This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Worse "generic bird Pokemon" IYO?

#31MadameLuigi64Posted 3/16/2014 5:49:20 PM(edited)
Talonflame, because it's the only one that manages to be everywhere and be horribly cheap at the same time. Tranquill was cheap with its Roost/Detect fiasco paired with high speed (For a mid-stage, at least), but it was only really found OUTSIDE of PvP, so it was OK if you knew where it was found and could therefore easily avoid it. But Talonflame's Gale Wings + U-Turn/Brave Bird/Flare Blitz crap, paired with the fact that everyone online and their mother uses one makes it a worse "Generic Bird" by far.
---
Oh, really? You were joking? Well, where I come from, jokes are funny!
#32MeepleLardiclePosted 3/16/2014 5:57:41 PM(edited)
So...why isn't Fearow on this list? It's available one route after Pidgey in Kanto, and almost as early as Pidgey in Johto, and very much fits the mold (only 2 stages, true, but Noctowl and Swellow have that too.)

Just saying <_<

And before someone jumps to conclusions, I am not saying it is the worst, just saying it should be on the list, to be technical and complete.
---
www.rpgdl.com
The site Meeple argues at for too much of his life!
#33SilentS89Posted 3/16/2014 5:54:58 PM
MeepleLardicle posted...
So...why isn't Fearow on this list? It's available one route after Pidgey in Kanto, and almost as early as Pidgey in FRLG, and very much fits the mold (only 2 stages, true, but Noctowl and Swellow have that too.)

Just saying <_<

My favorite "Generic Bird Pokemon" is Braviary.

Murica.
#34BurnedPotatoesPosted 3/16/2014 6:06:37 PM(edited)
SilentS89 posted...
MeepleLardicle posted...
So...why isn't Fearow on this list? It's available one route after Pidgey in Kanto, and almost as early as Pidgey in FRLG, and very much fits the mold (only 2 stages, true, but Noctowl and Swellow have that too.)

Just saying <_<

My favorite "Generic Bird Pokemon" is Braviary.

Murica.

I Agree with this post.
---
3DS FC: 4656-7454-0042 FS: Flying Type, Pidgey, Tranquill, and Rufflet
I don't give people serious answers unless needed.
#35silverwing525Posted 3/16/2014 5:58:25 PM
Unpheasent (I know, my spelling sucks) is the worst in my oppinion. That overly flashy peacock somehow manages to annoying, worthless in battle, and completely forgettable all at the same time.

I like Pidgiot because I still remember how it was(and still is) back in the day.

Noctowl is cool because of how it breaks the "common daytime bird" trend. Also the concept of a psychic owl is pretty cool in my oppinon.(even if it isn't technically a psychic-type)

Swellow has always been one of my favorite bird pokemon. Great design and reasonable battle potenial.

Staraptor starts out kinda goofy looks but manages to pull of a bad a** look with it final evo, so it is respectable in my book. Plus it can be pretty tought in a fight.

As for Talonflame, I will admit that at first I didn't realize that it evolved from Fetchling. >.< But now that have seen it, it has become my all time favorite non-legendary bird pokemon. Its design is nothing short of epic and it is one of the few known counters to the infamous Speed-Boost Blaziken, making it a force to reckoned with in battle.
---
Let the silver light of Justice fill the world!
Official Lugia of PMD.
#36coreekymonPosted 3/16/2014 6:05:24 PM
The_Sol_Blader posted...
Fun fact: Unfezant is faster and stronger than Pidgeot

Uh, no it's not Unfezant has a base speed of 93, Pidgeot has a base speed of 101.
---
I very much dislike the Gamefaqs boards, I don't know why I'm here.
#37troytholomew_3Posted 3/16/2014 6:05:58 PM(edited)
I'm surprised at all the Unfezant votes, I went with Pidgeot.
---
*yawns*
#38TropiOUsPosted 3/16/2014 6:07:11 PM
Talonflame is the worse in both ingame and competitive. Its design is terrible too.
---
Yes, I'm that guy from Smogon. 80% of my posts are troll posts. I HATE DRUDDIGON
#39therealpokenarPosted 3/16/2014 6:14:27 PM
TropiOUs posted...
Talonflame is the worse in both ingame and competitive. Its design is terrible too.

Are you trying to use it without gale wings or something?
---
"The burden of proof is on the one proposing an idea, not on those who believe it to be false." by pikpikcarrotmon
#40MeepleLardiclePosted 3/16/2014 6:14:44 PM
Braviary is clearly different, though.

Braviary is gotten rather late (ignoring the early interactable in White 2), and heck, it evolves in the 50s.

Let's compare the others meanwhile:

Pidgeot: Evolves twice at 18 and 36, BST of 469 (479 in XY), is fairly early in the Kanto Dex
Fearow: Evolves once at level 20, BST of 442, also early in the Kanto Dex
Noctowl: Evolves once at level 20, BST of 442, early in the Johto Dex
Swellow: Evolves once at level 22, BST of 430, early in the Hoehn Dex
Staraptor: Evolves twice at 14 and 34, BST of 475 (485 in XY), early in the Sinnoh Dex
Unfezant: Evolves twice at 21 and 32, BST of 478 (488 in XY), early in the Unova Dex
Braviary: Evolves once at level 54, BST of 520, very late in the Unova Dex (there's only a handful of things between it and legendaries)
Talonflame: Evolves twice at level 17 and 35, BST of 499, early in the Kalos Dex

NOTE: I could be wrong but I think the ones with BST changes were the 3 stage Birds only; not largely relevant, as I'm mostly illustrating that they all have similar BSTs, so a 10 difference wouldn't make or break the argument

NOTE 2: I'm using "Region Dex" as a shorthand for "In this regions section of the National Dex"; I don't care to go through every regional dex and find where everything is numbered, just "is it early among respective generation Pokemon in number value?"

You'll notice that Swellow and Noctowl are not consistent with the other 4 at all outside of "early in the dex" but are fairly close to Fearow, which seems more likely what they were modeled or built around (heck, Noctowl has identical BST and Evolution levels), so for them to be included by not Fearow doesn't make sense unless you're adamant about only one per region.

Braviary you'll notice is not consistent with any of the above, meanwhile. Yeah, it's only 21 points higher than Talonflame, but Talonflame has the highest BST of all the others and it's closer to Pidgeot than it is to Braviary, and Pidgeot has the lowest BST of the "3 stagers", so there you go.

It's very clear that Fearow was intended to be an alternate option to Pidgeot as an early game bird, where as Braviary was intended to be a late game powerhouse of sorts. This is why I think it's fair to lump Fearow with the group (especially since it's basically the reason Swellow and Noctowl can be considered a "generic bird") while Braviary clearly is not.
---
www.rpgdl.com
The site Meeple argues at for too much of his life!