This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is The Whole "Bond With a Your Pokemon" Thing kind of odd?

#1cooljew17Posted 3/29/2014 11:18:40 AM
Throughout the whole game, like pretty much every single Pokemon game from beginning, middle and end, the games constantly tells you to "love" and/or "bond" with your Pokemon. Pokemon are more than just your tools for battle or just company on a long lonely journey, they are also your best friend! This is pretty much said from the anime, the games, and from writers and developers, that's one of the biggest messages they constantly throw at you.

...yet in the games, if your pokemon has crap IVs/EVs, you throw that thing away like it was a piece of gun wrapper. Caught a wild pokemon that doesn't have your preferred nature? Release! An egg that was just hatched that didn't have the IVs you want? Release! Found a shiny of the same pokemon you already have an established relationship (sorta speak) with? Release! (Not the shiny, the one you already have)

My point is, I feel grind stats like IVs just kill that whole "bonding with your Pokemon" type of deal, despite how much of that message is constantly thrown at you. As soon as you find or hatch a better version of the pokemon you already have, the original one gets thrown away in the name of better IVs. All that "friendship" was all just to get you to finish the main story as fast as possible just so you can throw it away when you can hatch better ones for more competitive battles.

I get it, it's just a game and I treat it as such, but I wish that whole bull about friending or bonding with your pokemon bullcrap would just end because in Pokemon games, it's absolutely nothing like that. Either that, or get rid of the bloody IVs because really, it's nothing more than another pointless grind stat that most people will just Pokegen for in the end.
#2DLOArceusPosted 3/29/2014 11:22:27 AM
Except only an idiot would throw away his adventure Pokémon. I used Delphox but i bred a shiny one with egg moves and other stuff. That doesn't mean it has to replace it.

Also the results of breeding very, very rarely go into the main team.
---
What do i have to do to set the language to English? because my game is in Japanese - joetendo69
3DS: 4983-5126-3707
#3SilentS89Posted 3/29/2014 11:22:38 AM
I agree, there is massive conflict between the themes of the game and mechanics of the game.
#4LostsecretPosted 3/29/2014 11:22:57 AM
Well seeing as the anime and game are catered towards kids. I think they do feel like they are bondig with pokemon. I don't know if they know or care about ivs.

When I was 10 playing pokemon red, I certainly felt attached to my pokemon.

I had a friend that used a golbat and refused to get rid of it because it got him out of a tough situation with the elite four. He used it all the time.

We were 10.
---
It don't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning's winning.
#5cooljew17(Topic Creator)Posted 3/29/2014 11:25:06 AM
DLOArceus posted...
Except only an idiot would throw away his adventure Pokémon. I used Delphox but i bred a shiny one with egg moves and other stuff. That doesn't mean it has to replace it.

Also the results of breeding very, very rarely go into the main team.

So what do you do? Put that adventure Delphox into your PC to rot in forever? That's pretty much the same thing lol.

Not my point at all though.
#6SilverZangoosePosted 3/29/2014 11:30:29 AM
That's one of the many reasons why Gen 1 was the best. No natures, IVs couldn't be manipulated and had much less relevance, and a smart player could EV their in-game team anyway.
---
Zangoose is the one good Pokemon that came after Gen 1, everything else about Gen 3, as well as gens 2, 4, 5 and 6 is awful. I do not like Gen 3, just Zangoose.
#7zxqqxzPosted 3/29/2014 11:32:51 AM
SilverZangoose posted...
That's one of the many reasons why Gen 1 was the best. No natures, IVs couldn't be manipulated and had much less relevance, and a smart player could EV their in-game team anyway.

Dude, they're DVs.
---
I don't just root for the underdog, I PLAY the underdog. SSBM Pichu FTW!
#8ShadianVisePosted 3/29/2014 11:35:39 AM
This is a series developed for its primary demographic, kids. Just because some smarter, competitive-minded people tore open the base mechanics of how the game works doesn't mean that the game is designed for those mechanics. It's not hard to understand. The game does have to have rules for how it works, and those rules can be exploited for profit if you know about them. The same applies to most games with any complexity.

Besides, Nintendo wants to avoid the topic of animal abuse when it comes to Pokemon. Take away the friendship message, and you're left with a much darker universe.
---
I stand in the place bathed in heavenly light, thou art where the gate to the Underworld opens, come forth, divine lightning! This is the end! Indignation!
#9cooljew17(Topic Creator)Posted 3/29/2014 11:35:56 AM
Lostsecret posted...
Well seeing as the anime and game are catered towards kids. I think they do feel like they are bondig with pokemon. I don't know if they know or care about ivs.

When I was 10 playing pokemon red, I certainly felt attached to my pokemon.

I had a friend that used a golbat and refused to get rid of it because it got him out of a tough situation with the elite four. He used it all the time.

We were 10.

But Pokemon Blue/Red are WAY different games than Pokemon Black/White or Pokemon X/Y.

In Pokemon Red/Blue, there was no EVs, Natures, characteristics, happiness, or breeding. And nobody that played the games knew anything about IVs. In those games, the point was actually trying to catch them all by catching and trading with other people. In fact, due to technical limitations during the time, Pokemon Red/Blue were BY FAR the most social games due to the fact that you had to physically interact with another person by using a link cable through trading and battling.

In Pokemon XY, we have moved way beyond it. Due to superior internet, we just hook up wirelessly online with random strangers to trade or battle or use GTS where people make ridicules requests like "level 10 or lower Lugia". IVs are much more emphasized by players and if you don't have the required IVs, you are out of luck in competitive battles, lettle alone also having the right natures and stuff.
#10SilverZangoosePosted 3/29/2014 11:36:38 AM
zxqqxz posted...
SilverZangoose posted...

Dude, they're DVs.

Call them whatever you want, neither name is ever used officially, and IVs is more commonly used.
---
Zangoose is the one good Pokemon that came after Gen 1, everything else about Gen 3, as well as gens 2, 4, 5 and 6 is awful. I do not like Gen 3, just Zangoose.