This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Opinion: Game content in X/Y was half-assed in favor of aesthetics

#1XGamer549Posted 3/24/2014 9:03:18 PM(edited)
Personally, I think Gen VI so far is kind of bland... I don't mean to say that I didn't enjoy the game, because I did and I am more hooked on this game than any of the others so far. I'm loving this game to death, it's as great as any of the others. And there is no denying that Kalos is absolutely f***ing beautiful. It's very clear that the developers put a lot, a lot, a lot of time into making all the scenery and camera effects and NPC/pokemon renders look amazing. Another pro for this gen is that the lineup of new pokemon isn't half bad, either. I don't know if I would say Gen VI has my favorite pokemon in it, but I never once thought that any of the new pokemon were boring or uninspired.

That said...

In terms of innovation, I think X and Y are quite a bit lacking. There were almost no updates to game mechanics. The only new things we got battle-wise was sky battles and inverse battles, which are terribly bland and not very special at all, imo. Sky battles are basically not different than normal battles, you're just limited to specific pokemon. Inverse battles are nice, but why can we only fight one trainer once a day in that format? All of the routes are very short and very simple, and while they look nice as far as the renders and textures go, I didn't find them very memorable. The story was decent, not poor at all but neither was it anything special. The Battle Maison is a terrible excuse for a battle frontier; it's an absolute recycle of the same old battle tower from every other game with no improvements at all. Post-game? A few petty sidequests that are not particularly interesting nor challenging, and a grand total of three legendaries to hunt down. Other than that, there is backtracking with the Waterfall HM but otherwise no new areas to explore (I loved the entire extra island from Gen IV).

Gen III had beauty contests, battle tents, and an amazingly content-filled (albeit punishingly difficult) battle frontier, and it added double battles. Gen IV had loads of content post-game. Gen V added triple and rotation battles. Gen VI... just doesn't really add anything.

It's a wonderful game, I emphasize again, and I don't mean to bash it. I just wonder if anyone else agrees with me on this. I sincerely hope that Z really adds a lot of stuff, most of all a decent postgame and a much better battle frontier. Gen VI has been great and very fun to play, but a lot of it just feels really rehashed in my opinion.

tl;dr Gen VI is fun and aesthetically beautiful, but lacking in terms of innovation compared to what previous gens have added to the mix
---
~XG~ /// http://www.backloggery.com/pixelate
http://www.youtube.com/xg549
#2Chenmaster2Posted 3/24/2014 9:04:19 PM
I feel you.

Graphics like these took up a lot of time and Junichi Masuda was serious when he said Pokemon Amie took a lot of effort to put into.
---
Swag. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pKDsdzODv0
ACNL Dream Address: 4800-2736-0484
#3LightningAce11Posted 3/24/2014 9:07:50 PM
Graphics did take up a lot of time.
---
"Maybe your best course, would be to tread lightly" - Walter White. Pokemon Club ID: #00016
3DS FC: 0104-0009-5189
#4kclaujamesPosted 3/24/2014 9:09:50 PM
I agree but... can we see XY as a BEGINNING to new heights?

Despite my agreement with you, Gen 6 "feels" like a new generation to me, a feeling which BW could not give me. There are many exciting features which have tremendous potentials to be developed further, such as Pokemon Amie and new types. All in all I am thankful that Gamefreak made XY.
---
Pokemon XY Friend Safari Type: Fairy
Pokemon: Swirlix, Togepi, Floette FC: 2509 2175 4600
#5GhetsisPosted 3/24/2014 9:10:34 PM
If that were true, the aesthetics wouldn't be as bad as they are.
---
For those players who don't speak Australian, we have provided an English translation of the previous scene. Do you want to replay the scene? TSV: 1885
#6Nintendo_SabresPosted 3/24/2014 9:10:37 PM
Even more reason for Z/x^2,y^2/etc.
---
3DS FC: 0748 2414 1026
Growlithe, Pyroar, Braixen
#7Chenmaster2Posted 3/24/2014 9:11:23 PM
Ghetsis posted...
If that were true, the aesthetics wouldn't be as bad as they are.

The battle models look great on the 3DS.
---
Swag. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pKDsdzODv0
ACNL Dream Address: 4800-2736-0484
#8Mariofan15Posted 3/24/2014 9:16:10 PM
Content is always half assed when it comes to new games of a new Gen. This shouldnt be a surprise.
---
3DS FC:3394-3658-2611
Pokemon White 2 National Dex Completed:9/26/2013
#9BlissedIgnorancPosted 3/24/2014 9:19:02 PM
Oh look a well detailed "Gen 3" thread. Good show, they didn't notice.
---
3DS FC: 3754 7732 9971 Fighting Safari - Meditite, Sawk, Tyrogue
#10AmourshippingPosted 3/24/2014 9:19:45 PM
The graphics in this game, the small details they added and the time limit they had, made this game amazing. However I feel bad for "asking the creators for more"

While the game is new and exciting at the beginning, it did get a little dull once you realize that it really does have the same features and before. The story-line changed but overall the HMs are still there and you still have only four moves to work with. (I always thought it would have been better to change that to 6 moves, it would feel more free and not as constricted)

I also like the detail where we can sit down or kneel when talking to smaller children. However I do wish there was more areas, more locations to haunt pokemon and of course more Kalos pokemon instead of the small amount we gotten.

I still think that even though it's not as great as it should be, it's still a huge step towards a better future for these games. They got the right idea and they showed us they were able to pull something as big as this off, they just need to keep going forward and listen to the fans..

Add more features and change up the story. Think about it, how cool would a Pokemon game be if instead of being the hero...You were a child raised by (Team Rocket/Team flare etc) and your mission in the game was to become a great pokemon master and defeat Red. (or whoever the hero may be)

Pokemon: Dark And Light!.

LOL
---
IGN: Talim: FC: 5086 - 2640 - 8664 * Safari type - Ice: (Snover, Bergmite and Piloswine)