel, Delibird - In Game Name: Andrew
#5inspiritsPosted 3/6/2014 4:03:23 PM
I care about the typical IVs/Nature/etc, but it irritates me to no end if the Pokemon is in a pokeball with an unfitting effect+look and/or is the wrong gender.
..and I have to be able to nickname them at all times, so it all goes terrible. Thank goodness they got rid of the Cool/Smart/etc. stats, I used to be OCD about those too.
---
"Yesterday is only today's memory and tomorrow is today's dream! Let's do our best!"
3DS FC: 1048-9881-3605 IGN: Karen
#6KFRarityPosted 3/6/2014 4:12:31 PM
You people have some serious problems!....and so do I
I also want specific gender pokemon, even if that pokemon is rare (Like Absol, I only want it as a female since 3rd gen) and the opposite gender is the only thing that appears. I could run around for days until I get it. I catch all the forms a pokemon has (if any).
I also enjoy setting my items by appearance, from lowest to highest effect...but I'm not like that anymore, I think I got bored with the games only. After Platnium, last PKMN game in general I played was Black 2 since I bought it at the Nintendo World event. I still enjoy to watch the movies and collecting figures and etc.
---
Losing interest in Nintendo since 11/19/06
#7SpoonMan54321Posted 3/6/2014 4:26:54 PM
yeah.... now that bank is a thing, i spend my days trying to build a complete noah's ark worth of pokemon. two of EVERYTHING, a male and female of every form.

been working backwards through the pokedex and at this moment i'm working on the shinx family.

after this i'll be trying to FILL bank completely, just to be certain that it doesn't really give you anything.... (let's not forget about surfing pikachu from Box and Mew from Ranch)
---
...and bababooey to y'all
0946-2391-1483 - In-game name is "Y!"
#8DrunkenPilot72Posted 3/6/2014 4:48:41 PM
GreatHammurabi posted...
If you think Pokemon is bad you should try playing through an entry in the Disgaea series. There are so many things to conquer and master it's ridiculous. I still love the series though.

Not saying Pokemon doesn't bring out the OCD in people or anything, Disgaea just goes absurdly in depth with everything.

I'd say they are about equal actually just because Disgaea doesn't screw reincarnation cycles up the way breeding does.

Once the main story is done and all of the hax factory items are in place (Pokemon breeding gear, Disgaea Cave of Ordeals open with Senate bills jacking exp, etc) how long does it take to make an ideal team? Well in Disgaea, that amount of time is determined off of the player's exp and mana management as well as their access to item world hax gear. In pokemon, you are at the mercy of RNG.

Oh so a good breeder can do it in an hour? Fair enough but how many pokemon are you going to breed? In Disgaea it isn't worth managing more than 10 units and even then you only need 3 or 2 at Prinny Baal slaying status.
---
PSN: vyers72
FC: 0860-3464-0095, IGN: Y, Normal Safari: Chansey, Teddiursa, Minccino
#9PsychoDongYiPosted 3/7/2014 9:16:16 AM
If I weren't broke and lazy, I'd have 2 6IV Egg Move (Yawn, Wish, Curse) Eevees of each nature. (Ha and non-HA)

I would also have 1 ditto of each nature and 1 0speed ditto (already do)

I'd also have 4 of each pokemon. (5IV, 2 Males and 2 Females, 1 HA and 1 non-HA for each gender)

But since I'm broke (No Bank for me, cards are only sold in bundles where I live) and lazy, breeding breeding and more breeding, (Also, I want HGSS Pokeballs so that I could breed my pokes in fun pokeballs) I have somewhat lost interest.

I'm a perfectionst, if I can't get it to be perfect, then I don't want it. That's how I usually feel.
---
3DS Friend Code: 2981 - 5840 - 1388 - Dong Yi |
Plan for the worst; hope for the best.
#10PsychoDongYiPosted 3/7/2014 9:19:06 AM
BTW, OCD is a mental disorder. (Obsessive-compulsive disorder)
I believe that you are referring to OC behaviour. (Obsessive-compulsive behaviour)
I'm sorry, I just see too many people making this mistake.
---
3DS Friend Code: 2981 - 5840 - 1388 - Dong Yi |
Plan for the worst; hope for the best.