This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How much is Pokemon a skill-based game?

#21ZeldaTPLinkPosted 3/27/2014 8:52:24 AM
hopelessurchin posted...
Pokemon takes no skill. It takes plenty of strategy and luck, but no skill. >_>

Strategy is a skill.
---
3DS FC: 1865-0018-0383
#22MuTeKiKenPosted 3/27/2014 10:03:39 AM
-Plenty of possible team combinations based on stats, types and moves
-Balancing the above three to how you see fittest
-THEN we get to the battling

Battles can have plenty of randomness about them. However, the possibility that someone loses through bad luck alone is very unlikely.
---
Currently playing - A game for hardcore fans only
#23XashowdPosted 3/27/2014 10:46:13 AM
In-game? Around a 7. Aside from various Battle Facilities (Which love to annihilate you at higher ranks with all manner of hax, and not just luck), beating trainers is a matter of skill, while catching pokemon is a matter of luck. There tends to be more battling than catching though, so it's higher than 50/50. Since I mainly stick to the main game stuff, I voted 7.

Competitively? I'd say closer to a 3. While I prefer the main game, I do keep myself aware of the competitive stuff, and the amount of luck involved in players aiming for the perfect pokemon is staggering. Sure, in Gen 6 one can tilt a lot of variables in their favor, but with the amount of topics I've seen on this board alone of people hatching metric tons of eggs just to get one perfect pokemon shows that even after lining up what one can in their favor, it's still a matter of luck getting what you want. It's like Catching the pokemon, but the variables are simpler. In Catching you worry about HP, Status, Ball Type, and the pokemon you aim to catch. In Breeding you've got the parents stats, egg moves, ability, Shiny potential, and the can of worms that is IVs. And IVs alone are what make the breeding process heinously luck-based for those that pursue it. Then you've got the variables in battles. In the main game, type, level, HP, PP, Pokemon Stats, and the strength of your moves are all one really has to worry about. In the metagame, you've got speed priority, status moves, accuracy, hold items, move effects, and now Mega evolutions on top of that, so there's a lot to keep track of. Since more time goes into the breeding than the actual battling, there's more luck involved, so it gets a lower score. Also might be why I don't competitively battle much, since there's more luck involved, and I don't have a fond history with luck-based mechanics.
---
I am Xashowd, the Nocturne Zephyr! ACNL Dream Address: 4800-3072-7421 Elysion.
3DS FC: 3695-0746-1582. Xashowd. PM me if you add me.
#24JDM_JevPosted 3/27/2014 11:13:51 AM
It takes skill and nads to out predict good players, since you have a vague idea of what they're trying to do with each poke on their team (play to their strengths and cover their teammates and use the best attacking/supporting moves they can).

Then you play against bad players and they get the jump on you with horrible garbage or stupid out of place moves.

For example I switched my Chesnaught into an Aegislash shadow ball earlier and next turn after I leech seeded he killed me with aerial ace (what).
---
DIY
drill dat oil up in yo oatmeal
#25Plasma EXEPosted 3/27/2014 11:21:11 AM
Leaning towards a 7. A very big chunk of the game revolves around knowledge on the possible pokemon people run and the trend of common movesets (example being the prominent usage of sword dance aegislash to the more recent mixed aegislash, which is less about skill and how much you play.. There's also luck which can be very difficult to work around when its not in your favor.

However, Those who have been playing competitively since earlier gens are more likely to play well consistently because they know what to expect from earlier gen pokemon than those just jumping in this gen or even just 5th gen (cause weather wars were bs and really decreased the viability of a lot of defensive pokemon).
---
The official Shiki-Ouji of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
3DS FC - 2750-1413-5336. Friend Safari: Tyogre/Sawk/Meditite
#26Rook_the_RangerPosted 3/27/2014 11:27:02 AM
Definitely 8. Luck is a significant factor, but can be controlled somewhat.

Comparing this to some other games, I would rate League of Legends a 6, Hearthstone a 6, and chess a 9.5.
---
3DS FC: 3539-9001-1157 Pokemon name: Luxoway
RNJesus hates me.
#27BloodlustSwedenPosted 3/28/2014 8:52:29 AM
I'd say 6-9 depending on the particular situation.
---
Strip the flesh! Salt the wounds! *Manical laughter*
#28RikiazPosted 3/28/2014 9:15:45 AM
Rook_the_Ranger posted...
I would rate League of Legends a 6

What? The only thing that is luck based is crits and they are pseudo random.

chess a 9.5.

Lolwhat?!

Chess is a 10. How can it be less? There is no possible way for anything except skill to have any influence on a game of chess.

A 10 doesn't mean that the game requires more skill than something with a 7. It just means that there are less influences on the game aside from skill.
---
Pokemon X/Y Friend Code: 0216-1793-7222 PM if you add me
Metang -- Ferroseed -- Klefki