This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Pokemon could use some HEAVY streamlining of its battle system.

#1TaticalWarriorPosted 5/9/2014 11:06:32 AM
I mean mostly interface.
What I would suggest is:

1. When landing a SE attack, a "!" mark would appear over the targeted Pokémon instead of saying "It was super effective on (Pokémon!". If it was 4x stronger, then "!!" would appear. Not very effective would display a "weak" symbol and "X" would be for immunities.

2. While the animation for throwing Pokémon happens in the start of a battle (for single player), have the menu already booting up in instants, so the player can choose the move already, and when done so, the intro is cut if it is still playing, and it will go directly to the battle phase.

3. When gaining a Level, have a message saying "Pokémon gained a level! (old level) > (new)". Who else doesn't rolls their eyes when bringing a newly hatched Pokémon into a end game fight? "Pikachu is now Level 2! (seconds pause)... (status), Pikachu is now Level 3!... (status), Pikachu is now Level 4!... (status), Pikachu is now Level 5!... (status) (...)" Then you think it is over and... "Fletching is now Level 8!, Fletching is now Level 9...".
There is no need to show one by one.
Better yet, instead of having a message, just have the bottom screen show the results for the match. When the foe faints, the bottom screens show who gained exp and who leveled up at the same time, showing the little pokemon sprites icons. Also, after defeating a trainer, it could be nice that the battle screen would end and while the screen is changing to the map screen, and giving you back movement, the bottom screen would show the battle results for some seconds. Who played Rogue Galaxy would have an idea.

4. No need to show each Pokémon fainting individually in a double/triple battle. I mean, the camera doesn't even shows it up close. Just have all of them fainting together if this happens.

Those are some examples. It doesn't seems big deal at all, but in RPGs, where you go through this more than 1000 times per playthroughs, even more on a game as Pokémon where the clock can reach 300 hours easily, this can actually save you hours and hours of sitting through the motions. EVEN more for who is playing Pokémon for a while now.
---
Keyblade Warrior working for the Great Bear Union!
Proud designer of Chip, the Runner Up Megaman Legends 3's Mascot Contest!
#2The_DragonwPosted 5/9/2014 11:18:39 AM
That last one sort of does happen if a move KOs them all at the same time.
---
3DS FC:195085778687- Flying: Swanna, Doduo, Rufflet SV:1496 IGN:Jin Region:UK
The official Super Enraged Shadow Lugia of everywhere
#3DarthTempusPosted 5/9/2014 11:20:47 AM
Bravo sir, I am very much in agreement with your proposals.
---
GT: DarthTempus
3DS FC: 1993-7078-7813 (Alan)
#4I-Flygon-IPosted 5/9/2014 11:24:34 AM
"it's super effective" is iconic, you can't remove that

just have it show up as the pokemon's health is going down, rather than after the damage has been dealt

and yeah hordes all die together

but i agree with the rest of your points
#5RaltriosPosted 5/9/2014 11:40:18 AM
#3 can't really happen, though. I think the reason GF hasn't done that already is because it allows you to see which specific levels the pokemon learns which moves at.

Internet databases unfortunately isn't enough of a justification to remove that.
---
3DS FC: 3050 - 7604 - 7991 Friend Safari: Octillery, Floatzel, Frogadier
#6TaticalWarrior(Topic Creator)Posted 5/9/2014 11:54:13 AM
Raltrios posted...
#3 can't really happen, though. I think the reason GF hasn't done that already is because it allows you to see which specific levels the pokemon learns which moves at.

Internet databases unfortunately isn't enough of a justification to remove that.

Pokedex should cover that. In fact, Pokédex could hold much useful information, instead of being the barebones thing we have.
---
#7TaticalWarrior(Topic Creator)Posted 5/9/2014 11:55:54 AM
I mean, it should list all the moves the pokémon learn by level, based on the pokémon of the highest level you have. If you capture a lvl 7 Metapod, it shall list only Tackle, String Shot and Harden. But if you level it up enough, or get one Butterfree lvl 100 from a friend, the pokedéx updates.
---