This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is The Whole "Bond With a Your Pokemon" Thing kind of odd?

#11SilentS89Posted 3/29/2014 10:42:49 AM
ShadianVise posted...
This is a series developed for its primary demographic, kids. Just because some smarter, competitive-minded people tore open the base mechanics of how the game works doesn't mean that the game is designed for those mechanics.

What the hell are you even saying?

It's not hard to understand.

No, it really, really is.

They designed the mechanics, they exist. They made their mechanics themselves, it is their fault that the mechanics conflict with their themes. I don't understand how you think you can twist this into blaming the players for understanding the mechanics.
#12cooljew17(Topic Creator)Posted 3/29/2014 10:44:10 AM
ShadianVise posted...
This is a series developed for its primary demographic, kids. Just because some smarter, competitive-minded people tore open the base mechanics of how the game works doesn't mean that the game is designed for those mechanics. It's not hard to understand. The game does have to have rules for how it works, and those rules can be exploited for profit if you know about them. The same applies to most games with any complexity.

Besides, Nintendo wants to avoid the topic of animal abuse when it comes to Pokemon. Take away the friendship message, and you're left with a much darker universe.

But so what? My Little Pony is supposed to be a show for kids yet the actual demographic is 20/30 year olds. It's probably the same way with current Pokemon. And just because Pokemon is supposed just for kids, it doesn't mean they show some more mature themes in story or game mechanics. It's why shows like Bugs Bunny (the 40s/50s/60s ones) are timeless and can be showed to kids or adults.

Pokemon has already been targeted for animal abuse for YEARS by many animal groups like PETA just on the basis of pokemon battling alone (in real life, we call this cock fighting). What actual difference would it make if they changed the whole "OH FRIENDSHIP" theme a bit with something a little more realistic to the game mechanics?
#13DeitylightPosted 3/29/2014 10:51:40 AM
I thought pokemon was for everyone but whatever I do agree that IVs kinda screw over the general message though.
---
FC:3840-5960-0959
Friend safari:Riolu, Machoke, and Pancham
#14cooljew17(Topic Creator)Posted 3/29/2014 11:01:01 AM
SilentS89 posted...
I agree, there is massive conflict between the themes of the game and mechanics of the game.

Oh, I guess I could have also said that in the OP instead of 4 or 5 more sentences. XD
#15SilentS89Posted 3/29/2014 11:40:01 AM
cooljew17 posted...
SilentS89 posted...
I agree, there is massive conflict between the themes of the game and mechanics of the game.

Oh, I guess I could have also said that in the OP instead of 4 or 5 more sentences. XD

I don't think it was a wasted effort on your part, there appears to be people who require more explanation than my summary provides.
#16DartkunPosted 3/29/2014 11:42:16 AM
Or the game is built for different people with different play styles. Not every mechanic has to appeal to the hardcore breeders and not every mechanic has to appeal to the casual beat-the-game and never play it again.
---
http://i.imgur.com/PUVNqBo.jpg
#17SilentS89Posted 3/29/2014 11:47:13 AM(edited)
Dartkun posted...
Or the game is built for different people with different play styles. Not every mechanic has to appeal to the hardcore breeders and not every mechanic has to appeal to the casual beat-the-game and never play it again.

Why not? Wouldn't it be better if that wasn't the case?

The "casual beat-the-game" apparently doesn't care about the mechanics, so why not have the mechanics appeal to the "hardcore breeder" who do care?

Given the chance, why wouldn't you want the themes and mechanics be in harmony? How does this conflict improve the game more than harmony would?
#18FightingPolygonPosted 3/29/2014 11:46:34 AM
Pokemon are just tools for battling.
---
My 3DS FC: 1246 - 8764 - 0707 IGN: Polygon
If you want a Starter with an unreleased ability or the link to the X and Y Pokegen program, PM me.
#19DartkunPosted 3/29/2014 11:53:18 AM(edited)
How do you know the "casual beat-the game" player doesn't care about mechanics? They don't care about competitive battling mechanics. They probably do care when they experience the game the first time through.

I love this "if it doesn't appeal to me, who cares, no one cares" ideology.

They give you the tools to experience the game how people want. If you don't believe Pokemon are just tools and they are your friends. Amie helps people experience that play style.

If you think Pokemon are purely tools to battle, then you can ignore Amie.

You don't have to max-min everything. In fact, the problem with too many games is they try to allow you to do everything and you're benefited by doing absolutely everything.

Reminds me of the transition from Oblivion to Skyrim.
---
http://i.imgur.com/PUVNqBo.jpg
#20SilentS89Posted 3/29/2014 11:52:31 AM
Dartkun posted...
How do you know the "casual beat-the game" player doesn't care about mechanics? They don't care about competitive battling mechanics. They probably do care when they experience the game the first time through.

I love this "if it doesn't appeal to me, who cares, no one cares" ideology.

Ok, lets say they do care, how do the mechanics appeal to "casual beat-the game"?

Why would "casual beat-the game" want mechanics that conflict with the themes of the game, wouldn't they want them to match even more than the competitive players?