This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

There needs to be a Timidity Clause

#31The_Sol_BladerPosted 5/31/2014 3:17:09 AM
wolf rider posted...
I'm starting to think half the people on this board don't actually play pokemon but just like to theorise about it.

They do play the game, but they are not very good at it

Doesn't mean your idea isn't stupid and you should git gud
---
R - Official Matador of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board - Rose_Mage's loving husband
3DS FC: 4682-9838-9692 TSV: 841
#3217MasterPosted 5/31/2014 3:20:19 AM
wolf rider posted...
17Master posted...

If anything, if an excessive number of turns pass (though I would place that value much higher than fifty), if one player has used significantly more attacking moves than the other, the aggressor loses since he/she clearly is not getting anything done. That is also a terrible idea, but it is better than what was proposed, in my humble opinion.

Yeah, punish people for trying to win. That's a better idea.

I have to wonder whether anyone here has actually played competitive sports.

Trying and failing on a significant enough scale. Spamming attack moves is not the only way to win. I am amused a good amount that you mention competitive sports yet somehow have a problem with players playing defense.
---
https://www.youtube.com/user/17Master
Official Milotic of the Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire boards.
#33ZeldaTPLinkPosted 5/31/2014 3:22:47 AM(edited)
wolf rider posted...
chimpact posted...
if they're using a stall team their main way of doing damage to you is via status or hazards or weak attacks. you shouldnt be too worried about your taunt user not lasting the battle.

Gliscor / Mew are great example of taunt stallbreakers with decent recovery options in poison heal / softboiled.

you should really hit up smogon or watch some youtube battlers if you really want to improve. Dealing with problems instead of complaining about them [no offense] is a great way to get better

How many actually competitive taunt users are there though?

I'd say at least 20.

Edit: ninja'd by judgmenl
---
3DS FC: 1865-0018-0383 Trainer/Mii name: Caio. Safari: Snorunt/Bergmite/Cloyster. PM me if you wanna trade safaris.
#34wolf rider(Topic Creator)Posted 5/31/2014 3:25:19 AM
Judgmenl posted...
wolf rider posted...
chimpact posted...
if they're using a stall team their main way of doing damage to you is via status or hazards or weak attacks. you shouldnt be too worried about your taunt user not lasting the battle.

Gliscor / Mew are great example of taunt stallbreakers with decent recovery options in poison heal / softboiled.

you should really hit up smogon or watch some youtube battlers if you really want to improve. Dealing with problems instead of complaining about them [no offense] is a great way to get better

How many actually competitive taunt users are there though?

Infernape
Tyranitar
Mega-Mawile
Deo-D
Haxorus
Mega-Aggron
Mega-Banette
Bisharp
Chandelure
Conkeldurr
Crobat
Dusclops
Talonflame
Greninja
Gardevoir
Gengar
Gliscor
Gyarados
Hawlucha
Heatran
Keledo
Mandibuzz

do I have to continue?

Viable = giving a poke taunt without taking away a move slot which it needs to fulfil its other role. Mandibuzz, Deo-D and Dusclops seem to be the only good ones, which I've used before, but swtiching out to a wallbreaker already uses up two turns of taunt.
---
Pkmn Y IGN: Yagi
FC: 0447 6935 5049 TSV: 2357
#35wolf rider(Topic Creator)Posted 5/31/2014 3:26:17 AM
17Master posted...
wolf rider posted...
17Master posted...

If anything, if an excessive number of turns pass (though I would place that value much higher than fifty), if one player has used significantly more attacking moves than the other, the aggressor loses since he/she clearly is not getting anything done. That is also a terrible idea, but it is better than what was proposed, in my humble opinion.

Yeah, punish people for trying to win. That's a better idea.

I have to wonder whether anyone here has actually played competitive sports.

Trying and failing on a significant enough scale. Spamming attack moves is not the only way to win. I am amused a good amount that you mention competitive sports yet somehow have a problem with players playing defense.

Please tell me which sport has no time limit.
---
#36JudgmenlPosted 5/31/2014 3:27:57 AM
wolf rider posted...
Viable = giving a poke taunt without taking away a move slot which it needs to fulfil its other role. Mandibuzz, Deo-D and Dusclops seem to be the only good ones, which I've used before, but swtiching out to a wallbreaker already uses up two turns of taunt.

A lot of those Pokemon can sacrifice a move for Taunt. You're just trying to find holes in my argument. Hell some of them even have Taunt in their main build (e.g. Infernape) or have such a strange movepool that there's one or multiple "filler" spots (Talonflame, TTar, Hawlucha...).
---
http://i.imgur.com/sUtdyzN.png - http://weblab.cs.uml.edu/~rdupuis/gamefaqs-avatars/
#teamkyogre #zangoosesucks
#37chimpactPosted 5/31/2014 3:28:31 AM
even though the TC isn't right about there being ways to stop stall teams from being effective. There aren't that many good taunt users in OU lol

Infernape - not that viable in ou
Tyranitar - just run mega and dd, taunt isnt needed
Mega-Mawile - sd can do well against stall
Deo-D
Haxorus - not that viable in ou
Mega-Aggron- not that viable in ou
Mega-Banette - not that viable in ou
Bisharp
Chandelure - not that viable in ou
Conkeldurr - usually AV
Crobat - not that viable in ou
Dusclops - not that viable in ou
Talonflame
Greninja - need the 4 coverage moves or haze
Gardevoir
Gengar - ehh
Gliscor
Gyarados
Hawlucha -.....
Heatran - torment / roar is better against stall
Keledo specs is better vs stall
Mandibuzz - knock off is better against stall

you forgot to add mew and tornadus-t, and possibly even thundurus, but thundurus can just use a mixed set with psychic (for mega venu) or nasty plot to deal with stall.
---
Youtube.com/chimpact - wifi battles, let's plays
#38wolf rider(Topic Creator)Posted 5/31/2014 3:29:14 AM
Judgmenl posted...
wolf rider posted...

A lot of those Pokemon can sacrifice a move for Taunt. You're just trying to find holes in my argument. Hell some of them even have Taunt in their main build (e.g. Infernape) or have such a strange movepool that there's one or multiple "filler" spots (Talonflame, TTar, Hawlucha...).

Fair enough about those ones.
---
#39ZeldaTPLinkPosted 5/31/2014 3:31:46 AM
Wants to beat stall.

Refuses to use moves that beat stall even when viable pokemon learn them.

Refuses to play to win and talks about banning things instead of beating them with the tools the game offers for that.

And he thinks he knows e-sports. LOL

Also, Gengar with Taunt is great and you people should feel bad for not recognizing it.
---
3DS FC: 1865-0018-0383 Trainer/Mii name: Caio. Safari: Snorunt/Bergmite/Cloyster. PM me if you wanna trade safaris.
#40wolf rider(Topic Creator)Posted 5/31/2014 3:34:38 AM
ZeldaTPLink posted...
Wants to beat stall.

Refuses to use moves that beat stall even when viable pokemon learn them.

Refuses to play to win and talks about banning things instead of beating them with the tools the game offers for that.

And he thinks he knows e-sports. LOL

Also, Gengar with Taunt is great and you people should feel bad for not recognizing it.

You have misinterpreted what I've said in every one of those statements.
---