This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Everytime someone argues why game freak doesn't make a battle simulator ...

#1Chenmaster2Posted 3/11/2014 9:38:33 AM
a cute kitty weeps. Please think of all these sad kitties.

But no seriously if all you care is about competitive battling then go on a simulator. Pokemon didn't get first get crazy popular back then because of competitive battling. All these kids including us back then bought them because we want to show our friends that we got what it takes to become a pokemon master or simply have relax and fun with the games. The closest we got and I could be wrong here are the rentals from the Pokemon Stadium games but those were made by Hal Labs. If you want to hack that's fine with me as long as you know what you're doing, but to complain about the lack of a Pokemon simulator made by Game Freak like PS is naive to me.
---
Swag. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pKDsdzODv0
ACNL Dream Address: 4800-2736-0484
#2jpmark5Posted 3/11/2014 10:28:27 AM
Let me just start by saying, I have played Pokemon for a long time, I was about 8 or so when I first played Gold and I cherish all the times I spent playing Pokemon as a child.

Naturally as I get older, the simple pleasures the base games contain no longer present a challenge. This is where metagaming comes in. In order to get a decent team in the base game for use in metagaming, you most likely will have hatch a lot of eggs, and trade, and use things like Bank to get B/W2 Tutor moves etc. etc.

As I am older now, and have commitments and responsibilities in the real world, I no longer have time to perform such tedious tasks in order to scrounge a team together just to enjoy Pokemon (and not get whooped) on a level where I'm able to challenge myself by playing against people rather than AI.

Now just hack you say? I would never cheat in an video game online and I do not condone actions such as hacking and genning as I believe this belittles the effort that other people with more time have put in to raise their Pokemon.

If GF had their own version of a simulator, they would make revenue, which is always important. Also people like me who are short on time, yet still want to enjoy pokemon competitively, can do so. Without feeling immoral because they're using an (unnamed) unofficial and unlicensed program that clearly makes revenue off IP that is not their own. Most importantly though, the genners and hackers would no longer have a reason to do so, as there would be an official simulator that caters to their needs.

TL;DR Smogon stealing GF's IP and playerbase is not OK.
---
official satoshi fanboy
#3Chenmaster2(Topic Creator)Posted 3/11/2014 10:35:43 AM
jpmark5 posted...
Let me just start by saying, I have played Pokemon for a long time, I was about 8 or so when I first played Gold and I cherish all the times I spent playing Pokemon as a child.

Naturally as I get older, the simple pleasures the base games contain no longer present a challenge. This is where metagaming comes in. In order to get a decent team in the base game for use in metagaming, you most likely will have hatch a lot of eggs, and trade, and use things like Bank to get B/W2 Tutor moves etc. etc.

As I am older now, and have commitments and responsibilities in the real world, I no longer have time to perform such tedious tasks in order to scrounge a team together just to enjoy Pokemon (and not get whooped) on a level where I'm able to challenge myself by playing against people rather than AI.

Now just hack you say? I would never cheat in an video game online and I do not condone actions such as hacking and genning as I believe this belittles the effort that other people with more time have put in to raise their Pokemon.

If GF had their own version of a simulator, they would make revenue, which is always important. Also people like me who are short on time, yet still want to enjoy pokemon competitively, can do so. Without feeling immoral because they're using an (unnamed) unofficial and unlicensed program that clearly makes revenue off IP that is not their own. Most importantly though, the genners and hackers would no longer have a reason to do so, as there would be an official simulator that caters to their needs.

TL;DR Smogon stealing GF's IP and playerbase is not OK.

Smogon isn't the only the one using a simulator so it's not entirely on Smogon. I'm not saying battle simulators are out of the question because it has been done before like the ones on the console. I wouldn't be surprised if they did made one like the console versions that was done in the past.
---
#4Inferno05Posted 3/11/2014 10:48:59 AM
I don't know of a single Pokemon editing program that makes revenue from itself. Pokegen and Pokesav are free, as are Pokecheck/PokeGTS. AR, Flashcarts, and NDS Adapter Plus don't make money off any IP, nor does any other method of transferring hacked .pkms.

The only one I think I may be wrong about is that cell-phone app that got caught in last year's VGCs, I don't use it and have no idea if it charges to download.

And TC, at least you're ok w/ people enjoying the game how they want. The other part is all your oppinion, but I think that the "GF Simulator" is a good idea for post-game. I enjoy the main story, and if they made such a simulator it would be obvious the Pokemon created there would exist only there. Never added to the Pokedex, never brought into your real party for NPC battles in the overworld. It wouldn't take away from the simpler pleasures of the game from those who enjoy it, and wouldn't force it (except for the main story) on those who don't.
---
Pokemon X 1676-4937-5079 IGN: Reaga SV: 1734
#5Chenmaster2(Topic Creator)Posted 3/11/2014 11:10:55 AM
Inferno05 posted...
I don't know of a single Pokemon editing program that makes revenue from itself. Pokegen and Pokesav are free, as are Pokecheck/PokeGTS. AR, Flashcarts, and NDS Adapter Plus don't make money off any IP, nor does any other method of transferring hacked .pkms.

The only one I think I may be wrong about is that cell-phone app that got caught in last year's VGCs, I don't use it and have no idea if it charges to download.

