This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Idea to fix the IV system: Pokemon Food!

#1hopelessurchinPosted 3/29/2014 1:15:33 PM
I think I just had a good idea for a way to balance the pros and undo some of the cons of IVs. I have been closely following the issue of IVs for some time now, reading and posting in topics about them for a few Generations of this series now. I was brainstorming on that today, when I had this idea:

This idea would flesh out the story of IVs as well as the gameplay. IVs could be tied to the overall health of the pokemon. Wild pokemon would have the same sort of randomized IVs they do now to reflect the various lifestyles and dietary habits of wild pokemon. Hatched pokemon would have IVs reflecting the health of their parents. However, no matter where they start at, pokemon IVs can be altered once per level with food. Different foods will give different amounts to different stats. This allows you to prioritize which stats you want first, if you're using something actively (such as through the story) while it levels. It would be balanced such that max IVs would be possible in 20-40 levels depending on the food you use. Now, I know what you're thinking: what happens when a pokemon hits level 100? At level 100, a pokemon would gain the effects of the most recently eaten food (until said food is used) every time they participate in battles with a total opponent pokemon level equaling 100. This would allow a level 100 pokemon to easily gain a ton of IVs just running through the cakewalk the E4 becomes for level 100s. This allows for players to just chose to have crazy random stats through the story, then specially food train and EV reset to have their story pokemon competitive capable. It also cuts down on the need to mass breed because anything with the easily achieved correct nature and ability can be raised competitive ready.

There would be a logical gap related to no longer needing food to stay at maximum possible health, but Gamefreak, so...

What do you think? Find my flaws, so i can refine the idea. `-`
---
Hopeless urchins from the city gather around - The Mountain Goats
#2MyNameIsGibsonPosted 3/29/2014 1:18:56 PM
Interesting but how will Hidden Power type be determined?
---
3DS FC: 0576-5058-1932 IGN: Gibson
Psychic Safari: Grumpig, Espurr, Duosion
#3SilentS89Posted 3/29/2014 1:19:39 PM
MyNameIsGibson posted...

Why not have them be the same way as always?

Just now you can change them via food.
#4hopelessurchin(Topic Creator)Posted 3/29/2014 1:53:20 PM
SilentS89 posted...
MyNameIsGibson posted...

Why not have them be the same way as always?

Just now you can change them via food.

Oh, and you can lower IVs with junk food that increases friendship and/or affection. This isn't abuse or anything because you can't really make them unhealthy, but you can choose to have a munchlax named cakeface with whom you just eat junk food and cuddle in pokemon Amie!
---
#5kazooie959Posted 3/29/2014 1:55:10 PM
Somebody posted the idea a little bit ago about using the wings as boosters rather than boosting EV's by one
---
I am the great Kazoo! FEAR THE FEATHERS!!!
Poke Balls. Don't leave home without them.
#6AmesangPosted 3/29/2014 1:59:37 PM
I'm alright with the system as is with the IVs representing a Pokémon's genetics, 'cause then breeding the "perfect Pokémon" makes me feel like a mad scientist. @_@
---
"Help! Help! They've destroyed my cousin's brain!! Oh, my god! They've already milked you, haven't they?!!" -- Phoncible P. Bone
#780s_MemoryPosted 3/29/2014 2:05:18 PM
No matter how much you wish and dream, this will never happen. Sorry. But you can keep dreaming!
---
In loving memory: The 80's
1980 - 1989 You will be missed, but never forgotten...
#8hopelessurchin(Topic Creator)Posted 3/29/2014 2:21:26 PM
80s_Memory posted...
No matter how much you wish and dream, this will never happen. Sorry. But you can keep dreaming!

Meh. Just knowing that people like my idea is reward enough. I'm the successful sort of creative: I really like having my ideas judged.
---