This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Was not the 3rd Generation the best by far?

#1BlakeFarmer1Posted 6/12/2014 7:34:27 AM
As a person who has played since the 1st gen I think by far this was the best. The originality of the pokemon wasn't exhausted yet at that time, it provided a lot of peoples favorites down to today.

I think the hoenn region...even with the graphics it had back then, was the best looking region of them all. I was like 12 when it came out and I was just floored with the jump from the 2nd Gen to then. It was beautifully done, story was great, my favorite collective group of pokemon. Just great.

Your thoughts?
#2aliadnan37Posted 6/12/2014 7:40:48 AM
crystal was the best. coolest looking pokemon with actual sprite animations. 16 badges and the ultimate secret boss. also less surfing
#3kingjam1Posted 6/12/2014 7:41:21 AM
You mean the worst by far. I fail to see what is good about that gen. Battle Frontier in Emerald was good. Doubles was decent. Abilities added some depth. Everything else was meh.

Nostalgia is one powerful force.
---
Can't think of anything
#4rojsePosted 6/12/2014 7:42:39 AM
Gen VI for graphics, competitive, pokemon collecting and Pokemon breeding.
Gen V for story and in-game post-game (we'll see how ORAS affects this when its released)
First gen you played and loved for the nostalgia.
---
The Adventure of Miss Jocelyn, Ace Trainer Model Fashionista Extraordinaire:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/696959-pokemon-x/69366760
#5Steel_ShadowsPosted 6/12/2014 7:43:37 AM
In terms of mechanics, I think I like what Gen IV added the most. The physical-special split was huge for a lot of Pokemon. In terms of the games, I liked what GSC did the most.
---
Games are like women, they don't have to be smokin' hawt to make me happy.-Mr_X_Returns
Member of the IRDC, where everything's a dirty joke.
#6Holoogamooga_Posted 6/12/2014 7:46:32 AM
In terms of the region itself, I do like Hoenn quite a bit. I don't mind the surfing but I wish there was some more variety in pokemon on the water.

Mechanically, 5th Gen is still my favorite. Faster battles, scaled experience gain, and it maintained the physical/special split. Also the best story, which is good on the first playthrough and a huge waste of time on subsequent playthroughs...

4th had the best gimmick though with the Poketch. I still miss the step counter for egg hatching and the daycare monitor.
#7BlakeFarmer1(Topic Creator)Posted 6/12/2014 7:50:50 AM
Ehh I guess I just look at the series not by the ablities of pokemon and typing as much as I do wanting a cool pokemon I guess. Like if the pokemon sucks but looks cool I don't want it but I don't want the 3rd or 4th try on a type of animal.

I'm a artist...so I look at how these pokemon look, nowadays they look kiddy, childish, no real skill in the designs because they've used up all ideas for pokemon by mimicking animals. Name one animal that didn't end up in some form a pokemon. Rarely in any generation after the 3rd do any of these pokemon look appealing to me. Cool maybe, but poorly done.

I think its the artist in me.

I loved the pokemon in 3rd gen. I loved surfing because, at the time, my favorite pokemon were either ice or water. I mean who didn't like diving to find items or pokemon, new cities, or diving in that boat? Come on!!?? Nobody agrees?

But yes, Nostalgia is very strong.
#8BlakeFarmer1(Topic Creator)Posted 6/12/2014 7:53:22 AM
I feel as if the creators did such a great job gen 1-3 they had no choice but to come up a little short with the pokemon themselves after that. They can add anything they want, all the improvements they can make, but the main reason we play is for the POKEMON you know? If they look recycled and kiddy and you're 22 like me...it kinda sucks.
#9RenzAllen7Posted 6/12/2014 7:54:43 AM(edited)
A camel..? I havent seen a camel pokemon I think...and I love gen 3 coz it had that tropical watery atmosphere like my real hometown in real life xD..
Edit:nvm we have camerupt..but the dude doesnt look like a camel to me
---
MII:Naito IGN:NIghtaile FC:5257 9155 3524
http://renzallen.deviantart.com/art/Mega-Hoenn-starters-459761444 ORAS can't wait :3
#10rojsePosted 6/12/2014 7:54:11 AM
RenzAllen7 posted...
A camel..? I havent seen a camel pokemon I think...and I love gen 3 coz it had that tropical watery atmosphere like my real hometown in real life xD....

Everyone forgets Camerupt.
---
The Adventure of Miss Jocelyn, Ace Trainer Model Fashionista Extraordinaire:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/696959-pokemon-x/69366760