And TC, at least you're ok w/ people enjoying the game how they want. The other part is all your oppinion, but I think that the "GF Simulator" is a good idea for post-game. I enjoy the main story, and if they made such a simulator it would be obvious the Pokemon created there would exist only there. Never added to the Pokedex, never brought into your real party for NPC battles in the overworld. It wouldn't take away from the simpler pleasures of the game from those who enjoy it, and wouldn't force it (except for the main story) on those who don't.

I have heard of people wanting that before and that kind of ruins the point of event pokemon the Pokemon Company hosts and ruins the concept of trying to catch them all. Those pokemon you haven't obtained you either trade or get it yourself and not rely on a pokemon simulator to see it for yourself. I get what you're saying but what you're asking has downsides that Game Freak does not appreciate.
---
#6XImperialDragonPosted 3/11/2014 11:12:22 AM
Pokemon Stadium 2 was the most fun I've ever had with Pokemon, so I'm going to simply state: They've made battle Sims before, and when they had tons of features (being able to play the games at a faster speed, nicknames giving different color schemes, a pretty robust round 2 mode that was actually challenging versus PBRs piss easy modes, and lots, lots more), the games are really good.

I didn't like coliseum because it took away most of the stuff I liked from Stadium 2 and gave us a gimped battle sim in favor of a poor campaign mode, and PBR was just absolutely pathetic and it took entirely too long to get to the fun battles (especially if you transfer your own Pokemon); I gave up after playing against baby forms for 8 hours and just played it online.

I'd still love the hell out of a stadium 3 though now those kind of games are losing their purpose given we have fully 3d battles now on the handheld, but I'd take a post game expansion of something, honestly, as that was the only flaw I found with X/Y compared to previous generations (when the hell are they going to start adding the Battle Frontier areas to the first 2 games rather than purposefully withholding it for the third? It's getting old).
---
Sony bought Konami and will release a DDR game for the Nintendo 3DS. In this game, you set your 3DS on the floor and stomp on it till it no longer functions.
#7Chenmaster2(Topic Creator)Posted 3/11/2014 11:14:26 AM
XImperialDragon posted...
Pokemon Stadium 2 was the most fun I've ever had with Pokemon, so I'm going to simply state: They've made battle Sims before, and when they had tons of features (being able to play the games at a faster speed, nicknames giving different color schemes, a pretty robust round 2 mode that was actually challenging versus PBRs piss easy modes, and lots, lots more), the games are really good.

I didn't like coliseum because it took away most of the stuff I liked from Stadium 2 and gave us a gimped battle sim in favor of a poor campaign mode, and PBR was just absolutely pathetic and it took entirely too long to get to the fun battles (especially if you transfer your own Pokemon); I gave up after playing against baby forms for 8 hours and just played it online.

I'd still love the hell out of a stadium 3 though now those kind of games are losing their purpose given we have fully 3d battles now on the handheld, but I'd take a post game expansion of something, honestly, as that was the only flaw I found with X/Y compared to previous generations (when the hell are they going to start adding the Battle Frontier areas to the first 2 games rather than purposefully withholding it for the third? It's getting old).

The reason they did that is because of money. I would love a Pokemon Stadium game as those games were a blast to play.
---
#8Inferno05Posted 3/11/2014 11:21:58 AM
Chenmaster2 posted...
I have heard of people wanting that before and that kind of ruins the point of event pokemon the Pokemon Company hosts and ruins the concept of trying to catch them all. Those pokemon you haven't obtained you either trade or get it yourself and not rely on a pokemon simulator to see it for yourself. I get what you're saying but what you're asking has downsides that Game Freak does not appreciate.

Those who Gen (which is most of the people who want an in-game sim anyway) already don't care about the events. And since the idea is that Pokemon from the "Sim" are not added to Pokedex or Party or Boxes, all they are ever used for is battle, and the people with other reasons to have a Deoxys or Diancie will still attend the events. I for one didn't bother w/ the GameStop Creation Trio b/c I knew I could make them myself. But if I wanted Deoxys in my Pokedex (and didn't Pokegen) I'd still go down to the next event near me that may give it.
---
Pokemon X 1676-4937-5079 IGN: Reaga SV: 1734
#9Chenmaster2(Topic Creator)Posted 3/11/2014 11:29:17 AM(edited)
Inferno05 posted...
Chenmaster2 posted...

Those who Gen (which is most of the people who want an in-game sim anyway) already don't care about the events. And since the idea is that Pokemon from the "Sim" are not added to Pokedex or Party or Boxes, all they are ever used for is battle, and the people with other reasons to have a Deoxys or Diancie will still attend the events. I for one didn't bother w/ the GameStop Creation Trio b/c I knew I could make them myself. But if I wanted Deoxys in my Pokedex (and didn't Pokegen) I'd still go down to the next event near me that may give it.

Of course hackers don't care. It's not entirely why Game Freak doesn't want to make one but I think if you dig deep enough you would know the answer. Do you care about them? Probably not and that's fine but the world we live in doesn't revolve our own thoughts whether we like it or not.
---
#10RatheVPosted 3/11/2014 11:36:19 AM
You can't tell me what to do! I play Rotation battles, and I like it that way! I'll hack if I wanna hack.