This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Very new to competitive play (need advice)

#11tezzilla(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2014 8:23:14 PM
porygon_z_129 posted...
tezzilla posted...
true that it does more dmg but i could aslo use my scizor as a scout no?

SD sets are meant to be sweeping,not scouting.If you plan on Scout Scizor,replace SD with something else.

oh makes sense ok will go find heart scale and re-learn x scissor or where is the tm?
---
"I can understand you wanting to kill yourself, but can't you think of another way to commit suicide?" Duo Maxwell
#12NoxatroxPosted 3/30/2014 8:33:49 PM(edited)
tezzilla posted...
yes but dragon pulse i jsut found out is a egg move i don't want to waste this perfect iv zard.... (and i don't want to spend another week on another one hehe

In that case you might as well just keep Air Slash on him. Replace Fire Spin with Focus Blast or Earthquake though, they are both TMs. Fire Spin works on Charizard Y, but I think you would have to run a bulkier set. Also if you are new to competitive battling, you may want to test you team on a simulator like Showdown (there are others if you dislike Smogon) first before breeding them out.

I added a bit to my original post as well if you want to check it out.
---
3DS FC: 2036-8182-0874 IGN: Ankon
#13tezzilla(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2014 8:38:37 PM(edited)
Noxatrox posted...
tezzilla posted...
yes but dragon pulse i jsut found out is a egg move i don't want to waste this perfect iv zard.... (and i don't want to spend another week on another one hehe

In that case you might as well just keep Air Slash on him. Replace Fire Spin with Focus Blast or Earthquake though, they are both TMs. Fire Spin works on Charizard Y, but I think you would have to run a bulkier set. Also if you are new to competitive battling, you may want to test you team on a simulator like Showdown (there are others if you dislike Smogon) first before breeding them out.

I added a bit to my original post as well if you want to check it out.

Hmm i replaced fire spin with earth quake and now looking into Gliscor as ground flying is a good typing. does he appear in ground safari or flying? and all my friends are grass safaris for some reason...

yes that is why im looking into Gliscor as he is interestingly fun ( i have seen people use him. but some poeple poison him on purpose with toxic orb i have no idea y though.)
---
"I can understand you wanting to kill yourself, but can't you think of another way to commit suicide?" Duo Maxwell
#14Yami_no_UnmeiPosted 3/30/2014 8:50:49 PM(edited)
You can get a hidden ability Gligar from hordes (can't remember the route but I'm sure someone can help you out). I don't mind breeding you one quickly if you'd like either.

For Gengar, if you're not gonna go Mega, give him a Focus Sash or Life Orb. Focus Sash will net you kills you'd otherwise die to and give you an easier shot at a lategame sweep, life orb will just make you an even more terrifying nuke.

If you use your scizor as a scout, go Choice Band. It's a fairly predictable choice but it does what it does very well.

Edit: Just to expand a little, the reason people hold Toxic Orb on Gliscor is because it gets the ability Poison Heal which allows it to get recovery while poisoned, similar to leftovers only much better. It also prevents Gliscor from being burned or slept.

Also, your team needs some form of hazard control for your Char Y (who takes a devastating 50% hit when switching into Stealth Rock). It might not be a bad idea to bring some hazards of your own. Ferrothorn can set rocks and/or spikes for you as well as walling a number of attacks aimed at your Charizard. I don't really see sun being an issue for Ferro since it dies to Fire either way.
---
-I'm just here for the fanboy drama-
Pokemon X: Lucas 4227-2159-0400 - Ground Type
#15tezzilla(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2014 8:54:49 PM(edited)
Yami_no_Unmei posted...
You can get a hidden ability Gligar from hordes (can't remember the route but I'm sure someone can help you out). I don't mind breeding you one quickly if you'd like either.

For Gengar, if you're not gonna go Mega, give him a Focus Sash or Life Orb. Focus Sash will net you kills you'd otherwise die to and give you an easier shot at a lategame sweep, life orb will just make you an even more terrifying nuke.

If you use your scizor as a scout, go Choice Band. It's a fairly predictable choice but it does what it does very well.

i understand that choice band can make scizor very deadly but for some reason i don't like the idea of only allowed to use one move and another downside to SD is that, i need to gamble as the opponent might have a surprise flamethrower or fire blast as i have experienced in battle maison (i swear they cheat!!! just kiddin)

oh i don't mined haveing an Gliscor if u don't mind breeding it i could trade u a lvl 1 scyther with 5 perfect IVs missing special atk 0 evs admant tech

my friend cod is: 0705-4072-8512

---
#16Yami_no_UnmeiPosted 3/30/2014 8:53:47 PM(edited)
Alright, give me just a few minutes, I just got home. I'll PM you when it's ready.

Also, I edited my post above to answer a few more of your questions that I didn't notice at first.

If you're not happy with Choice Band, Life Orb can produce a similar effect but it does slightly reduce Scizor's effectiveness as a revenge killer.
---
#17tezzilla(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2014 8:59:42 PM(edited)
i could make a rapid spinner..... i do have a squirtle but its crap but i can go on a breeding craze again (my joystick is already acting funny as i always put a coin under it in lumuise city going in circles as i watch tv haha)

i was thinking of muscle band but don't know if its that effective and pluse now with Gliscor in my team i have 1 slot left so ethier a trap layer thingy or a spinner to remove spikes and stealth rocks
---
#18Yami_no_UnmeiPosted 3/30/2014 9:08:07 PM
Forretress can both spin and lay hazards, but it can be a liability since many things will try to set up on it.

Tentacruel can do the same with Toxic Spikes, but he might not appreciate the sun.
---
#19tezzilla(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2014 9:12:26 PM(edited)
what nature is best for gliscor? im guessing timid or jolly
---
#20Yami_no_UnmeiPosted 3/30/2014 9:15:47 PM
tezzilla posted...
what nature is best for gliscor? im guessing timid or jolly

Impish generally. Timid would lower its Attack, so that's definitely out. Gliscor is a defensive Pokemon, so the defense boost is usually preferred even on more offensive sets.
---