This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you think Mega Evolutions mean the end of cross-gen evolutions?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. Do you think Mega Evolutions mean the end of cross-gen evolutions?
1 year ago#1
Pokemon gaining new evolved forms in later generations has been a thing since Gen 2. But I think that Mega Evolutions could very well be the end of that. Design-wise, many Mega Evo's could've worked as regular evolved forms just fine. Mawile, Banette, Absol, Houndoom, etc.

Pokemon that desperately need an evolved form like Sableye, Torkoal and Chimecho likely won't be getting one. Instead, they'll get Mega Evolutions.
---
www.youtube.com/GeneralSecura YouTube Let's Player
3DS FC: 0018-0730-4057 / In-game name: Jos / Pokemon X/Y Friend Safari: Shuppet, Phantump, Golurk
1 year ago#2
I have thought about that recently, too. I was thinking about some of my favorite Pokemon who are pretty much useless in PVP, and how maybe if they got new evolutions they would improve, but then, they probably would just get mega stones instead now. Which kind of saddens me, because I like the changes that general evolution brings - some mega forms aren't all that much different, just "add spikey hair and glowy things".
---
"I see opinions. Walking around like regular facts. They don't see each other. They only see what they want to see. They don't know they're opinions."
1 year ago#3
I think we'll see a mix in the future. They just had to really put emphasis on the Megas because it's one of their big gimmicks this gen.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
1 year ago#4
Sylveon.
---
FC: 2809 8856 1709 Shanoa
(message deleted)
1 year ago#6
Davin134 posted...
Sylveon.

Only there to promote the Fairy-type. Also, Eevee had 7 evolutions already, so one more wouldn't be a problem.
---
www.youtube.com/GeneralSecura YouTube Let's Player
3DS FC: 0018-0730-4057 / In-game name: Jos / Pokemon X/Y Friend Safari: Shuppet, Phantump, Golurk
1 year ago#7
No, I don't think so.

However, I do think that it has made future normal evolutions for Pokémon that did get a Mega Evolution extremely unlikely, like Banette or Manectric.
1 year ago#8
Fwahm posted...
No, I don't think so.

However, I do think that it has made future normal evolutions for Pokémon that did get a Mega Evolution extremely unlikely, like Banette or Manectric.

Well, they could always take the cheap way out of that, and just have the story say that the most current research was wrong, and those Pokémon can still evolve...
---
Official Fighting-Type Gym Leader of MGM GFAQS Pokeleague
Come visit us on the Battle Boards! FC:0774-4449-5042 FS: Fairy (Spritzee, Snubbull, Floette)
1 year ago#9
-You can cross Garchomp, Tyranitar, Gardevoir, the five starter Megas, Gengar, Alakazam, Ampharos, Aggron, Lati@s, and Mewtwo off the list for being for being impossible (Mewtwo would have been forms most likely)
-Kanga may have gotten a pre-evo, and still could
-Scizor was basically out, unless they wanted to Porygon-Z it
-Lucario was unlikely to get a completely new evo, but a form was possible
-Abomasnow was possible but my gut says unlikely
-I'm still surprised Gyarados and Aerodactyl didn't get evos in gen 4 like their gen 1 brethren, but if it didn't happen then it likely wouldn't have happened at all
-Pinsir and Heracross could have gotten Scizor-style evos at some point, but Megas are better for them
-Medicham and Houndoom could have gotten evos at some point, but they also look like somewhat finished Pokemon
-Absol, Banette, and Mawile were the ones that were most likely Pokemon that lost evolutions. Banette's Mega was to even it with Duscolps getting an evo in gen 4. Absol felt unfinished the way it is associated with Legendary Pokemon, and would have likely received an evo at some point. Mawile was always screaming for an evo. When I first saw it I thought it had at least one evolution.
---
I'll think of something creative to put here another time.
1 year ago#10
I really hope not. Only time will tell. Kinda have a bad feeling about it, though.
---
KITTY PANTIES KITTY PANTIES KITTY PANTIES KITTY PANTIES
| 3DS FC: 3437 - 4335 - 3104 | | Friend Safari: Panpour, Wartortle, Frogadier |
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. Do you think Mega Evolutions mean the end of cross-gen evolutions?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived