This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How much is Pokemon a skill-based game?

#1kclaujamesPosted 3/27/2014 4:14:24 AM
Base your answer on all the years and experience you have in Pokemon, don't miss anything - Results (235 votes)
10 - wholly skill based
4.26% (10 votes)
7.23% (17 votes)
24.68% (58 votes)
25.53% (60 votes)
14.47% (34 votes)
8.51% (20 votes)
5.96% (14 votes)
2.55% (6 votes)
0.85% (2 votes)
1 - barely any skill needed, almost entirely luck based
5.96% (14 votes)
This poll is now closed.
An 8 for me.
---
Pokemon XY Friend Safari Type: Fairy
Pokemon: Swirlix, Togepi, Floette FC: 2509 2175 4600
#2fawful_XPosted 3/27/2014 4:31:29 AM
I'm pretty sure some people will think it's a nonlethal version of Russian Roulette.

I say 6. The AI constantly pulls of hax, and you pretty much have to play the luck card occasionally (especially with OHKO moves/Hypnomiss/Focus Miss/Stone Miss).
---
Current Project: Platinum Highlocke: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/2000300-pokemon-emerald-social/68841397
Has the occasional moment of (in)competence.
#3Brandon042487Posted 3/27/2014 4:38:09 AM
Imo I feel there is a good mix of both.

Skill is how you build your team from their Iv/Ev spread, move set, and coming up strategies,

And luck is on predicting the right times to buff, switch in, any move that isn't 100% accurate, is a roll of a die and hoping not to have a wrong prediction or a miss.

Id say 80% skill 20% luck
---
3DS FC: 5413-0222-6739
Friend Safari: Lampent, Phantump and Golurk
#4FreestylerkingPosted 3/27/2014 4:42:42 AM
It is Russian roulette

Prediction is Roulette because your opponent can switch out or stay in. It's a 50/50 chance. You can't get into the head of a player so prediction is pretty much luck pure.. I don't see how this can be competitive, if your just guessing all the time.. On top of that random hax, crits, miss etc.
---
My TSV is 2858!!! IGN: Robert
3DS Friendcode: 0533-5284-3307, PM me for OU/UU or VGC Doubles :)
#5The_RNGPosted 3/27/2014 4:43:20 AM
Oh, hi there. Didn't see you 'till I F5'd the board.
---
RNG stands for "Random Number Goddess".
I'm the one that reigns over the random elements of your games!
#6Catluver17Posted 3/27/2014 5:01:18 AM
Skill means nothing if the RNG says 'Lolno' and forces you to miss or get status'd at a critical moment.

100% luck son, and that includes everything like breeding and stuff too.
---
Being intelligent is a full time job.
3DS FC 1633-4915-5991. Y Safari: Rock: Dwebble, Corsola, Rhydon.
#7WolfJouninPosted 3/27/2014 5:37:46 AM(edited)
3. Anyone who thinks it is anywhere above a 5 at most is fooling themselves or has not thought about it in-depth. The closest thing this game can get to maximizing skill would require:

-All Pokemon must have Battle/Shell Armor only to prevent critical hits.
-Only 100% accuracy moves.
-Moves that do not have a chance based effect.
-No status conditions other than Burn/Confuse (though these would only be usable by passing orb items under these conditions).
-No Abilities with a chance based effect.
-No Hold Items that have to do with chance.
-No Multi-Hitting moves (since no skill link due to needing Battle Armor or Shell Armor)
-Both players start with the same lead Pokemon.
-Anything else I missed involving RNG (except speed ties, which I'll get to soon).

Not only do these set of unofficial rules go further than smogon ever will in terms of balancing the game (though smogon's rules are nowhere near as boring), but even after all of that there is still the issue of the speed tie coin flip. Even if you were to alter the programming of the speed tie so that both attacks happen simultaneously, Pokemon would still be nothing but a guessing game... of course, being knowledgeable and predicting correctly as consistently as possible takes some level of skill, but it still has a lot of luck involved.

In short, while Pokemon does require some level of skill, the skill cap is VERY low for competitive players when compared to other games (specifically ones that are not turn based). If you look at Super Smash Bros for example (which is not even seen as one of the more competitive games), while the roster is nowhere near balanced, if you turn off all items and play a mirror match on a non-hazardous stage, with a character that has no RNG (such as Peach with her random radishes and sometimes items), THAT is an example that reaches a true battle of skill (at least in melee and project M, where slipping which can be compared to critical hits, cannot happen)... the problem with considering Pokemon to have a significant amount of skill involved is that even with self-imposed rules it cannot reach that level where skill is the only factor without a simulator that changes the mechanics of some things entirely (such as speed ties), in which case you aren't even playing "Pokemon" anymore.

tl;dr: I voted 3 because it requires one to be very knowledgeable (knowing damage calculations, team building to maximize synergy and minimize bad matchups, etc etc) and sometimes requires the player to outwit their opponent while leaving as little as possible to chance, but that is as far as it goes in terms of skill.

tl;dr for tl;dr: It has a very low skill cap even if you remove all of the RNG.
---
3DS Friend Code: 4639 - 9096 - 3760
#8CakeOfLiesPosted 3/27/2014 5:11:13 AM
There's plenty of skill involved. You need skill to decide on which Pokemon are best for your team, you need skill to train them, and you need skill to decide which moves are the best for them. And that's before the battle actually starts. There's a degree of luck in accuracy and crits, but there's still plenty of prediction involved. Anyone who says otherwise is lying to themselves.

However, I do agree that there's no skill in using Talonfailame.
---
I was once modded for illegal activity because I made a topic asking for advice on nicknaming my Pokemon.
3DS FC: 5043-2277-6391 - THIEF
#9HabefietPosted 3/27/2014 6:02:26 AM(edited)
WolfJounin posted...
3. Anyone who thinks it is anywhere above a 5 at most is fooling themselves or has not thought about it in-depth.

Playing by The Pokemon Company's official format, Ray Rizzo was the world champion three times in a row. Top players in every format (BattleSpot, Smogon, VGC) generally remain top players.

To put it bluntly, you are provably wrong. While luck is obviously a major factor in the game, there's consistency in results. This would be like saying that absolutely no trading card game could ever be skillful, or like saying no regular card game (read: poker) could ever be skillful.

There's no other way around it, you're... just wrong rofl

You're also pretty wrong about Smash not being considered one of the more competitive games, nowadays Melee is exceedingly popular, back at Evo this year (and at MLG Anaheim to boot), and you're wrong that using Peach somehow instantly renders the game non-competitive o.o

EDIT: Oh jeez you also said that it has to be a mirror match for a matchup in a fighting game to be skillful--WHAT? WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN

You seem to have this idea that any amount of luck automatically inherently makes something non-skillful. This is wrong. This is demonstrably wrong. I do not understand how anyone can continue to think this way when it is openly wrong.

Unrelated to you, I also do not understand why anyone has this ridiculous idea that "prediction" (predicting switches, for example) is 100% luck. Oh my goodness understanding the way your opponent thinks is not luck. There's "prediction" in sports too, use your heads
#10MrFingers07Posted 3/27/2014 6:04:55 AM
I guess the same people are constantly in the top because they're really lucky, right GameFAQs?
---
:D Brawlin' Mains: R.O.B., Lucario, Pikachu, Wolf