This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question about chaining

#1bwebber17Posted 4/21/2014 2:37:46 PM
Do you have a lower chance on continuing your chain if you enter a patch four steps away from you? I've seen so many conflicting reports on this
---
FC: 1822-1028-9260 IGN: Raphael
#2bwebber17(Topic Creator)Posted 4/21/2014 3:03:44 PM
Bump
---
#3bwebber17(Topic Creator)Posted 4/21/2014 4:12:00 PM
Bump
---
#4FuneralCakePosted 4/21/2014 4:23:06 PM
That is when the chance to continue the chain is the highest, not the lowest. The speed of the patch seems to affect things as well. The faster the patch moves (there are four speeds, iirc), the higher the chance will be that your chain will continue.

There's a lot of really bad information about the Pokeradar out there.
---
WOW MUCH CAKE MANY FUNERAL SO CUTE WOW
| 3DS FC: 3437 - 4335 - 3104 | | Friend Safari: Panpour, Wartortle, Frogadier |
#5bwebber17(Topic Creator)Posted 4/21/2014 5:18:03 PM
FuneralCake posted...
That is when the chance to continue the chain is the highest, not the lowest. The speed of the patch seems to affect things as well. The faster the patch moves (there are four speeds, iirc), the higher the chance will be that your chain will continue.

There's a lot of really bad information about the Pokeradar out there.

Yeah I know about the speed, just not the location (outside of edges). If a fast shaking patch is right next to me and in the middle of the grass field, would it be a bad idea to step into it?
---
#6deathscythe257Posted 4/21/2014 5:27:03 PM
Side question since on the topic of chaining, is it worthwhile to use a max repel while using shiny bush hunting?
---
Yes, this is a signature.
#7ClassyOldHatPosted 4/21/2014 5:30:37 PM
deathscythe257 posted...
Side question since on the topic of chaining, is it worthwhile to use a max repel while using shiny bush hunting?

It's cheaper per-step overall to use Super Repels, though if you don't want the "would you like to use another?" message to come up slightly less frequently, it may be worth the extra money to you.
---
Pokemon X Grass Safari (Oddish, Sawsbuck, Gogoat) FC: 4124-5539-4848 IGN: Zach
#8FuneralCakePosted 4/21/2014 6:54:49 PM
bwebber17 posted...
Yeah I know about the speed, just not the location (outside of edges). If a fast shaking patch is right next to me and in the middle of the grass field, would it be a bad idea to step into it?

Yes, that would be a bad idea.

What you want to do is go for the patches that are four spaces away, shake the fastest, and are surrounded on all sides by other patches. Even that won't guarantee that the chain continues, but it has the highest chance of succeeding.

If the fastest patch is right next to you, it's better to just walk 50 steps and try again. Oftentimes I will go into more risky patches at the start of a chain and only become more cautious after I get a good chain going, since I feel I can get higher numbers more quickly that way.
---
WOW MUCH CAKE MANY FUNERAL SO CUTE WOW
| 3DS FC: 3437 - 4335 - 3104 | | Friend Safari: Panpour, Wartortle, Frogadier |
#9bwebber17(Topic Creator)Posted 4/21/2014 7:17:33 PM
FuneralCake posted...
bwebber17 posted...

Yes, that would be a bad idea.

What you want to do is go for the patches that are four spaces away, shake the fastest, and are surrounded on all sides by other patches. Even that won't guarantee that the chain continues, but it has the highest chance of succeeding.

If the fastest patch is right next to you, it's better to just walk 50 steps and try again. Oftentimes I will go into more risky patches at the start of a chain and only become more cautious after I get a good chain going, since I feel I can get higher numbers more quickly that way.

Ah cool, thanks. It's not such a problem having to start over (except for stupid Liepard; why can't everything be like Route 5?), just that I can never find a trustworthy source that has all the facts about chaining. :/
---